Anyone use the Waveline DC pumps?

TonyInVa

Anyone use the Waveline DC pumps? I was looking to get a new pump and wanted one that was direct current, but I see they get a lot of negative feed back.

I have a waveline dc6000 as my return and a dc4000 in my rlss r6 skimmer. Both running for over a year now with no issues.

I have a DC 1200 on my 180g tank. I have been running it for about 8 months without any issues.

I had two of the original Waveline DC-5000's (outfitted as skimmer pumps) on my skimmer back when they were fairly new. The model suffered from a flaw that caused both pumps to become inoperative about a month apart in just about a year's time. Both were replaced by Waveline at no cost with DC-6000's (again, outfitted as skimmer pumps). In the last two years, I had one of the controllers fail. Luckily, I had a spare on the shelf. I expect more than a couple of years out of my pumps. For me, the technology is still maturing and the jury's still out. Mechanically, the pumps are pretty sturdy. Each of the failures that I've seen had to do with the electronics either in the pump (e.g. temperature sensor in the original DC-5000s and the controller in the DC-6000).  I wouldn't be at all surprised if I'm forced to change pumps again sometime in the future because of failure in the electronics.

+1 DC pumps are still developing and only going to get better.  That didn't stop me though.  I had a DC12000 replaced by AquariumSpecialty.  The impeller snagged on a flaw inside the pump body and refused to rotate.  The new one has been on line for six months with no issues.  I use it as a return pump for flow to my upstream refugium, display tank, and manifold which I am going to run equipment off of.

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately I cant wait as I need to get a new pump before I go out of country for vacation. My Mag Drive 9 doesn't always  restart after power loss. Cant put that burden on my neighbor.

Tony, I've had a similar problem with Mag pumps not restarting.  I found that the little bushings that hold the impeller shaft in place wear out.  They develop too much play, so the impeller gets off-center in the magnetic field.  It's enough to keep the impeller from turning smoothly.

I replaced the bushings, and the pump resumed working. 

Tony, I've had a similar problem with Mag pumps not restarting.  I found that the little bushings that hold the impeller shaft in place wear out.  They develop too much play, so the impeller gets off-center in the magnetic field.  It's enough to keep the impeller from turning smoothly.

I replaced the bushings, and the pump resumed working. 

Thanks Jon. That seems like what is happening. If i can get it turning by sticking a coat hanger into the pump, it is fine until power is cut off. As long as their are no problems I am fine. But imagine trying to explain to my neighbor on how to get the pump going again.