Bubble algae, I'm losing the war

yauger

Don't know what else to do short of break it down and dry it all out after a bleach bath. I'm losing my mind over the bubble algae in my 40 nuvo. Things I've tried thus far:

Manual removal

One spot fox face

A squadron of emerald crabs

Stop feeding to once a week (which caused other problems)

Lights out for days at a stretch

Nothing seems to work. Any ideas before I give up?

Also is there a chemical dip I can use to dip the corals to kill bubble algae? That way I can transfer everything into a temporary tank.

I was losing that war for a long time.  I read on line that Turbo snails help.  I added 4 snails and 4 Emerald crabs and I now have no trace of bubble algae in my tank.  I was at my wits end.  It was killing my corals etc.

Before that I had tried a Rabbit fish, and various tangs wit no luck.

Might be worth a try before you break down the tank only to rebuild and have it again.

Good Luck,

Bruce

Don't know what else to do short of break it down and dry it all out after a bleach bath. I'm losing my mind over the bubble algae in my 40 nuvo. Things I've tried thus far:
Manual removal
One spot fox face
A squadron of emerald crabs
Stop feeding to once a week (which caused other problems)
Lights out for days at a stretch

Nothing seems to work. Any ideas before I give up?

You might also try starving it out with Macro Algae and ferric oxide?

Bruce

Thanks Bruce I'm going to pickup some turbos tomorrow!!

I had a bit a couple years ago and was able to take my frags out and use a needle to pluck the bubbles off. Most didn't break, some did. Being out of the tank I used a couple different rinse containers before i put the frags back in the tank. For the bubbles that are in the tank every water change use a small drain hose and run it into a bucket. Take a needle and a as your plucking the bubbles off your rocks suck them out of the tank. Its a tedious way but over the course of several water changes you'll get ahead of it, depending on how much you have. 

Yeah I've done that before with limited success. That's why I'm at my wits end. I've been dealing with bubble algae off and on for the past 16 months. Insanely difficult to get rid of completely

Similar to Bruce, I've been able to combat my bubble algae with turbos and emeralds, with great success.

Or just have your brother take the bonsai rock out, put it in a Rubbermaid, pick all the bubble algae off and out in back in. Time consuming and a pain but you only have one rock in there.

I have the best tool for bubble algae removal, chopsticks!!!!

If you have filter socks or other easily removed media in your system, I would use a chopstick. I use them to remove bubble algae without breaking them, it is very easy to do and you can get to bubble algae embedded in rocks, corals etc. The filter media will do the work for you, just remove it when you think it is full. If you keep doing this for a couple of weeks, you will notice a great reduction in the bubble algae. BTW, PF Chang's chopsticks work the best, they are a very hard plastic.

I've been pretty successful in the war. Water changes with manual removal of bubbles. Army of emerald crabs. Mostly the manual removal, like everynight staying on top of getting out every piece you can. I'm two weeks in the war and only see a little here and there - but I will keep the fight up. I'm feeling confident now. I was about to break the tank down and sell about a month ago.

I have the best tool for bubble algae removal, chopsticks!!!!

If you have filter socks or other easily removed media in your system, I would use a chopstick. I use them to remove bubble algae without breaking them, it is very easy to do and you can get to bubble algae embedded in rocks, corals etc. The filter media will do the work for you, just remove it when you think it is full. If you keep doing this for a couple of weeks, you will notice a great reduction in the bubble algae. BTW, PF Chang's chopsticks work the best, they are a very hard plastic.

Yeah being Korean I have plenty of chopsticks in the house. But I have a blunt dental tool that works the best. I've been toying with trying to attach the tool to the end of my water change hose so I can suck out anything I pop off.

I've been pretty successful in the war. Water changes with manual removal of bubbles. Army of emerald crabs. Mostly the manual removal, like everynight staying on top of getting out every piece you can. I'm two weeks in the war and only see a little here and there - but I will keep the fight up. I'm feeling confident now. I was about to break the tank down and sell about a month ago.

I'm right there with ya. I don't want to give up but holy cow it's frustrating

http://wamas.org/forums/topic/72843-bubble-algae-eater/ This wouldn't do any good but I'll post it to stay on topic.

Btw the strawberry shortcake frag is growing already. Such a dope stick. Thank you again!

Mine put on some crazzzzy colors then turned pink. Can't get the good colors back any ideas guys PM me

Eric I'll probably get some turbos and the two bar rabbit. Can it coexist with the one spot?

With the size of your tank, I wouldn't put them both in there. I would swap one for the other.

Desjardini sailfin has been my go to for a while. Gets too big for your tank longterm but if you have a tank to place one its an option. My last one taught my other tangs to eat bubble algae

Just won a battle over bubble algae. Used emerald crab ALSO where I could not pull it out without breaking the bubbles (which spreads it) I would take the entire rock out, break off the bubble algae then rinse that part of the rock with tap water. It seemed to help. 

i contacted Johnny at BRK to order me a 2 bared rabbitfish. hoping that works! going to be listing the one spot fox face for sale shortly.