The Sickness

I figured I would take the time to repost my tank build on wamas being that i picked up the tank from a wamas vendor . I couldn't pass up the deal I got on this tank and I've always admired bow front tanks. So it begins the upgrade from my 150 gallon to this 285 gallon bow front . I affectionately call this tank "The Sickness" because I feel this hobby is an addiction I am afflicted with.

IMG_20150828_184900_zps4eu7avuw.jpg

IMG_20150828_185354_zpsymnkcmh0.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice....  Great shot with your little one in front of the tank. Between the two girls, you have the makings of a sure-fire mermaid pic. 

That sump in the background... wasn't it listed for sale here recently? I was eyeing it but it was just a tad too wide for for a space that I was thinking about. 

This my wife's version of what she wants the tank to look like... Part of the deal is I have to accommodate this being the upgrade is less than ideal in her opinion .c89203755f72311254e5da6ad4ce746e.jpg

And so the build began with me opting to make the stand rectangle instead of curved like the tank. I once owned a flat back hex and while I loved the tank ,I hated the stand because of the limited height, odd angles and dimensions. I opted to make this stand out if 2*6 to carry the load and to minimize the bracing. Also made the stand 38" tall so I don't have to bend over to look in. c3b11a427f496bf0b5e7b45b170eb4dc.jpgf6b108ba939af68e0c8d273ba2679c5b.jpg

So here is my result of skinning the stand . I used 3/4/inch birch on all finished surfaces and double layered the top so the tank sits down in the plywood to cover the 1 inch acrylic bottom.

554a6009272e4e6d6ca6a8d29868e36c.jpg651dd89901beb5fe69ec5ffc5ce7b90e.jpg96f0964b07f36bbe24ded5f092bf287d.jpgb67e1a3fb7c19508ea67e807ce917c5e.jpg

Nice looking stand. Are you going to add that sump under the stand? The center brace in the front might make it tough unless it's removable. Could you sister the front-top support and get rid of the front center brace?

Edited by WheresTheReef

Nice looking stand. Are you going to add that sump under the stand? The center brace in the front might make it tough unless it's removable. Could you sister the front-top support and get rid of the front center brace?

Good eye on that.

Even if you can get it in through the top, I'd make sure there was an easier way to do it. Nothing worse than not being able to pull the sump without draining everything, even if you think you'll never have to do it.

Holy cow. That stand is built as solid as any.  Looks good.

I ran a quick beam deflection calculation assuming that the stand is 8' long and that the framing is built up from 2x6's. Neglecting the 3/4" fascia (and focusing on the front access span since it's the weakest), you were right to add the center brace (since you're looking at 0.11 inches of deflection without it). With the center brace, your deflection is down to 0.07".  However, if you had a strong glue-up of the 3/4 inch fascia to the beam and factor that into the equation, you're only looking at 0.07 inches deflection of the full span without the center brace. That is, that additional 3/4" on the beam effectively replaces the center post support.

Now, had you used a 2x8's on that top beam (and neglecting the additional strength given by adding the 3/4" plywood, you'd have a max deflection of .04 inches at the center of the span without a center brace. With the solid glue-up between the 3/4" facia and the beam, the deflection drops to 0.03 inches without the center upright and to 0.015 inches with it.

At this point I had the cabinets and book shelves built from scratch and started on the canopy, which is the toughest part because of the curve. We wanted a simple look so I recessed the doors and used a clean modern trim with shaker style doors. 33392eece259fe5882604a5940faf2d6.jpg500e6dc8ffbbc4ce9e360ce2b2c94555.jpg84565ab3b7d7fa150888d53d13afc139.jpge1553b82e695c866d32311fdf13c3b0c.jpg

Wow - that is starting to look really sharp. Can't wait to see it when it's done. Just curious, any thoughts on what kind of finish your going to use?