Seth's 150g DD SPS Dominated Reef

Nice crab! Do you do anything about the algae around your zoanthids? I have been dipping in hydrogen peroxide with success, interested to see how other people handle it. 

I do by hand removal with reasonable success. I have been wanting to try the hydrogen peroxide but the algae is always on the expensive zoas and not the cheap zoas that I would be willing to experiment on.  What ratio of Saltwater to Hydrogen peroxide do you use?

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do by hand removal with reasonable success. I have been wanting to try the hydrogen peroxide but the algae is always on the expensive zoas and not the cheap zoas that I would be willing to experiment on. What ratio of Saltwater to Hydrogen peroxide do you use?

I feel you. I started with cheap ones, and then did all of them. I'd rather not have it turn into a problem in a small area in my case.

Honestly, my ratio is cavalier. I take about 15-20 oz of saltwater from the tank, and around 3 capfuls of HP. My last dip was with 1/3 of the bottle, about 5 oz of hp same amount of water. I usually try to agitate the polyps enough that they close up, and swirl the plug before I let it sit, again roughly 3-5 minutes, depending on what else I'm doing. I'll scrub with a toothbrush, mostly the plug, but I'll sometimes lightly brush the zoas themselves. I usually follow up with a revive dip, saltwater rinse, back in the tank.

I've done it on: utter chaos, mandarin oranges, CARS, CAOS, Rastas, vivid rainbows, strawberry wines, and red hornets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I feel you. I started with cheap ones, and then did all of them. I'd rather not have it turn into a problem in a small area in my case.

Honestly, my ratio is cavalier. I take about 15-20 oz of saltwater from the tank, and around 3 capfuls of HP. My last dip was with 1/3 of the bottle, about 5 oz of hp same amount of water. I usually try to agitate the polyps enough that they close up, and swirl the plug before I let it sit, again roughly 3-5 minutes, depending on what else I'm doing. I'll scrub with a toothbrush, mostly the plug, but I'll sometimes lightly brush the zoas themselves. I usually follow up with a revive dip, saltwater rinse, back in the tank.

I've done it on: utter chaos, mandarin oranges, CARS, CAOS, Rastas, vivid rainbows, strawberry wines, and red hornets.

Hmm good to know. I will give it a shot on my lunars and see how it goes.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

I just dipped 4 of mine in hp too. Twizzlers, hornets and 2 others. I went heavy with the hp. They were closed for a day but looking good now and no algae.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

I think my algae problem may be because my rocks are leaching phosphate from an old tank.  So I am working on remedying that.  I knew I should have soaked this rock in lanthanum chloride.  Oh well, running some phosphate and silicate absorber in my new Avast MR5.  Gotta give a shout out to the guys at Avast for this reactor. Its the smallest reactor they have it its pretty big for only $59.

So all you GFO guys out there, what flow rate do you run through your reactor?  I have my media packed so none of it moves and I am pushing ~900 GPH through it.  Thoughts on this?   I personally have never needed to run a GFO like substance before so any input would be awesome.

I dip z/p's, and acans in hydrogen peroxide with great success. Algae all gone and usually by the next day they are open and looking happier then before. I also don't really have a measurement. I take some tank water in a container that I made a small frag rack for. Add Frags and squirt some hp in. Once I see some fizzing/bubbles coming up I pause for moment. Ponder. Then squirt a little more and leave them in for 5 mins.

I once thought I overdid it with some bloodshots, blue hornets, Rastas and bowsers. It was a very high dose (slip of the hand) and I walked away for longer then I thought. They had closed up and started too look like they were boiling. They had some sort of clear blisters on them. Surely they were toast. I was kicking myself. I put them back in the tank and the next day they were open! After a few weeks like nothing ever happened. What im trying to get to is that I think it is hard to OD them with hp. I just wish I could find something that would work with SPS.

