Death-co live rock

Joshifer

The only reason I'm even bringing this up is because I have a $50 gift card to petco. And it can't be used online and I refuse to buy fish from them their all half dead. And I have all the dry goods I need. And their lights suck.

But anyway. Their live rock looks nice their completely covered in purple coralline algae. I think it's Fiji. But their tanks are horrible. Can diseases like ich and etc be transferred from live rock into my new system I'm setting up? Kim said she'd give me some LR from her sump but these were really nice shaped and cool looking.

Yes, the live rock can transfer ick. However, if you keep it in a fish free tank (or Brute trash can) for 72 days it will be ick free. Then you can use it. The parasite needs a fish host to reproduce.

You should quarantine everything before you put it in your tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, they can.  If you get it you should wait two months before adding fish to avoid cryptocaryon (ich).  Not sure if marine velvet or brook can be transmitted by rock.

yes, live rock if it has been in the same system or even within ten feet of systems or fish with ich can hitchhike on the rock. this is going to be much the same very likely with rock from a member's system unless they have been diligent about quarantine and kept the rock live for at least 76 days fallow.

(edited)

yes, live rock if it has been in the same system or even within ten feet of systems or fish with ich can hitchhike on the rock. this is going to be much the same very likely with rock from a member's system unless they have been diligent about quarantine and kept the rock live for at least 76 days fallow.

A lady tearing down a giant reef system gave me a 6lb rock. The tank was gorgeous fish seemed healthy she told me no diseases. But I'm just paranoid now because of what you said. Is it possible to use ich medication while cycling? I don't wanna wait 72 days for it to die naturally. I don't think it's diseased but as a precaution. Or will the ich medication throw the whole cycle out of whack? I started my cycle today by adding the LR. Live Sand should be here Monday. I should add the rock was given to me for free. So she had no reason to lie about disease free to make a quick buck. She had over 400lbs of rock so giving me that small chunk was like a drop in the ocean to her.

Edited by Joshifer

Just because the fish aren't sick, doesn't mean the disease isn't present in the tank. Healthy fish are better able to fight off an infection before it is severe enough to show visible symptoms, so people may think the ich is not present when it is. Also, ich and other unwanted organisms can come in with corals. The best way to keep fish from getting sick is to keep them from getting stressed and provide proper care so that they stay healthy.

I wouldn't add any meds to the tank. Are you going to quarantine your new fish? I would recommend it and it could coincide with some of the time you quarantine your rock/tank. Otherwise what's the point in waiting all that time for the rock?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Just because the fish aren't sick, doesn't mean the disease isn't present in the tank. Healthy fish are better able to fight off an infection before it is severe enough to show visible symptoms, so people may think the ich is not present when it is. Also, ich and other unwanted organisms can come in with corals. The best way to keep fish from getting sick is to keep them from getting stressed and provide proper care so that they stay healthy.

Maybe I'll drop in one of my valuim in there. Lol jk.

Thanks I'll keep that in mind.

I wouldn't add any meds to the tank. Are you going to quarantine your new fish? I would recommend it and it could coincide with some of the time you quarantine your rock/tank. Otherwise what's the point in waiting all that time for the rock?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

I don't have a QT. I don't imagine it would cost much. Tank heater filter. Airstone. I think Walmart has a 10G setup for like $27. Might start that today.

What kind of fish are you getting? Scaleless fish, gobies, are less likely to get ich.

Edited by treesprite

Is it possible to use ich medication while cycling?

while cycling? not really as if you were going to use a med it likely would be counterproductive as they sustain new populations of bacterial cultures from populating quite a bit. typically one wants to have an estabilshed filter prior to treatment. there are a myriad of excellent bacteria in a bottle products out there, though, so no need for live rock. it also alleviates the issues with pests, hitchhiking parasites, and annoying algaes coming in.

I don't have a QT. I don't imagine it would cost much. Tank heater filter. Airstone. I think Walmart has a 10G setup for like $27. Might start that today.

that's a great idea - nice!

Why not just use the Petco gift card to set up a decent QT system. 

Why not just use the Petco gift card to set up a decent QT system.

My daughter took it "I'm buying you a birthday gift with this daddy" she's 6 lol didn't wanna hurt her feelings so I said okay. Just don't buy fish.

My daughter took it "I'm buying you a birthday gift with this daddy" she's 6 lol didn't wanna hurt her feelings so I said okay. Just don't buy fish.

Lol, can't really say no to that...

Nope. Sure can't. You're owned.

I sent you a private message I'm new to this taps talk app I think I sent it to your tom land account by mistake. Questions about lights

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I saw it (notification only). I can't get to it, though, without my phone which I keep elsewhere during the day....