Gel Glasses from yesterday's meet

John Ford

The first 20 people to show up yesterday after the dooors opened received a free pair of orange glasses that cancel 80% of the blue spectrum. They also gave about 10 or so away for raffle prizes.

So, after yesterday's meeting, a small group of us went to dinner and then to John Coppolino's house to hang out in his basement and admire his tanks. At one point, we started passing around a pair of the glasses that we gave to Matt Pedersen and WOW. As many already know from his talk and our recent TOTM feature, John's tank is super-impressive. But, man oh man, the colors just became unreal when we put a pair of these glasses on. They let through the glow of fluorescent proteins in the corals while blocking the blue light that stimulates the fluorescence. Even John seemed stunned by how the colors just jumped out at you.

We've got to get more of these.

I'm not sure who to thank but these glasses are pretty cool!!

By the way, it was Alan's idea to get some as door prizes. And, to make some available to others who didn't get there early, we raffled off a handful.

I got a pair when I came in the door. I haven't tried them yet, but will when the lights are on.