Rip mp10es magnet

Neto

Is this very usual on mp10 vortechs? I got this mp10 on a trade but i am not sure if i got it like that or not. My guess is that it broke when i started using it.

a46c0d380e71b4bd9023f8fa2b9fb44a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the magnets are known to rust and blow open like that. Is that what’s going on I can’t tell?

You are correct... i wasnt aware of this issue myself. I guess my next step is to buy a whole new wetside.

People have complained that the rust killed off all their SPS. I had it happen once but SPS was fine maybe I caught it early but I guess that’s a topic for another thread

yeah, I used it for one day, and decided to take another look. This is an old mp10es I got on a trade.. I even have to change the dry side bearings but that I knew... I guess I will spend the money on a new wet side, this one is done.

Unfortunately, it is fairly common. Rust on the impeller spindle is pretty common as well (I get it on the exposed portion just in front of the ceramic bushing). With that said, I've had three Triton test analyzed and none of them showed harmful levels of heavy metals.

Happened to me, whole thing rusted and popped. Fortunately it was in my car trunk!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just had this happen. Killed about 10 sps peices. Lucky the other 250 sps peices are fine. My magnets were around 5 years old

Wow.

What's in there that kills anything in the tank? Isn't it just GFO off the rust?

Rare earth magnets use a variety of heavy metals. Neodynmium and iron are relatively common today. Sometimes other metals like nickel and cobalt. Not sure, however, what health effects these other metals can have on coral. It's unlikely to be good. 

What's in there that kills anything in the tank? Isn't it just GFO off the rust?