Maxijet->Tunze stream conversion

Davidfernandez5000

Hello,

For a while now there's been a thread going on at reefcentral about turning your maxijet into something like a tunze stream (http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=823609) . I recently tried out this mod on a cheapo (not maxijet) powerhead and am pleased to say that i got results. The powerhead that i used put out about 170 gph and after the conversion is putting out maybe 700 gph (being generous here lol). Here are some pics and a vid, sorry for the bad quality btw. Enjoy :D

IMGP3172.jpg

IMGP3166.jpg

IMGP3165.jpg

th_IMGP3167AVI.jpg

Here is the RC Link

Nice work, what did you end up using for your rod? I have really wanted to do this but I couldn't figure out where to get the rods (before the posted the online links). Was it easy to glue it together?

Thanks

Not to rain on any tinkerers parade but I just aim a MJ from the back of an 18" deep tank directly towards the front glass and get a very wide somewhat random dispersion.

I used regular rigid airline tubing for the shaft and yes it was easy to glue together, i just used super glue since the cyano acrylate is already in there (i think on the rc thread they say to get thick ca) ill post some pics of the internals later

• 2 weeks later...

I made one of these and got it into my tank today. I ordered the "large" setup from mjmods.com and I think with shipping it came to about $27 (I already had the MJ1200). Works great! In the threads they claim this is about 1200gph

Notes:

*Do not try to cut carbon fiber rod with wire cutters, you will destroy the ENTIRE rod.

*The prop assembly needs to have half an inch or more play along the rod, otherwise it will be too close or too far away from the stopper (my stopper doesn't work because I made the rod too long and had to grind it down. I have to plug/unplug the unit until it spins the right way)

Shopping List:

"large" precut shroud

"large" centering cap

stainless steel rod (You only need one type of rod)

carbon fiber rod

Dumas 3004 prop

I got the rigid airline at petco

I think shipping is a flat $5. Group order, anyone?

$20 of that was for a precut shroud, a centering cap and shipping. The shroud is made out of a gray coupling which matches the MJ housing very well, and lets me use a bigger propeller. I am very happy with it and consider it a great investment. I am sure the cost could be brought down, but even with what I spent it is cheaper than a comparable SEIO pump, and maxi-jet has a much better rep than rio (who makes seio pumps)

• 2 weeks later...

I got the kit from www.mjmods.com and I just finished modding a maxi-jet 1200. WOW!!!!! Just one increased the current in my tank easily 4-fold. Anyone looking to do this, I would suggest doing two MJ 900s, giving you more freedom in where you would like to angle the current. Two 1200s would be too much. I guess it depends on the size of your tank. I'm defninitly getting at least one more 900 for my tank. It was amazing how much debris the current swept up. I've already cleaned my overflow sponge twice. Well worth the money and an awesome DIY project. Thanks to mjmods.com

James

Hey James how did you mount yours? I glued mine to a mag-float, which gives great flexibility in placement as long as you want it pointing straight out from the glass :)

I just used the suction cup mount that came with it. I currently have it mounted on the back with the flow directed behind my rock, which is pretty good at stirring up debris. Tons of stuff got kicked up when I first put in on. I have it setup to only come on with my lights right now since its so much current. Gives everything time to chill when the lights are off.

Hey James how did you mount yours? I glued mine to a mag-float, which gives great flexibility in placement as long as you want it pointing straight out from the glass :)

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone know what happened to the mjmod website? I get a 'Page Not Found' error, and I'm wondering if it's a temporary glitch or they are down for good.

• 2 weeks later...

Does any one thing that two modded MJ1200's would be too much, too little or just right for a 55 if faced toward each other and put on a wave timer, and I saw the thing about shutting down to go along with the lights, how nessecery is it to give your tank a break from current.

LASTLY DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY GOOD PICS OF HOW THEY MADE THEIR PROPELLERS?

Oh well this answered most of my questons so here's a good refference for the rest of us on how to make these beautiful pieces of work! :wink:

:idea: http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.p...mp;pagenumber=1 :idea:

Edited by jason the filter freak

Does any one thing that two modded MJ1200's would be too much, too little or just right for a 55 if faced toward each other and put on a wave timer, and I saw the thing about shutting down to go along with the lights, how nessecery is it to give your tank a break from current.

LASTLY DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY GOOD PICS OF HOW THEY MADE THEIR PROPELLERS?

Oh well this answered most of my questons so here's a good refference for the rest of us on how to make these beautiful pieces of work! :wink:

:idea: http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.p...mp;pagenumber=1 :idea:

Just buy the kit from mjmods.com . It comes with the propeller and everything else you'll need. For just a 55 gallon, 2 of the 1200 mods would be wayyyyy too much. I would go with 2 of the 900 mods, or just one 1200. That still might be a little overkill on just a 55gal. And you can't use them on wavemakers. Since the maxijets run off of AC(alternating current) the propeller can start either way, either pushing water out of the mod, or pulling water in. You have a 50/50 shot of which was the propeller goes. That is why there is a stopper place at the front of the mod to prevent it from sucking water in. If the propeller starts the wrong way, it will push the propeller housing up and will hit the stopper, which in turn forces the propeller to start going the other way. Once that happens, the force of it wanting to push water out also pushes the propeller assemble backwards where it will not hit the stopper and continue running. If you put these on a wavemaker, it will continually stop and start, which means that the propeller will be hitting that stopper over and over, eventually breaking the propeller. Hope this helps. Its kindof hard to put into words what happens with the stopper. Go to jmmods.com and they have instructions and pics on how to do everything.

Well aren't all power heads AC? What can bout make wave meakes witht athat,s not a Sea swril or other similar piece of hard ware?

DOH! :blush: We have a few thousand dollars of RC Planes in the house.... and it just occurs to me that propellers are directional, where as what comes in the power heads aren't! darn I feel dumb...

Edited by jason the filter freak