Well I think I will pick up some HP and give it a shot tonight

On a side note just ordered these zoas in:

Speckled Krakatoa
LC Crystallines
LC Phantasms
LC Atomic Sunset
Pink Rainbows
Flaming Lotus Eaters
LC Royal Cherry
Moonshines

Nice list. You're going to have quite the collection going on. I just dipped again with HP yesterday. I don't think I'm doing it strong enough, as it keeps coming back. However, the constant dipping doesn't seem to be doing anything but making them stronger. At least in my case.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

Well so its been a while since an update.

As for fish, the chevron got killed by my tinkers butterfly, the tinkers decided to stop eating and starved to death. but other than that, the flame wrasse, leopard wrasse, female exquisite wrasse, diamond gobey, and the atl. blue tang are doing awesome!.

Lost some coral gained some coral. Been debating downgrading to a 120g.

Pics:

FTS:
IMG_20160323_223744_143_zps9zq8ztxf.jpg

IMG_20160323_223705_622_zpsgqtmfd3l.jpg

IMG_20160323_223612_790_zpsxgvsrady.jpg

IMG_20160323_223604_785_zpsu3zdqm9k.jpg

IMG_20160323_223627_065_zpsjysma0jb.jpg

IMG_20160323_223641_602_zpsoeeleiuk.jpg

IMG_20160323_223549_729_zpsplhdvllz.jpg

cool coral additions- thanks for the share.

sucks about the fish deaths. did you mean your burgessi when you said tinkers? i saw a photo of an c.burgessi in previous posts i believe. did you use an acclimation box for a while upon introduction of the juv chevron? burgessi has always been a peaceful addition in the systems I've added them to. just goes to show how one specimen can be unique from others.

cool coral additions- thanks for the share.

sucks about the fish deaths. did you mean your burgessi when you said tinkers? i saw a photo of an c.burgessi in previous posts i believe. did you use an acclimation box for a while upon introduction of the juv chevron? burgessi has always been a peaceful addition in the systems I've added them to. just goes to show how one specimen can be unique from others.

Yah totally spaced. Yah it was a Burgess. I have been needing to get an acclimation box but the only one I can find is $100 for a small one so maybe I need to make my own. Well for now I have stopped adding fish untill I can get the algae and aptasia under control in the display. I really need to step back and think more about how tank inhabitants will react with each other.

Also my focus has shifted to a 70g starphire I picked up. And planning out a leopard wrasse transition tank for a place for the leopards to get used to eating frozen food or pellets. Once the 70g is up and running and I can transfer my zoas to it. I am going to swap the 20g long frag tank to the leopard wrasse transition tank once the frags are in the 70. Going to do it planted to promote heavy pod populations in the 20.

On a side note, I am getting about 2.5 gallons of chaeto growth a week if anyone needs any.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Get yourself a seahare. That will take care of a majority of it. Then start working on the water issues causing it.

I personally think a seahare is a little extreme. And I don't want to be responsible for re homing it after 95% of its food source is gone. I will probably pick of some conchs and a tuxedo urchin when I can find them not overpriced.

Its not a water issue unfortunately, Its a rock issue.  The rock that is ridden with algae is from my old seahorse tank. so I need to leach out the residual phosphates in the rocks.  It has slowly been going away ever since my chaeto hit its terminal mass.

RO/DI water made in either 10g batches for my ATO or 35 gallon batches for my water changes.  tested tds of my ATO reservoir and it has a tds of 1.  As for fresh salt mix, I am using Aqua Forest salt.  Tested Ammonia, Nitrate, Nitrite, and phosphate with salifert test kits and phosphate with a Hanna checker and salifert.  All salifert test kits said 0 cross the board and the Hanna checker showed 0.01 ppm for phosphate. 

In tank phosphate of 0.05 ppm, nitrate ~2.5ppm

Just an update on trying the HP dip, I did 4 cups of water to 4 cupfuls of HP and it did get rid of the algae on the frag but I still have not seen my lunar eclipses open up. Its been 2 weeks now. So I think I am not going to try that again.