Blue Hippo Tang Sting Followed by ER visit

Rayr18

I was transferring my fish into a quarantine tank yesterday evening. While I was doing this I got stung (cut) by my blue tang's barb. When it first happened I just thought it was just a small puncture, but I soon realized that it was much more. So when the punctured happen it was painful, but it wasn't that bad. It was similar to a bee sting.. within about 10-15 min the pain started to get worse. Within a few hours the pain became unbearable. I caved in and went to the ER about 9:30 last night. I watched the swelling move from the puncture wound all the way down in to my hand over three hours after the incident. The doctor at the ER treated the wound as you would other toxins. They applied heat to denature the venom (toxin) and then gave me benadryl for the inflamation and hydrocodone for the pain.  The 1st hydrocodone pill really didn't even touch the pain. The second one I took 30 min later took the edge off the pain.The also gave me a prescription for Ciprofloxacin to prevent any infections. They also did an xray to make sure no barb will still inside my thumb.  As of now, a day later, the stinging  has gone away but there is a burning sensation in my thuimb. Overall, feeling much better than last night.

I think it is important to share this experience so if this happens to others they may know how to deal with it. 

Wow. I've always wondered if any of our members have been hit by a tang before. I didn't know there were toxins?

Thanks for sharing the experience, glad you went and got checked out!

That's shocking!  In 20 years, I've never heard of such a thing.  Glad you're better though.

You should post a pic of that guy - it's now infamous!

Perhaps it wasn't the barb itself that had toxins, but the barb cut open a wound that allowed other toxins to get in. Just throwing out another possibility.

Thanks for the reponses...I have read many threads in the last 24 h about hippo tangs and venom or toxins...Also read that their skin has toxins. The fish didn't sting me in the water...she jumped out of a bucket when moving to a quarantine tank. I was wearing latex gloves and got stung when I was trying to get her back into the bucket. So there was no other toxins around at that time that could of caused such a strong immune response. The ER doc believed it was definitely caused by toxin as I had reddish streaks running from my thumb into my hand.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Fascinating.  I had no idea such a thing was possible.  Sorry for the pain you're going through--but thank you so much for sharing!  I wonder if the stress of being moed about caused the fish to excrete more *something* than normal that subsequently packed a greater punch at and into the cut site.  Just guessing at this point, would love to learn more.  Post anything to Bob Fenner?

I hope you are feelings better. I didn't know the barbs were poisonous. Thanks for sharing, I will be more careful when I have my hands inside the tank

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apparently you're not the only one who's experienced this in this way. See this thread on RC from a while back. Your story is a good reminder to share experiences like yours.

From Wikipedia regarding Paracanthurus (which includes Hippo Tangs), "Handling the tang risks the chances of being badly cut by the caudal spine. These spines, on both sides of the caudal peduncle, are extended from the body when the fish becomes excited. The quick, thrashing sideways motion of the tail can produce deep wounds that result in swelling and discoloration, posing a risk of infection. It is believed that some species of Acanthurus have venom glands while others do not. The spines are used only as a method of protection against aggressors.[citation needed] Two sharp spines stick out at the caudal peduncle - the area where the tail joins the rest of the body."

(edited)

what about the possibility of Ciguarotoxin? "reefrash"- common from cuts on rocks and pokes by fish

I doubt it....Symptoms don't really match up...also all stings from this fish are identical in multiple stories I read:

Swelling and extreme pain for 6-8 hrs 

As you can see from this figure from a 2006 paper; Paracanthurus Hepatus, or blue hippo tang, has an anterolateral glandular groove in a venomous dorsal or anal fin.  

Table 1. Spiny-rayed fishes examined in this study for the presence or absence of a venom apparatus with a conspicuous venom gland. The abbreviation ‘‘ag’’ refers to an anterolateral glandular groove in a venomous dorsal- or anal-fin spine (see Figures 1 and 3) Taxon Venom apparatus condition Museum vouchera Acanthuridae—

surgeonfishes:

Acanthurus pyroferus ag without conspicuous venom glandb AMNH 51847

Paracanthurus hepatus ag with venom gland AMNH 50752

Prionurus scalprum ag with venom gland AMNH 26891

Zebrasoma flavescens ag without conspicuous venom glandb AMNH 50762

Here is the paper title and authors...if you are interested in getting more info on the topic:

Venom Evolution Widespread in Fishes: A Phylogenetic Road Map for the Bioprospecting of Piscine Venoms

WILLIAM LEO SMITH AND WARD C. WHEELER

Edited by Rayr18