Recommendations on Stands?

globug

My husband has given me the green light on a tank upgrade (woo hoo!), so I'm starting to pull together an initial budget.  I'm interested in getting a 100 gallon long (72x18x17).  Any recommendations on where to buy a tank stand, especially something more decorative? 

Also, any thoughts on using a well constructed solid wood piece of furniture (e.g., a buffet cabinet without legs)?  I'm concerned about regular furniture being able to support the weight.

Thanks!

What's your budget. That depends a lot on how decorative you plan on making the stand. Unless you have some good woodworking skills of your own.

And if your going with a 72" long I would suggest a 24" depth for the tank. Will make all the difference in the world.

What's your budget. That depends a lot on how decorative you plan on making the stand. Unless you have some good woodworking skills of your own.

And if your going with a 72" long I would suggest a 24" depth for the tank. Will make all the difference in the world.

+1

72" x 24" x 17" or 18" = about 135 gal.  A wider tank will give you more options on rockwork and swimming space.

I don't have a cap per se, whatever is reasonable.  I just need to give him a good estimate so that we can agree on the range.  Unfortunately, I don't have good woodworking skills, so I'm going to need to hire someone to build something custom or purchase from a retail store.

Thanks for the recommendations on width!

Yeah 24 or wider is so much easier to work on...

As far as stands, if you or your husband are not handy, there are a few members who do good work at a reasonable price...

Or contact someone who makes cabinetry.

Alot of the pre made stands are not tall enough to fit a good in sump skimmer and are usually mdf/particle board

Check out the DSA 105…it is 48x24x20, 105 gallons. Rimless and very nice. Comes either drilled w/ overflow or not depending on your preference. The stands from the factory are really nice, come lined with an acrylic basin underneath to catch the spills etc.

I think DCreefer64 actually was/is selling his? I would check with him.

Just my opinion but if you're going to jump up to 100+ gallon, there is no reason to go less than 72". Better for the floor, better for the inhabitants, and better for viewing. 72x24xXX and never look back. 

buy a tank/stand from a reputable company. stay away from re-branders. Marineland, Aqueon make good tanks./stands.

If you go full custom, Coast to Coast, Miracles, and AGE do good work.

My 125g 18" wide is such a great tank for me to learn on plus it is so skinny it didn't affect the room it was in much. Plus the 6' allows for a few species of the smaller tangs! Manufacturers sometimes offer furniture grade stands which is what I decided on. The 17" height is perfect for reachability. I however did decide to go wider after two years in the hobby. Will be selling in a month

I personally like purchasing from someone on the boards...gently used.  I think that recycling a tank and stand is cost effective and it leaves money to purchase other things you need for your new tank...like corals and cool fish!

(edited)

I have a marineland monterey and love it. It's a bit pricey, but is very functional, enough room for a sump, tall enough for a nice skimmer, and easy access (either no center brace or side panel access, depending on the width). They are on sale right now too.

Edited by cpu933k