PBT shipped at 68

Fishie

hey guys, i received my PBT from LA DD, but the water temperature was 68 :(

my tank runs at 79

pretty big temp change... put it in my QT (new setup) which is at 77 ...i really only did the QT because of the shipping temperature.

wasn't happy putting it through these swings...but it is roaming happily...picking on the glass & pellets..

the only thing i wanna keep an eye out for is ick...otherwise i would much rather put it in a stable tank than a 10g QT.

any suggestions?

I'm assuming that you floated the bag for a while. Is that correct?

Are there other fish in your other tank where you want to put it? If there are and you can afford to do so, leave the new fish in the separate tank for a bit. Keep the water quality high and, if possible, shade the sides of the tank so there's nothing to startle or stress it. Keep it well fed and let it recover from the stresses of shipping before tossing it into a tank (even a larger one) where it's surrounded by competitors and, possibly, aggressors.

I'm assuming that you floated the bag for a while. Is that correct?

Are there other fish in your other tank where you want to put it? If there are and you can afford to do so, leave the new fish in the separate tank for a bit. Keep the water quality high and, if possible, shade the sides of the tank so there's nothing to startle or stress it. Keep it well fed and let it recover from the stresses of shipping before tossing it into a tank (even a larger one) where it's surrounded by competitors and, possibly, aggressors.

yea i drip acclimated for 2 hours...and then moved it to the QT tank...

regretfully the drip temp had only been raised to 73 and the QT was at 77...so it had a bad jump there which i didn't realize till it was late...

In most cases with fish you don't need to drip acclimate but can float the bag in the target destination tank and add/remove water from the bag by the cupful. Floating the bag in the larger tank helps shift the temperature quickly and steadily. 

In any case, let your fish recover from the stresses of shipping and gain some strength before your next step.

Ammonia will be a challenge in a 10g. Lots of water change and have an ammonia badge in there.

i used half display tank water...that should already have some beneficial bacteria in it right...

i'll keep an eye but are we talking daily or every 2-3 days water changes...

We are talking 100% water change every day. and I'm not even comfortable with that. Tangs poop a lot. Display tank water has no bacteria on it. Even if you used live rock 2 years old covered in bacteria I would still worry. Get that thing out of there. Even trace amounts of ammonia will sicken the fish to where it won't eat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by gmerek2

i used half display tank water...that should already have some beneficial bacteria in it right...

i'll keep an eye but are we talking daily or every 2-3 days water changes...

I don't think very much beneficial bacteria is in the water column. From what I understood, the majority of bacteria adheres to surfaces of stuff in your tank like filter media, rocks, etc. 

Hmmm. I QT'd my tangs (years ago) in a 20 gallon tank, not a 10. It can be done. Depends on the size. Mine were about 3 inches at the time and I was running a sponge filter in the tank. But you do have to monitor for ammonia.

Update had it in the 10g for 24 hrs

Then had it in DT sump for a day

Then had it in acclimation box for. Half a day... released it into tank and my fox face and purple tang and angel all didn't like it ... figured I'd let the skirmish go on for a little bit 30 minutes... end of which the big aggressor oddly enough my always peaceful foxface was exiled ... I let them be this way overnight ... the next morning I saw a gash mostly from the purple tang

The angel and the pbt were friendly now ... the PT would occasionally charge ...

As a precaution I did this separation which I'll keep in place for 2 weeks

Allows me to focus feed the PBT more which it's already taking pellets of a couple kinds quickly

No flashing , rubbing, spots ... I hope this specimen from divers den is the same quality I have received in the past

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Fishie

He's a little guy, isn't he? Separation is good. It'll give him a chance to build up some strength and become acclimated to his surroundings. That's why we want to give fish a chance to recover from all the handling and stresses of the long chain of custody that these fish go through on the way to you. Sometimes, if you have a fish that's a bit smaller than the main agressor(s), you can stack some rock in a corner to build cavities that the larger fish can't get into to serve as a refuge for the smaller fish. I did this when introducing a new chevron tang into my tank several months back after some long-time residents started getting really aggressive, nipping away at his tail until it was half gone. The new rock work allowed protection and, after a week, everybody got along. 

yea he is little, about 3" maybe little more

he doesn't run tho when the purple would charge...stood his ground...so i just want to fatten it up before removing the barrier...

the wrasses and anthias move between the barrier so its great for them , not so much for the angel and the PT :)

Beautiful tank. Mad props on the red dragon I can't keep it !

I agree with both of those sentiments.  Red dragon doesn't live in my tank, and you have a beautiful tank.

the barriers are down now for a couple days..everyone is getting along...PBT has promoted itself to being the no 2 in the tank ...actually saw it boss the angel around a little bit.

Can't say enough good things about divers den-despite the poor shipping ...very healthy specimen..eats everything already!