Another Marine Land Fail

xabo

What type of lighting are you using? Do your lights provide a spectrum of UV light? Certainly not an authority in this subject but could this be a result of UV degradation of plastic?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/UV_degradation

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

400W Metal Halides........................do to the configuration of the basement/ductwork lights are aprox. 9"-10" above the tank. perhaps it's time to think about LEDs.

What type of lighting are you using? Do your lights provide a spectrum of UV light? Certainly not an authority in this subject but could this be a result of UV degradation of plastic?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/UV_degradation

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Great question. I'm guessing it's more likely radiant heat softening the plastic than UV exposure making it brittle. 

400W Metal Halides........................do to the configuration of the basement/ductwork lights are aprox. 9"-10" above the tank. perhaps it's time to think about LEDs.

LED's would certainly help redirect/reduce heat. You could also improve ventillation. 

Do they sell replacement braces? In the mean time, maybe a couple bar clamps will help just in case...

I put a piece of foil across my center brace when I had halides, but where yours cracked, it prob wouldn't have helped.

GeJ8Pbi.jpg

I believe that you can find replacement frames for the top. An old member, Coral Hind, has pictures of a repair that he did in the past on a broken brace. One of his more recent posts shows a picture of it, in fact. However, the break was not in the frame where yours is, but was an more in the crossmember. Search on posts that he's made lately and it may turn up.

That trim looks like it was overheated by the halide. I've had that happen to the same tank twice and then we stopped using the center halide and there were no more issues with cracked trim.

It's not the fault of the tank, but the lighting application itself.

Do they sell replacement braces? In the mean time, maybe a couple bar clamps will help just in case...

I put a piece of foil across my center brace when I had halides, but where yours cracked, it prob wouldn't have helped.

GeJ8Pbi.jpg

I believe that you can find replacement frames for the top. An old member, Coral Hind, has pictures of a repair that he did in the past on a broken brace. One of his more recent posts shows a picture of it, in fact. However, the break was not in the frame where yours is, but was an more in the crossmember. Search on posts that he's made lately and it may turn up.

Yes you can buy replacement braces. In fact, I just sold the one I had on Saturday night......the night before I noticed the damage. I've had the brace for about a year and couldn't give it away.......

Yes you can buy replacement braces. In fact, I just sold the one I had on Saturday night......the night before I noticed the damage. I've had the brace for about a year and couldn't give it away.......

Isn't that always how it works? You keep something forever (hoarding) and then finally toss it. The next week you need it. 

Isn't that always how it works? You keep something forever (hoarding) and then finally toss it. The next week you need it. 

Yeah but...................the Wife doesn't see it that way  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh: