Moving Questions & Advice

TrueTricia

Hi all

So I found out I got a job in Norfolk at the Navy base, and it looks like I'll be moving soon.  I'm still waiting on HR to provide me a timeline, so it could be anywhere from the next 4 weeks to 8 weeks. 

I've been looking at Norfolk apartments online, and most of them seem to be older, and I may not be able to get a bottom floor.  I haven't found any with concrete in between floors like mine here in DC.  Do I need to be concerned with moving a 120g tank (40g sump) into an apartment building?  I'm sure the answer is yes.  What sort of things do I need to look for?  Load-bearing walls?  Suggestions?

Once I know more about where I'm going, whether taking the whole tank is feasible, etc., I'll certainly be asking for any tubs I can borrow.  I'll probably be back up in DC once a month or so, and I'll certainly still come to meetings.

Good news...you guys can come down and visit me at the Beach! 

Best to put the tank perpendicular to joists if upper level. Hardwoods should be installed perpendicular to joists too if you see them and need a visual cue.

May be easier to start over and sell livestock to avoid loss. But you could also have better luck than me with better planning. Look into Reef Chief down that way. Also, HRRC isn't as active as WAMAS but you should be able to make some connections... they are having their big sponsored meeting down there next month I believe.

Look into Ghent if you like Norfolk... at least that's what a friend used to tell me. Cheers

Congrats!  I have to also say sell and start over.  It may add more pressure in finding an apartment that will even allow a tank that size.  Even if you did, you may find the only wall that could fit the tank may not be the best option for you.  New job, new location, get adjusted first.  Then new tank.  

Tricia

Trying to move everything 4+ hours is going to be real stressful on the corals/fish.

If it were me, I would sell everything and start new once you get there. If there are a few corals you really really love, make a frag and have someone hold onto it for you.

Unless it's really really rare, you can always buy it again.

Nothing worse than trying to move everything, have something unexpected happen and lose the entire tank.

Part it all out. It'a better to make $ instead of going through all the hassle and possibly end up losing stuff or having problems after the move.

I have to agree with dismantling - as much as I know you must hate hearing it. I would never trust 180 gallons on anything but concrete unless it was significantly reinforced. Plus that is a giant liability for a landlord. Maybe you could find a rental house and make it work?

I think having someone hold your fish and corals is feasible, but you would likely be looking at cycling a tank again.

+1 on selling everything and restarting. No/little stress for you and the fish/corals. I did the same.

Added benefit...you will have a chance to do things that you wished you did on your current tank. I had so many of those ideas and lessons learned from my first tank. Good luck with the move.

another for sell it all and restart. if you really want to hold on to the clown mama have someone hold on to her for you in isolation until you're ready. the change and new setup will be reinvigorating.

OK....so looks like I'm selling the tank I just set up a year ago.  Sigh, tear.  I'll start a sale thread..... I am taking the 40g tank with me, so a few things will be able to go in there, but it isn't really a reef tank.

Anyone volunteering to hold a few things? 

So any suggestions on a good tank size for an apartment?  60g? 

Let's say that I get someone to hold everything for me until I get down there and get something set up, and let's assume a 60g tank with a 20g sump.  I don't think I could keep my sailfin tang and my foxface.  They're both about 4-5inches long, and I'm thinking a 60g won't cut it for them.  Thoughts? 

Get rid of the fish as well. You can always put the corals back in SWAP.

My vote goes for a nano.

Fish are easy to replace. I am liking the Red Sea reefer series and the IM SR80.

IF it were me, I would sell it all, keep the money in a PayPal account that you keep seperate so u know what your working with when u get ready to set up the new tank.

Keep the gear that's helpful and that you're truly likely to re-use SOON. If you hold it and don't use it, it'll lose value...if you're going to use it, you won't get what it's worth to you. Keep your rock, it's easy enough and you can cherry pick what you use in a smaller tank later if you go smaller. Part the livestock out or find someone to hold it. If you find a small tank you can dump some of your live rock in it and get a very short cycle...you may even get to keep and transport some sentimental corals that way.

When I lived in Virginia Beach we rented apartments that looked like town homes. Two levels with the bedrooms upstairs, and plenty of room in the living room for a fish tank. 

I vote for selling your livestock and taking the tanks, set them back up when you get all settled in

So I'm probably not moving until January now, so plenty of time to try to find a townhouse where I can keep my 120.  I'll still probably sell a lot of the livestock, and give the rest to friends to hold. 

So any suggestions on a good tank size for an apartment?  60g? 

Whatever fits/looks right with the room. My biggest pet peeve is all these oversized tanks I see, but I won't go into that :)

Edited by brad908