How should I set up this Fish Only tank?

AUFishGuy

We recently lost our Valentini Puffer, fiancees favorite fish, when he decided to go carpet surfing. I have been wanting to get her a new one but don't want to put another in my reef tank. So this weekend on the way to the meeting I picked up a 29 gallon with stand and canopy. I am planning on setting it up in the living room so it need to be as close to silent as possible. I am also trying to do this on the cheap if possible which i know is a rare thing but i am going to try.

Question is how do you think I should go about setting it up? Do I need a protein skimmer for something like 2-3 fish in a 29 gallon? If not I was thinking about just getting a canister filter. I had considered drilling the tank but that really brings up the cost. Any ideas or tips are appreciated.

Oversized HOB filter with chemi pure and water changes. KISS method. As long as u keep it to 3 small fish. And I have a PC light u can have for free if u need it.

I would do a reef octopus hang on back skimmer with a whisper 3 hang on filter for carbon and surface agitation. top off by hand.

This would be a quiet set up. you could add a ecotech Mp10 with battery backup if you lose power it will keep the water moving and save your creatures.

Edited by davjbeas

WIll a puffer be happy in that.  I dont know why but when I read this the first time I thought you said you were putting a Vlamingii Tang in a 29g

Edited by Keraxis

Oversized HOB filter with chemi pure and water changes. KISS method. As long as u keep it to 3 small fish. And I have a PC light u can have for free if u need it.

Thanks for the offer Eric but you are pretty far from me.

Minimum tank size per liveaquaria.com  is 30 gallons

Yea 29 is pretty close, I have a friend who has kept one for sometime now in the same size tank. I think it will be fine as long as it is just the puffer and maybe 1 or 2 more small fish

The thing about HOB filters, especially an oversized ones, is that they tend to produce noise,. It's whether from the the motor/impeller vibration or the fall of the output water, Maybe it's just my luck, but all of my Aquaclear filters (20, 70 and 110) are noisy.

In term of quietness, I much prefer a canister filter. 

I have 2 Fish only tanks with AquaC Remora HOB on both ( 16G and 55G ).

Both are silent.  The noise is dependent on the pump attached to the Remora.  I found that the "original" MaxiJet pump to be almost totally silent.  These are now sold under the Cobalt brand.  The "new" or current Maxi Jet are noisy, sold under MarineLand brand. Don't know why since they both look identical.  I found that out the expansive way a few years back.

I suppose you plan on putting a lid on it this go around?

Of course, i still feel terrible about the first one. The one night i forget to close the canopy he jumped...ugh

I have 2 Fish only tanks with AquaC Remora HOB on both ( 16G and 55G ).

Both are silent.  The noise is dependent on the pump attached to the Remora.  I found that the "original" MaxiJet pump to be almost totally silent.  These are now sold under the Cobalt brand.  The "new" or current Maxi Jet are noisy, sold under MarineLand brand. Don't know why since they both look identical.  I found that out the expansive way a few years back.

Question about your Remora skimmers. How high does the top of the cup sit off of the rim of the tank> I just need to make sure it will fit in the canopy

Remora Hang-On Skimmer
19" tall x 6" wide x 2-3/4" deep
Minimum tank opening 5-1/4" x 1-1/2"
Minimum tank height 12-1/2"
Minimum space behind tank 2-3/4"
Maximum tank lip 1-3/8" wide
Vertical clearance above tank 10-1/2"

Thats from their webpage... 10.5 inches seems like alot though. I have one on my 40b and will have to check it out when I get home.  It does work decently well but I have to give it a bath every 6 months or so.

Edited by Keraxis

Remora Hang-On Skimmer

19" tall x 6" wide x 2-3/4" deep

Minimum tank opening 5-1/4" x 1-1/2"

Minimum tank height 12-1/2"

Minimum space behind tank 2-3/4"

Maximum tank lip 1-3/8" wide

Vertical clearance above tank 10-1/2"

Thats from their webpage... 10.5 inches seems like alot though. I have one on my 40b and will have to check it out when I get home.  It does work decently well but I have to give it a bath every 6 months or so.

The vertical clearance requirement may be to remove the skimmer cup. As I recall, the Remora's cup sits largely in the body of the skimmer and uses an o-ring to set the height of the cup. So add the cup height to the height of the body over the tank lip and you probably get close to the clearance requirement. (I have a Remora Pro that I have in storage, so this is from memory of that skimmer.)

Question about your Remora skimmers. How high does the top of the cup sit off of the rim of the tank> I just need to make sure it will fit in the canopy

The egg create is to prevent the $$$ designer clowns from becoming  ccc   :cool:

AquaCRemora

I am worried about the height of an external skimmer, I may be back to leaning towards just drilling the tank if i am going to need a skimmer.

If you have only 3 small fish and you do your water changes you probably won't need a skimmer as long as you don't overfeed and have a good maintenance schedule