Pay attention

edress714

Dang. I came across a few "shady" and "misrepresented" stuffs from wamas members, but this is a new low. I guess some people need to steal to stay in a hobby. 

I've met edress714 2-3 times. I've bought some stuffs from him. I've also got some free corals from him. Nice guy. Always appreciate him helping out a new guy like me.Thanks again.    

Hello all,

Just wanted to let everyone know to keep their eyes open. I had two guys come out today and buy some corals. Both times I had to step away to grab something. After they left I realized my 25 head Rastas were gone. Will never know who did it but never thought a fellow hobbyist would do such a thing. Be careful everyone!

Based upon this, I had assumed that the two arrived separately and concluded whatever business they had come for separately. 

Edress has sent both names to me. I'll be open and say that neither has a "record" here that I'm aware of. 

Unfortunately, the lesson here is to watch carefully the people that you let into your home that you don't really know. After all, this time it was coral. The next time it could be a camera, a purse or whatever might be sitting out in the open. I'd guess that maybe 99% or more of people are basically honest (or at least honest enough not to lift another hobbyist's corals!). Sadly, it's the behavior of the remaining 1% that will have to dictate our actions.

Based upon this, I had assumed that the two arrived separately and concluded whatever business they had come for separately. 

Edress has sent both names to me. I'll be open and say that neither has a "record" here that I'm aware of. 

Unfortunately, the lesson here is to watch carefully the people that you let into your home that you don't really know. After all, this time it was coral. The next time it could be a camera, a purse or whatever might be sitting out in the open. I'd guess that maybe 99% or more of people are basically honest (or at least honest enough not to lift another hobbyist's corals!). Sadly, it's the behavior of the remaining 1% that will have to dictate our actions.

While in the car with my Dad I was talking about this event. I said how I consider WAMAS to be family and it is really sad and frustrating that someone on this forum would do such a thing. We have had similar thefts happen like at FragFest a few years ago where a whole cooler got stolen, and that is a members only event. Shame on those people.

While in the car with my Dad I was talking about this event. I said how I consider WAMAS to be family and it is really sad and frustrating that someone on this forum would do such a thing. We have had similar thefts happen like at FragFest a few years ago where a whole cooler got stolen, and that is a members only event. Shame on those people.

Yep. That was (what?) two years ago, I think. Maybe three. Hilary had her cooler of purchased frags stolen and Johnny (from BRK) had a clownfish or two stolen. That was the only time we'd had a theft like that at a meeting and, since then, I've always reminded people to watch their things. 

I've talked to a few other members about this and some are feeling like they don't even want to sell to members now. This is supposed to be a community of trust. Without the trust we cant have these great benefits that a club like this can provide. Looks like tank tours are not going to be happening anytime in the near future. 

Man I am sorry to hear that. I was talking to some shop owners who had the same thing happen to them. They went to go get things or help another customer out and then bam the kids stole pieces of corals. One of the owners caught the kids stealing and what they where doing was they had a burger king cup and they would grab pieces and place them in the cup when the owners wearnt looking. I trust alot of people on here, however I would treat this like an upgraded version of craigslist. Still do trades and sales but be smart about it, when possible do public deals and always put valuables away when having members over. Never leave people alone and always do sales with someone with you. I feel thats the only way to protect yourself. 

I was talking to a LFS once that mentioned that this has happened before. I was mind blown then let alone now to hear it happened at someone's home. I remember after one of my first posts here a member messaged me that I was welcome to come over and he would show me the ropes. I couldn't be more grateful. Many members have been nice enough to have me over and it's a shame things like this could shy people away from being so inviting. However I would completely understand someone wanting to only do public meetings. Maybe I'm too much of an optimistic but I myself will continue to have faith in people and specially our club.

This is just so shady, I cant get over it. Probably at least worth contacting the police about; you could provide the info so that if it happened in the future, perhaps something could be done about it (probably not much for this incident). This individual (or individuals) also know(s) what is in your home now.

I purchased coral(s) from two members here and was invited into their homes, they were both very trusting and great people. I just couldnt imagine how alienated you'd feel after something like this. I've met up with a few other members and those transactions went fine as well.

Edited by madweazl

Well for what it's worth. I know a lot of people actually turned selling corals into a buisness or side buisness. Which is fine.

Set up a security camera in your frag room. Or tank in the living room or whatever. And don't hide it. Put it in an obvious place. They'll see camera's and won't steal. You don't gotta go all out and buy a major security system. A cheap webcam will even work. Maybe put a sign you can remove when they leave "smile your on camera"

I'd be more worried about them stealing valuables around the house kletomania is a disease. An addiction. It can be a bic pen cap. They'll get an itch to steal it. Doesn't make it okay. Just saying if they go to length's of special suit cases or even come prepared with a cup of saltwater. That's kleptomania

Edited by Joshifer