Living Room Nano Peninsula

YHSublime

So I'm actually in love with the tank right now. Ya know, nothing is ever perfect, but it feels like I'm very close. But what I'm not in love with at the moment is the reefing. It's starting to feel a bit like a chore, so I'm working on changing that by working with some new camera lenses. I'm also experimenting with using my skimate as a fertilizer for my house plants. I'm going to continue to try and keep it spicy instead of thinking about getting out. 

Here's a Squamosa (I believe) clam I recently picked up. I know it's ORA. I'm pretty smitten with it. Also pictured, my CSB that has moved into the back of the tank now.

52569367346_f438544992_o.jpg

52569367271_82cbce81e0_o.jpg

A green slimer. This thing has grown so quickly that I think it looks exactly the same as when I got it. It's incredibly different. I'm starting to think I'd like to do a bunch of stags, but not enough room to play like that without shadowing everything else below.

52568907737_d6c8118a26_o.jpg

This Space invaders Pectinia is easly the size of a saucer, and I grew it out from a polyp. I had another half that broke off from this that I sold, so I imagine if I had kept it whole, I'd have a dinner plate sized pectinia.

52569367341_fe59852509_o.jpg

There's just a lot of coral variety & color in this photo, and it makes me happy!

52569813730_e5cf5441b0_o.jpg

I don't know what kind of torch this is, but I think it looks just as nice as the Holy Grails, I'm excited about watching this one grow out. This was a grab from @lynn.reef.nerd  (Reef Nerd Aquatics) 

52568907492_9613b37105_o.jpg

This is an OG Dragon Soul colony. I started with 2 heads about 2 years ago. By the end of the first year, I had about 15 heads on it. I trimmed it back down to 3 heads when it was in the nano, and I'd say in another year it's easily back to it's 15 probably + heads now.

52569895583_2a4c0278fc_o.jpg

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

13 minutes ago, howaboutme said:

Looks nice! How big is that clam? It looks huge!

It’s pretty big. It’s like 7 years ago when you used to get the big 8” maxima’s from Dr. Mac. It’s easily 8”+. I’ll have to look at old photos of my PEA 3” maxima grab and see if it’s grown any over the years!

Yeah, it looks to have accomplished a bit of filling in:

8529E6EE-F9E9-4200-AAEE-C2598CDE69AB.thumb.jpeg.7b29523553b059d99e3cc8330ece03db.jpeg

1753577C-4E41-4963-8794-1DB6529E53B6.thumb.jpeg.271f9fef1e7ee71b70b5c46995bdc9e6.jpeg

E5726AB3-2E48-4D09-94E2-680F166D1744.thumb.jpeg.f9c04cbef0c8d9d6e997617c6bb11239.jpeg

Let me know how the skimmate fertilizer thing goes. I have banana plants in my place that need lots of fertilizer but I imagine the salt might make them unhappy. 

5 hours ago, nburg said:

Let me know how the skimmate fertilizer thing goes. I have banana plants in my place that need lots of fertilizer but I imagine the salt might make them unhappy. 

i dilute with fresh water, been doing it for the whole summer now for outside, still figuring out fit inside, as it doesn’t smell great.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
24 minutes ago, tpallas said:

This tank is coming up on its 12th birthday!

the Mr Aqua? 

11 hours ago, tpallas said:

Yeah, March of 2011

I need to be better about updating photos here of it, it's a far cry from the last photo I took:

52203022598_76fc8e98c1_k.jpg

I keep trying to turn it into a proper frag tank, and at one stage I was just using it to cycle rock. Right now it's down to racks of zoas, an elegance, trumpets, and a court jester goby. There is a piece of SPS that is growing that I thought was dead on some rock, so I went ahead and got a doser that still needs to be set up. 

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, tpallas said:

Looking good! Do you have aggression problems with the space invader?

Space invader is far away enough from et I haven’t had any issues!

