Quiet pump for BRS GFO/Carbon Reactor

Crob5965

I just unboxed and hooked up my new BRS GFO/Carbon Reactor with a Maxijet 1200, which is what they recommend, but personally I still feel that it is too loud, I run a Jebao DC 9000 and 6000 for my skimmer and return and I cant hear a thing, but ever since I hooked this thing up earlier it has been bugging me.

does anyone have any recommendations for a nice silent(ish) pump I could use, not sure if I have room for another Jebao pump in my sump otherwise I would just buy another one of those.

Thanks

Build a manifold and run it off your return. You shouldn't have to tumble hard to get good results. My cs3 runs on x2 psk1000s and an mj12000, loudest thing on my tank.

Manifold might work, I am only running my return at 50% so I know it could handle it, I would do another Jebao pump, I'm not sure if I have enough room I have a DC 6000 and a 9000 and they are pretty much the same size so I assumed that the 3000 was also the same size.

I will look into the Sicce, I have read some good reviews on them but never used one myself.

Thanks for the advice guys

Just seems odd to run another pump if you can do the job with what ya got, especially if you are only running at half. Not a sermon, just a thought.

You probably have the "new" Maxi Jet that is made in china.

I found out while back that the Italian ones are much quieter than the made in china one.

See -> http://reefbuilders.com/2011/11/14/cobalt-aquatics-maxijet/

not sure where or when it was made, I bought it a couple of years ago for a FW tank and it's been sitting in a box for about 3 Yrs, maybe it just went bad, I think Isaac is on the right path with a manifold, I have little to no noise with the DC pumps, it's probably going to work out a lot cheaper than buying a new pump too. 

I'm not trying to spend money if I dont have to, I'm just not happy with the noise from the MJ

just looked at your link, sorry, yes it's a Cobalt MJ not the Marineland, although I own 2 Marineland MJ's (400 and 600) and I dont notice any difference, I use them on Frag tanks in another room so noise isnt an issue there

I dislike the manifold option if you're running a Herbie or Bean Animal setup, as their tuning is very much tied to the return output. My personal opinion.

That's actually what I was wondering about. I have a Bean Animal setup, and my DC6000 is running at less than 50%. I want to run a higher flow through my reactor and was thinking about a manifold option.

Wouldn't your fine-tuning simply have to account for the manifold output? And once it was set, you simply wouldn't touch it.

Wouldn't your fine-tuning simply have to account for the manifold output? And once it was set, you simply wouldn't touch it.

Short answer, yes.

Long answer, you will have to change media at some sort of frequency, but personally, I've never had any trouble adjusting.

I just added a T to my return with a valve for my reactor.. just added it two weeks ago... chopped off the pipe, add the T glued back together and let it flow... seems to work fine...

0659460a148442673969f6c263e2265f.jpg

I just added a T to my return with a valve for my reactor.. just added it two weeks ago... chopped off the pipe, add the T glued back together and let it flow... seems to work fine...

Now I just have to figure out what size all the tubing is....

I dislike the manifold option if you're running a Herbie or Bean Animal setup, as their tuning is very much tied to the return output. My personal opinion.

I dont on the 90 but I have already drilled the 125 for a bean animal setup, thanks for the heads up, I will most likely be using a 75 gal for my sump on the next build or at least a 40B so hopefully I will have a little more space to work with.

nice clean setup, is that a 40B? sump, what size DT is that on? I have another tank project that got put on hold due to work, looks like you have plenty of room to work and easy access to your equipment.

Thanks.. yea 40b... it's on a shallow 80... biggest sump I have had and I absolutely love it haha... I have had some tight ones in the past...

Here's the top half haha

e2a5d027fe1bf974fe20c86ad6396fb1.jpg

Oh the mangrove roots are beautiful in the tank!

The reactor I have is a TLF 150. I'm sure I can look on their website for the dimensions. I'm just dreading any more plumbing.....

Thanks.. yea 40b... it's on a shallow 80... biggest sump I have had and I absolutely love it haha... I have had some tight ones in the past...

Here's the top half haha

e2a5d027fe1bf974fe20c86ad6396fb1.jpg

very nice, I have to move again at the end of the year, not sure if I'm going for a 6'-8' Fish only next or a shallow reef, tempted to stay away from coral until I will be somewhere for longer than a couple of years, but I love the way a reef tank looks

• 2 weeks later...

Build a manifold and run it off your return. You shouldn't have to tumble hard to get good results. My cs3 runs on x2 psk1000s and an mj12000, loudest thing on my tank.

so my Majijet got clogged with GHA and burned out,(thought things had gotten quiet) so I went ahead and ordered a Jebao DC1200(the baby one).

I tried looking at the hardware store for all the parts to build a manifold but, I had no luck. if anyone could point me in the right direction with that, I would still prefer to take that route, I'm sure I can find another purpose for the Jebao DC1200.

I found it on Amazon really cheaphttp://www.amazon.com/jebao-DC1200-submerge-Variable-speed/dp/B00MUHH1TY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1422187924&sr=8-1&keywords=jebao+dc+1200&pebp=1422187925993&peasin=B00MUHH1TY

Thanks to whoever suggested that pump, I didnt know there was a smaller one than the DC3000

After looking at GOSKN5's Reactor, it looks pretty simple, the issue I am having is that I have my return hooked up to 3/4" Flex hose not PVC and trying to get it all to match up was a PITA, I think if I just hard plumb the return line it will be a quick and easy job.