I'm Baaaack....

Black Mammoth

Many of you probably don't know me. I've been out for awhile and I wasn't extremely active when I was on here. However, I do see a lot of familiar screen names. For those don't know, I used to have an A.G.E. 325g (96x30x26) mixed reef tank. I have an incomplete build thread on here somewhere. Well about a year and a half ago, the back glass cracked. I was pretty devastated about it. Luckily I caught the crack fairly early...only lost about 75g or so. Sean over at Fins & Feathers has been nice enough to keep the surviving fish at his place. It took me this long to get back because I was devastated about the loss and we were about to have our first child.

Well right now I'm in the process of getting a new tank. I'm talking to builders & getting quotes. I'm also trying to finalize my design. Yeah, I'm changing up things from what I had before. With that said, you will probably see a bunch of stuff (a lot almost brand new) coming up for sale on here. Anyway, I'm getting pretty excited about coming back. I'll probably come back with the same dimensions. I might come back with a 36" width tank, but we will see when I get the quotes back. I already have a steel stand, but if I go 36" width, I'll have to get another stand.

Anyone looking at an A.G.E. tank, consider other builders first. My failure didn't turn me off of A.G.E., it was other things.

Anyway, I look forward to getting to know you guys again. Actually, I got a head start last year; I met a fellow WAMAS member (jefftse) though my car club. Hopefully I'll get to some of these meets and socials!

Edited by Black Mammoth

Thanks for the warm welcome :)

Welcome back man. Did AGE cover the tank?

No, but it was out of warranty. The tank failed about 6 months after the warranty ran out. A.G.E. asked for some pics and after they got the pics the commented that they had never seen a failure like that before. We then asked them for a quote to fix the tank and another quote for a new tank all together. They never got back to us on a quote. Many emails and phone calls were made, but we never got a response. I talked to another builder last night and he guessed right away where my failure was. It sounds like that there might be a design flaw. I also mentioned to him that my tank had an ever so slight bow to it and I also wondered if that contributed to the failure. I was told that the slight bow as in spec, but the builder last night said that a glass tank should never bow. I also noticed that A.G.E. reduced their warranty from 3 years to 1. I'm wondering if they are experiencing more failures and they reduced the warranty to compensate. I have no idea, but I don't know why you would reduce your warranty. I might try getting a hold of them again to see if things have changed in the past year. I'm not entirely surprised about not getting a response. While the tank was being made, communication was terrible.

The builder I talked to yesterday has good reviews and sounds good. However, I got my quote today and they were 2.5+ times higher than my A.G.E. tank! When I ordered my A.G.E. tank they were one of the more expensive builders.

My memory might be wrong, but didn't you also buy an A.G.E. tank from Sean after I bought mine? If it is, I think I remember your tank. You probably won't have the same issue I had.

My memory might be wrong, but didn't you also buy an A.G.E. tank from Sean after I bought mine? If it is, I think I remember your tank. You probably won't have the same issue I had.

I think Eric has a Miracles built.

I also bought a Miracles second hand, and I am happy with it's look.

(edited)

I think Eric has a Miracles built.

I also bought a Miracles second hand, and I am happy with it's look.

Ah...thanks, my memory was definitely wrong on that...it's been 5 years :) I did research and found it was DaveS and not Eric like you said :) Anyway, I'm glad to hear about Miracles. I hope to have a quote from Derek tomorrow. Hopefully it isn't $8k like my last quote!

Edited by Black Mammoth