Hey how did you frag the torch? I have an indo gold growing out of control and am trying to figure out a way to frag (maybe some sort of small bone saw?)

On 3/4/2023 at 5:27 PM, tpallas said:

Hey how did you frag the torch? I have an indo gold growing out of control and am trying to figure out a way to frag (maybe some sort of small bone saw?)

I just used big coral clippers. I know some folks use a dremel tool and a disk. They are pretty brittle. 

I’d caution to only use the coral snipper a few inches from the polyp. Skeleton can crack long ways and rip the polyp in half. Doesn’t always buy it can Happen. 

I use a snipper to get chunks then my fancy band saw to cut individual polyps if requested. Band saw makes nice smooth cuts :)

10 hours ago, nburg said:

I’d caution to only use the coral snipper a few inches from the polyp. Skeleton can crack long ways and rip the polyp in half. Doesn’t always buy it can Happen. 

I use a snipper to get chunks then my fancy band saw to cut individual polyps if requested. Band saw makes nice smooth cuts :)

Thanks - thats been my experience. Without access to a band saw, I was wondering if a bone saw would work.

15 hours ago, tpallas said:

Thanks - thats been my experience. Without access to a band saw, I was wondering if a bone saw would work.

It’s pretty hollow like a bird bone so a hand saw would probably work fine

Well, figured I'd update the bad with the good. Here's how things are going:

I've been traveling so much lately it's very rare that I'm home, let alone around the tank. At the start of this year, I lost my CSB. I don't know what happened to it, came home from a work trip and there was literally not even a trace. 

Most recently, I started losing my big colony of Cali Tort, and a few other corals STNing around. I was able to save a few pieces of it, but the Jedi Mind Trick was creeping up the side, and it was stinging all the other SPS under the bottom without me noticing. But that didn't explain the SPS that was being effected that was on the other side of the tank. 

My alkalinity was a little bit high, but consistent. So I checked my salinity. 1.031

I don't know how it creeped up that far, but I added about 7 gallons (slowly) of top off water to get back to normal. 

52749675490_c629c16ab4_k.jpg

While I was trouble shooting, I thought maybe my doser was acting up, so I took both my bubble magus dosers apart, replaced heads, tubes, greased the rollers, and made some additional dosing containers. 

I decided because I've had it sitting around, and I was home for a bit, I should probably set up my Apex. 

It's still very messy, but now it's messy on the wall instead of the floor (almost.)

You'll notice there is a DOS attached, and I'll probably set that up by the weekend. I was working off a Wifi powerbar, but everytime I lost power, or there was a flicker, it could never connect back right, huge pain in my neck. 

52749759543_5887bbbb3f_k.jpg

52748734782_d24146657e_k.jpg

Man, that sucks sorry you're loosing stuff!! good news is that you caught it and hopefully can get it turned around. 

1 minute ago, nburg said:

Man, that sucks sorry you're loosing stuff!! good news is that you caught it and hopefully can get it turned around. 

What's wild is that the most resilient corals I have were the ones that reacted negatively. I think I've lost a Bill Murray colony, which I'm not thrilled about, but we will see. The clams, zoas, and LPS all seem unphased. The fish unphased. The Birdsnest didn't even bat an eye. 

The bright side here is that I've had this Apex for close to a year sitting on my couch, I'm already feeling a little more "organized" as I zip tie cables, and mount power packs to the wall, etc. Also, the frag tank is filled with zoas and is popping off.

Honestly, my work schedule isn't slowing down any, so I need to do what I can while I'm around, and other then that let it recoop. 

4 hours ago, Pedro said:

All the stuff I have received from you is doing well so far. Once it grows out you are welcome to pieces.

a gentleman and a scholar. Some of its doing alright.

27 minutes ago, WheresTheReef said:

Sorry to hear about the struggles. Our tanks can be needy. You put off giving them attention for a bit and they be like

1Kr2.gif

haha, it’s very true