RBTA Question

VKernus

Ok, so I had a nice RBTA in my tank. It had settled down and suddenly it started walking about and would settle into one place or another for about a week. Then, it disappeared. Was gone for two weeks. Figured it was hiding out in a rock. Yesterday,I found a much smaller version of the RBTA in my sump. I pulled it out and resettled it in the tank. Today, I found many, what appear to be, even smaller RBTAs in between the sump baffles. I have a cover on my MP 40. Anyone have any ideas what happened? Did it go through the pump? How can I get all of the little ones out of my sump, and should I?

Victor

Are you trying to explain that you think that your RBTA got caught in a pump and was shredded and now you have pieces of it caught in your sump and overflow weir teeth? If that is the case, I would recommend that you remove every piece of it. 

A pic sure would be a lot of help in trying to picture what you are trying to explain.

That is what I think may have happened. But I have a cover on the pump. The pieces, for lack of a better word, have attached themselves to the walls of my sump.

For those asking for a photo, please see attached.  Any thoughts on how I can remove or whether I need to get all the little pieces (and bigger pieces) out of my sump?

post-2635409-0-79554500-1437747452_thumb.jpg

It almost looks like it just split a bunch. I cant see any real damage to them.

Can you put a little light down there and just let them grow for awhile in your sump? Should be rather easy to get them out while they're on the glass though. Just pry them off gently with a fingernail.

Wow cool yea I would release all of them in display. Grow out your fingernail a little and start pry peeling. The RBTAs being traded/sold on this website are very hardy

I remember having something very similar happen but on a smaller scale in one of my auxiliary tanks (that had several BTAs in it) a while back. It wasn't a traditional"split" that yielded nearly equal sized BTAs, but something more like what you're seeing. Anyway, one day I noticed that I had a small, dime-sized blob of tissue hanging on the glass bottom not too far from several other full-sized BTA's (the first photo below). Most of the blob looked like a BTA "foot." I hadn't noticed it earlier, but that could have just been me not noticing. It had hints of an oral disk and bubble-like tentacles, so I decided it just wait and see what came of it. Watching it over several weeks, a more prominent oral disk formed and then tentacles: A baby BTA (see second photo below). In my situation, nothing went through a pump or other mechanical damage. Your situation looks analogous inasmuch as you have several of these little "babies" around.

gallery_2631296_685_1546.jpg

gallery_2631296_685_42931.jpg

Thanks Tom. It does look like some are growing, but others are not. Will have to find a scraper as my hand does not fit between the baffles. Not sure it would be a good idea to have these all get loose in the display.1 or 2 RBTA's in 90 is more than enough. :)