Bulk Reef Supply study

roni

http://reefbuilders.com/2015/02/17/bulk-reef-supply-demonstrates-toxic-chloramine-water-filters/

***synopsis******

Traditional carbon filters demonstrate very early failure in terms of getting rid of chloramines, often failing at 150 gallons of use.  Their filter (BRS universal) reportedly doesn't)

Caveat: I know this isn't a double blind study and they have obvious financial ties to the product.  Also, without knowing if they put a sediment filter prior to the unit as well as the type of membrane they used, it's hard to know if other stages are taking out chloramines.  

I'm ordering a chloramine test kit to check but has anyone validated this on their own systems?

They use DOW 75gpd membranes in their RODI setups. The sediment filter is a GE RO Saver on their nicer models.

I've personally switched to this same filter setup, just with one BRS universal carbon stage instead of two.

--

Warren

They use DOW 75gpd membranes in their RODI setups. The sediment filter is a GE RO Saver on their nicer models.

I've personally switched to this same filter setup, just with one BRS universal carbon stage instead of two.

--

Warren

Warren,

Did you do any before and after testing after installing the new universal?  I'm always leery of claims made by companies with a vested interest but this seems like an easy thing to verify.  

Are you using the universal after sediment but before another carbon block?  I've got a 5 stage (sediment, 2 carbon, 2 di) on a 150 gpd unit (2 75 membranes) so thinking about replacing the first carbon block and then using the strips to monitor when to change the carbon blocks.

Warren,

Did you do any before and after testing after installing the new universal? I'm always leery of claims made by companies with a vested interest but this seems like an easy thing to verify.

Are you using the universal after sediment but before another carbon block? I've got a 5 stage (sediment, 2 carbon, 2 di) on a 150 gpd unit (2 75 membranes) so thinking about replacing the first carbon block and then using the strips to monitor when to change the carbon blocks.

I bought the best carbon block available from BRS weeks before they announced the new universal. Using the LaMotte test strips, I can see that I already have break through after not a whole lot of water. I bought the BRS universal after seeing this but I haven't swapped it yet since it is so cold outside. I usually do RODI filter swaps outside due to all the water.

My RODI is setup in order:

Small sediment filter

Shurflo gold pump

GE RO saver sediment filter

Soon: BRS universal

Dual DOW 75 gpd, for a total of 150

Refillable color changing BRS DI

--

Warren

• 1 year later...

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I was curious about this issues so I did a search, found this, and decided to look in Arlington.  Lo and behold......

https://water.arlingtonva.us/water/water-quality-treatment/ 

I think Arlington, DC, Falls Church, and parts of FFX co get their water from the same source, and I'd imagine all said jurisdictions use choloramine.