Best way to clean my sump??

eddiev0008

Anyone have the best way to clean out a sump? I have been running my tank over a year and looks a bit dirty wanted to clean my sump out . Any suggestions? Someone said to use a shop vac if that's the case anyone have one I can borrow for a day? Let me know any ideas will help me out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use a MJ1200 with a hose attached to the suction part of the pump and pump the dirty stuff into a 5 gallon bucket during water changes

How big is your sump and how much equipment do you have in it? For my setup I only have about 8 pieces of equipment, so about once every 6 months I disconnect everything, take everything including the sump out, hose and soak everything in vinegar for an hour. Then I give it all a good scrub and put it back in. The process takes about 2-3 hours but it is definitely clean.

I bought a "bucket head" shop vac at home depot.. it clips onto a 5 gallon bucket.. works great..

I also got a set of detailing tools that attach and make the suction smaller with more reach and gives me more time to get all the corners etc... it's a great tool if you like to keep sump clean... I use mine every month or so

I don't think it was more than 40 bucks or so.. maybe less

Edited by GOSKN5

I bought a "bucket head" shop vac at home depot.. it clips onto a 5 gallon bucket.. works great..

I also got a set of detailing tools that attach and make the suction smaller with more reach and gives me more time to get all the corners etc... it's a great tool if you like to keep sump clean... I use mine every month or so

I don't think it was more than 40 bucks or so.. maybe less

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Thanks guys I only have about 6 pieces but the way my tank was designed in unable to remove the sump without taking a center brace off and I'm scared due to the weight of the tank :) I think I'll take everything out and clean it from the where it is thanks for all the helpful details think I'll go get the bucket head saw it online

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the bucket head shop vac is only $20 plus a $5 bucket if don't have one but let's be honest who in this hobby doesn't have a 5g bucket. I have same one and use it ever 4-6 months or when really dirty.

What's the maintenance like on the bucket head?

How fast does it draw water out - how quick does it fill the 5g bucket?

I used a bucket head for draining other kind of tanks and it fills the 5 gallons in like 30 seconds. It's a real shop vac that just happens to sit on a 5 gallon bucket. Cheap enough that you can buy one for reef only and not worry about getting contaminants from other cleanups in your system.

I used a bucket head for draining other kind of tanks and it fills the 5 gallons in like 30 seconds. It's a real shop vac that just happens to sit on a 5 gallon bucket. Cheap enough that you can buy one for reef only and not worry about getting contaminants from other cleanups in your system.

If you get the micro attachments it gives me plenty of time to do what I need before filling the bucket... really slows the suction rate but plenty strong to take out detrius