School me on T5 please..

GOSKN5

I have never had anything but LEDS... mixed reefs and been pretty successful with them...

I just took this tank down and was running hydras... had a fee sps but mostly softies and LPS..

7f0fd858a15ce3c9c7334f7610edeeda.jpg

I am considering trying T5 simply for colors on the SPS... I would like to have some tall rock structures dominated at the top by acros etc.. I had no problem growing them with the hydras.. but the colors all seemed to fade..

Tank is going to be a 150xh 48x24x30.. so deep tank but will only have SPS in the upper half or so...

I am CLUELESS about T5 requirements, fixtures etc... how many bulbs do I need etc..

Any good fixture recommendations? Tank had a center brace, also I will have a canopy on it....

Help me out, thanks!

Some would say 6 bulb, some would say 8, some would say as many as you could possibly fit. If I were you, I would leave a little space front to back to add reefbrite strips to complement the t5 bulbs. ATI is a well known and trusted fixture if you want to hang one, and reefbrite strips are made with brackets to hang from the screws already designed into the ATI fixture's exterior. You could also find some cool german stff from time to time...or go DIY rigging.

ATI bulbs are the most used whatever fixture you used. Ask folks running the same fixture as you select what they like for bulb selections so you can get a feel for color rendering. On a four-bulb I have reefbrite tech led strip, P+, B+, C+, B+ and have always liked it. I like it best when there is one reefbrite tech and the C+,B+ back bulbs on.

You will need an 8 bulb fixture for that tank. The ATI Sunpower would work perfect and is what I would use personally. I run my bulbs to mimic a 15k-20k spectrum, so for an 8-bulb, I would go with this:

"+" bulbs are ATI brand

(Front)

Blue+

Purple+

Blue+

6500k (Giesemann or GE)

Blue+

Coral+

Blue+

Blue+

(Back)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by HgrReefs

Since your tank is going to be 30" deep I would go with an 8 bulb fixture. But if your going to run a canopy, you could always retro fit the bulbs into the top of the canopy and save a few bucks to put towards a reefbrite or two. Go with very good reflectors too.

Have you considered going led + t5 supplements? That's the route I'm taking but only up for about 2 months so far. Others have had success going this route so I wanted to try it.

I tried that, and I prefer the T5 with LED sup, like a ReefBright. Saw my best growth and colors with ATI/RB combo.

14175a2a164d02938c5b0ece15865150_zpsngkt

So could I get by with a 6 bulb and RB strips? I'm not planning any SPS except at the tops of the rock work... it will also be minimal rock work as well.. likely two columns with sps from 15" up to water line

The biggest concern is the 24" depth vs 30" in height. T5 doesn't penetrate as well as LED/MH that is why we suggest going with 8 bulbs. So you have even coverage over the tank. The LED is just for the pop.

The biggest concern is the 24" depth vs 30" in height. T5 doesn't penetrate as well as LED/MH that is why we suggest going with 8 bulbs. So you have even coverage over the tank. The LED is just for the pop.

+1

I agree with 8 bulb. And i think youll love t5s. If anyone is nearby id say check out their tank and bulb combo to get an idea what you like. I honestly love my dimmable sunpower. Favorite fixture by far.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

I'm a diy kind of person.  If you are too you can get Sylvania, electronic start, T5HO, ballasts for four 48inch bulbs pretty cheap online, then reflectors and endcaps are needed and you're in business once you hang them.

You will need an 8 bulb fixture for that tank. The ATI Sunpower would work perfect and is what I would use personally. I run my bulbs to mimic a 15k-20k spectrum, so for an 8-bulb, I would go with this:

"+" bulbs are ATI brand

(Front)

Blue+

Purple+

Blue+

6500k (Giesemann or GE)

Blue+

Coral+

Blue+

Blue+

(Back)

+1   I would do 2x Reefbrite XHO's in combination with this

Ati also advises against mounting their fixtures in a canopy. I think due to heat and moisture

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Correct.

I ran 10 T5 bulbs over my old tank that was 48 long x 30 wide x 20 tall. Grew a lot of beautiful sps in that tank. You should be fine with 8 bulbs. Get a quality light.