Richie's 240Gallon Man Cave build :)

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay.. Took about 20 minutes to move the tank to the basement with the help of 8... 

BUT Im super excited. I have to admit that we got super lucky with the granite top. The tank fit like a glove. couldnt have planned it any more perfectly.

post-2634883-0-65733000-1427045284_thumb.jpg

post-2634883-0-03469600-1427045285_thumb.jpg

Thanks!!!! I cant even tell you how lucky we were with the granite and cutting it before the tank was even here...

Just need to pick up the sump from UPS Freight tomorrow.. so I can finish priming and painting the bar..

Then comes pvc work..:)

Richie

Thanks Eric! I put some chalking around the edges just in case someone spills.. :)

Im really starting to get excited, coming together after waiting months for the tank.

See you soon, Richie

WOW.. Two installs in Two Days... Picked up sump from UPS Freight today.

ITS HUGE.. Okay Maybe I shouldn't have gone soooo big but .. I still have some space..

post-2634883-0-88662700-1427147050_thumb.jpg

post-2634883-0-89980200-1427147051_thumb.jpg

post-2634883-0-31517500-1427147052_thumb.jpg

Looks very nice!  Looking forward to seeing this build progress =).  Just big enough it still fits.

Edited by Airidal

Looks just right to me. Pardon my not wanting to go back to find it, what skimmer are you running? You'll have enough room to get it in and out comfortably?

Funny you should ask.... We just got done putting it into the sump and realize the wall that the water flows over to the next chamber is a bit to high at 16inches.....

Its the Alpha 250... It doesn't come with a manual so I don't know how high it should sit .. hence the issue.. if I have to raise it up nine inches.. I will only have a 1/2 inch to remove the cup... A bit tight...

I think YMMV with all skimmers. Hopefully you will be alright. Nice sump for sure though!

Your Mileage May Vary.....Isaac is a young whipper snapper and lives by abbreviations. :laugh:

That isn't going to work. What I would suggest before you plumb it is to take that sump out, and cut down that baffle. That skimmer likes around 6-9" IIRC. You could take it to artfully acrylic and have him trim it down. I had them work on my sump

Thank you for the definition.. I just found the Vertex manual.. Said it needs to be in 9-10inches.. As much as I don't want to, now that I added some supports to the stand, I will use a step drill and lower the water level so that I only have to raise up the skimmer 3-4" ... It should also keep the level in the refugium at a height that will keep the water flowing.... 

hopefully pvc this weekend. 

Richie

(edited)

Ha.. we must have been typing at the same time Eric.. Yep.. Im going to lower the baffle so I only have to raise up the skimmer by only a few inches..

Edited by Scubaguy

WOW.. Two installs in Two Days... Picked up sump from UPS Freight today.

ITS HUGE.. Okay Maybe I shouldn't have gone soooo big but .. I still have some space..

You made the right choice...............can never go too big.

Hey Everyone... I wanted to give a bit more perspective on how big this sump is. I slid it out of the stand since I had to drill the baffles down. I will do a water test in the next day or so to make sure I still have the needed flow and height for the skimmer..

Richie

post-2634883-0-55816600-1427237417_thumb.jpg

(edited)

You know what they say about a man with big sump.....

" darn that's a big sump!!! "

:)

Edited by Scubaguy

Seems a shame to hide it under the stand.  Of course that's easy to say when it's all clean.

Edited by Airidal