Does anyone clean chaeto?

razzpatazzz

I'm about to start a chaeto reactor finally and was wondering if people "clean" chaeto for pests like you do with frags or fish QT. I hear chaeto can carry a lot of things but haven't heard many people talk about cleaning or QTing them or how to do it.

You either QT it, like you do everything else, or you get it from someone you trust. 

Remember, if you're going to properly QT, you have to QT EVERYTHING. 

You either QT it, like you do everything else, or you get it from someone you trust.

Remember, if you're going to properly QT, you have to QT EVERYTHING.

Hmm thanks for the input. Since I don't have room for QT right now I'll try to get it through algae barn or similar since it'll likely introduce less pests than ones from LFS or other tanks

I got mine pre-cleaned from Algae Barn

https://www.algaebarn.com/product-category/macro-algae/

Yeah I am thinking about doing the same. I tried to see if people had issues with algae barn but it seems pretty good so far.

Wow. Glad this was posted. I had never thought of QT for Chaeto.

Razz, let me know how it goes. I. Plan to use Cheeto in my build in about 3 months

Will do :)

I have some "clean chaeto" myself, but I admit that my invert QT/frag system is chock full of aiptasia, bubble algae, etc.  No ich or velvet or fish parasites, though, because no fish.  

My display has no aiptasia or bubble algae (that I have seen) which proves that my frag QT is serving a purpose...

Years ago I added a fuge and chaeto to a disease and pest-free system, and within days had an ich outbreak and months later, bubble algae. As others have said, quarantine or buy from a trusted source.