Richie's 240Gallon Man Cave build :)

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stacked.. No glue.. They fit like a puzzle.

Good luck with that.........really good luck :blink:

Once you start doing maintenance you WILL eventually bump some of that rock and it may fall over. Especially when you have corals all over them that change the weight load from where it is now.  IMO

Once you start doing maintenance you WILL eventually bump some of that rock and it may fall over. Especially when you have corals all over them that change the weight load from where it is now.  IMO

Yeah... We talked a bit about that.. AND I cant wait to have corals growing on the rocks.  Im going to roll with the way it is for now. Thanks for the heads up though.  

Hopefully I stacked it good enough to withstand a bump or two. 

MAN Can this RODI go any slower? Ive already gone through a few cases of beer watching the drip..:) 

Yeah... We talked a bit about that.. AND I cant wait to have corals growing on the rocks.  Im going to roll with the way it is for now. Thanks for the heads up though.  

Hopefully I stacked it good enough to withstand a bump or two. 

MAN Can this RODI go any slower? Ive already gone through a few cases of beer watching the drip.. :)

What is it rated, and what pressure are you getting?

Looking good! 

1+ Those rocks will definitely fall once filled up in water. You will be surprise how easily a snail or fish can knock them over.

I don't use glue on my rocks but usually make sure the rocks are wedged between other rocks very tightly. But still on occasion some of my smaller rocks (4-6") with coral attached got pushed out and knock over by my fish.   

its the BRS 75GPD unit and I am getting about 70 on the meter...

zzzzzzzzzzzz :)

75GPD will takes about 4-5 days or more to filled your tank and sump.

You have a beautiful tank build and probably the best looking sump I've seen.  I'm also a fan of granite, but are you absolutely sure that your tank is perfectly level?  The reason I ask is because granite is unforgiving and if there is even 1/8" height differential between two corners of your granite it will crack when placed under a load of water.  Not to mention what may happen to the bottom of your tank.

So I know I'm saying this after it's already filled with water, but a little voice in my head says that, despite the loss of beauty, a sheet of styrofoam in between your tank and the granite top could save you from a disaster.

Then again, if you know your floor is perfect, as well as all the components, then it's an acceptable risk for the beauty of a granite top.  Is the bottom of your tank glass or acrylic?

Edited by dave w

You have a beautiful tank build and probably the best looking sump I've seen.  I'm also a fan of granite, but are you absolutely sure that your tank is perfectly level?  The reason I ask is because granite is unforgiving and if there is even 1/8" height differential between two corners of your granite it will crack when placed under a load of water.  Not to mention what may happen to the bottom of your tank.

So I know I'm saying this after it's already filled with water, but a little voice in my head says that, despite the loss of beauty, a sheet of styrofoam in between your tank and the granite top could save you from a disaster.

Then again, if you know your floor is perfect, as well as all the components, then it's an acceptable risk for the beauty of a granite top.  Is the bottom of your tank glass or acrylic?

Thank you for the compliments. The granite is actually cut around the tank. The recessed tank is sitting on foam, then a 3/4 inch board, then the supporters.... The tank is perfectly level and I definitely keep checking and now double checking with the heavier load. Believe me when I say I have lost a bit of sleep on this one... The bottom of the tank is glass.

Will post some more pics tomorrow, when I get home from flying...

Thanks, Richie

Tank is full and water flowing to the sump.... getting closer.

Turned on the two MP60s to get some water movement up top and put a case of salt in.

post-2634883-0-77811500-1429478331_thumb.jpg

post-2634883-0-28319000-1429478332_thumb.jpg

Update ---

Turned on the main pump this evening and after a brain fart or two, Eric talked me off the ledge. Thank you again.. Water is flowing through the sump, even with the holes that I had to drill out, and back into the main tank.. I've shut it down a couple of time to check out how much water goes back down and everything seems to check out. Thank you rob for the pvc assistance, not one leak knock on wood... Yet. Haha

I plugged up the apex and did the software update, got the probes and heater hooked up. Tomorrow I will work to get the salinity correct. Even got the text alert working for the heater part....

thanks to everyone for the words of encouragement and compliments...

Question for the group....

I calibrated the salinity probe. I think I did it correct from everything that I read and viewed online. I have 3 salinity measurements devices and getting two different readings. I have a hydrometer and that reads 1024... The refract one give the same.. and the probe that came with the apex reads 25.2 which is much lower.

Can the top tank have a different salinity level than the sump? I tested the water in the sump and in fact it's reading lower than the tank?

I turned the mp 60s to get more water movement...

I'm kinda thrown for a loop on this one...

Thoughts?

the reason its reading lower in the sump is that you put the salt into the main tank to mix.  its going to take a few days to work its way throughout the entire system.  I would give it a week or so before testing.  Some of the salt might be caught up in the rock work and sand.

Yes, You are right Eric...

I put the MP60s on 70%. Let it run over night, this morning the top tank and lower tank read the same.. The APEX is still running behind on its reading though but it is creeping up.

I will have to make slow adjustments from here on out.

See you soon.

Richie

Thanks for stopping by Eric. The salinity has stabilized at 1.025, apex is still behind but climbing. I moved the left side mp 60 controller out of the cabinet as suggested. I will move the right one tomorrow, I started watching hockey and you know what happened then.

Will find a piece of live rock this weekend and let the tank cook.... Will be a long summer of looking at nothing...;)

If you need some I have plenty. I am sure members near you have some as well.