Need to choose an RO/DI unit soon

larryag59

Just graduated to saltwater from freshwater.  Am starting small, and have a low budget.  I have a BioCube 14 gallon, and am starting with a fish-only tank, although I would love to add coral at some point. Filled the tank two days ago with Nutri-Seawater and CaribSea Arag-Alive. Got a damsel to start the cycling process. Will need to to a water change and/or add water due to evaporation, and assume that I need to get an RO/DI unit sometime soon.

Questions:

1) Is an RO/DI unit recommended, or will just an RO alone do?

2) Saw a recommendation for a used SpectraLife 5-stage for about $180 from the SpectraLife site. Is buying used a good idea?  I'd like to keep my purchas price to under $150 if possible, but this seemed like it might be worth busting my budget for.

3) Since my tank is only 14 gallons (it actually took only about 9 gallons of the Nutri-Seawater - I guess my shelf rock and substrate displaced the rest) maybe I can "get away" with a cheaper solution?

4) Recommendations for specific brands and number of stages I need would be appreciated, keeping in mind my budget.

I look forward to getting involved in this hobby, as this has been a lifelong fascination of mind. All help provided is appreciated.

Larryag

Larryag,

Your tank is only 9 gallons of total volume.  When doing a water change, your looking at 10% weekly, or 1 gallon per week.  Evaporation depends on many factors, but if you have a hood, that will cut down the amount that evaporates.

Unless you plan on making a ton of water, in my opinion with a 14 gallon tank, it would be easier in the long run to purchase the salt water and rodi water from the local fish store, as long as you live near one.  

In having to make your own water, besides the cost of the rodi unit, you need a place to store the water, mix the saltwater and in my opinion, it would be much easier to just go to the local fish store, buy 5 gallons of each, every 2-3 weeks and see how that works.

Most LFS, charge 1.25/gallon for saltwater and .090/RODI water, or at least they did several years ago when i was buying water.

Plus you will probably be at the LFS, looking at fish or a new coral for your tank anyway :)

Once you upgrade to anything over 50 gallons, then i would look into the RODI set up.

My first tank was 20g and I did a 5g water change every two weeks. I used this unit for a year and a half before I saw any TDS in the water. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Aquatic-Life-RO-Buddie-4-Stage-DI-50gpd-RO-DI-/262742572500?hash=item3d2cad7dd4:g:-uYAAOSwImRYP0tW

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Larryag,

Your tank is only 9 gallons of total volume.  When doing a water change, your looking at 10% weekly, or 1 gallon per week.  Evaporation depends on many factors, but if you have a hood, that will cut down the amount that evaporates.

Unless you plan on making a ton of water, in my opinion with a 14 gallon tank, it would be easier in the long run to purchase the salt water and rodi water from the local fish store, as long as you live near one.  

In having to make your own water, besides the cost of the rodi unit, you need a place to store the water, mix the saltwater and in my opinion, it would be much easier to just go to the local fish store, buy 5 gallons of each, every 2-3 weeks and see how that works.

Most LFS, charge 1.25/gallon for saltwater and .090/RODI water, or at least they did several years ago when i was buying water.

Plus you will probably be at the LFS, looking at fish or a new coral for your tank anyway :)

Once you upgrade to anything over 50 gallons, then i would look into the RODI set up.

If stores RO/DI water actually came in at 0 TDS this is definitely the way to go but unfortunately none of them ever do.  

I am with  smh254 in the aquatic life would probably be perfect for your needs. Or the BRS value would be more expensive in the short term  but cheaper in the long term and upgradable.

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/brs-4-stage-value-ro-di-system-75gpd-2.html

With such low weekly need, at about a buck a gallon, consider distilled water from the drugstore /grocery.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I use an Air Water Ice (AWI) Mighty Mite. It is a small unit which can by used with an adapter on the kitchen faucet, and easily stashed in a cabinet.

That said, I agree that with a tank your size, you could just buy jugs of water. A gallon of distilled water in the grocery store is about a dollar