Anyone in the Gaithersburg area comfortable drilling a tank?

I live in Gaithersburg and have a 220 I want to get drilling but don't trust myself enough to do it. Was just wondering if anyone in area done it and comfortable doing it again? Or know a company that would drill for me.

Joseph, do you have the bit (new preferred)? Do you know where you want to drill on the tank? Is the thank empty? Is the desired hole location accessible? Are there any other things that you can add that would help somebody address the effort? Are you willing to absolve anybody of the risks in exchange for their help? This information would help anybody considering giving you their time to help out.

Joseph, do you have the bit (new preferred)? Do you know where you want to drill on the tank? Is the thank empty? Is the desired hole location accessible? Are there any other things that you can add that would help somebody address the effort? Are you willing to absolve anybody of the risks in exchange for their help? This information would help anybody considering giving you their time to help out.

Ok to answer these questions. I would be buying a bit if they didn't have one they would be comfortable using. Yes tank is empty and completely accessible. I would absolve the risk as long as this wouldnt be first time just coming to practice. As far as locations of holes I have to figure out what overflow I would be using. With that said would anyone have suggestions on an affordable overflow option.

Also reason this question comes up is I was going to run an hob eshopps pf1200 overflow box with a pf800 overflow as backup but a lot of people are advising me not to and just drill the tank. I'm just personally to scared to drill it myself.

Drilling a tank is easy if you just take your time and you have the equipment.

A new bit is preferred simply because it grinds away the glass more quickly and with less heat (as a result). A new bit (of decent quality) is probably good for at least 10 holes in 1/2" glass before things start to noticeably slow down as compared to the first hole drilled. Having a new bit on hand is just a courtesy to whomever is helping you out because it makes the job easier.

You'll need to pick your overflow style and hardware before you go out to buy the bit, though. After you do that, you can line up some help. 

By the way, there are a lot of decent videos on Youtube that can show you how straightforward the process is.

I would strongly recommend a bean animal overflow. as you don't have to drill the bottom.  As for drilling, I bought 2x 10g tanks from petco's $1 per gallon sale to practice on before I drilled my tank.  Is very easy if you have the proper tools.  Just make sure you take your time and let the tool do the work.

I would strongly recommend a bean animal overflow. as you don't have to drill the bottom.  As for drilling, I bought 2x 10g tanks from petco's $1 per gallon sale to practice on before I drilled my tank.  Is very easy if you have the proper tools.  Just make sure you take your time and let the tool do the work.

Do you have a link to a bean animal overflow?

+1 it really is an easy task once you get over whatever nerves you may have. just do the necessary reading and research, watch a couple BRS videos and you'll be a pro in no time!

Drill baby drill!

I'm willing to help you out and I have bits for 3/4", 1", and 1.5" ABS bulkheads.  They're not new, but they've only drilled a few holes each.  There's always a chance the tank will crack when drilling, though, so I am a bit nervous about drilling someone else's tank.

I'm certainly willing to come over and bring my bits and offer moral support and advice as you hold the drill and risk cracking your own tank. 8)

It is much easier than you think. Really no chance you will crack the tank. Smaller tanks maybe but not a big 220 with 1/2" glass. You aren't cutting, you are grinding. Keep it wet and let the weight of the drill do the work and you will be fine. Don't bottom drill almost 100% chance the bottom is tempered. And don't drill too close to the edge or another hole.

Thanks. I'm going to see what overflow I'm going to go with and then contact you about some coaching and support.

As long as you are not tired and can hold the drill in the same position for an extended time, you should not have any problem drilling such thick glass with a new or minimally used bit. There are folks who would be happy to coach and encourage.

We really need to have another drilling lesson at a meeting. That's what finally got me over my fear of trying to drill a tank, and over the years since then I've drilled a lot with varying sizes of holes and tanks.

Ok I've ordered an overflow and new hole saws so just waiting for them to come in and I'm drilling the tank.

Awesome