Moving a tank

dmatt56

Hello everyone,

I might be moving in the next year.  How on earth do I move a 180 gallon aquarium?  Good news: I plan on buying a 180 or larger for the new house.  I'd have it up and running before starting the transition.

I merged a 54 and 90 when I started my 180.  It wasn't bad since it was in the same house.  The new house would be less than 20 miles away.

Who has experience moving a reef tank?  How did it work?  What advice do you have?

Thanks,

Matt

I hired someone so it was really easy.

I do remember they had containers for all of the water and they kept the containers with the fish heated while they worked on getting the tank ready.  Once the moved tank temp matched they put the fish in.  Lost one fish and one coral.

The fish I lost was killed when they were removing the live rock.  I don't remember how or what coral was lost.  To save room they used 5g water cooler drums and Rubbermaid bins for the live rock.  Fish were put in their own Rubbermaid bin.

Marco, told me to sell all live stock, and coral and start fresh, I wished we took his advice every time I see an Aussie elegance my heart sorta sinks, it had over 32 mouths on it and was larger then a cantaloupe., looking back onto the chain of events my suggestion would be have someone you trust host your prize pieces, frag out to some friends so if you loose one of your corals you can get another start, sell you delicate fish. Unless your planning on moving a tank into your new house 2 months prior to your move, cycle it with water changes from your old tank 1/2 old & 1/2 new give your skimmer time to break in. The fish you keep put them into QT, for at least 7 days prior to putting them in the big display tank. This way will hopefully keep you from having fish get so stress that you get a ick outbreak, with a larger tank your lighting will be different, even the natural light that the room gets will be different. So really do a lot, of planning, coordinate with those who do it for professional, and those who have done large volume tank moves.

I know Fred made a comment regarding the depth of the tank and being able to reach it but I thought I would add a few things for our tank move. Make a list and check it twice, say a prayer and be ready for the unexpected.

With that I'll say goodnight! It's way past my bedtime

Edited by Cheshireboxers

• 2 months later...

So......it's happening.... I'm either selling the 180 and going BIGGER or selling everything and taking a break from the hobby.  We purchased a new home this week and close on May 1.  It looks like I WILL be able to get a bigger tank..... trying to decide whether I want to try moving everything.  It's about 10 miles from my current home.

This year marks 6 years in the hobby.... and our daughter turns 1 in June.... such a predicament!!

Can I get a few opinions from parents who had young children with their tanks?  My 180 is VERY stable now and I perform minimal maintenance (water changes every 6 weeks).  The thought of starting a new tank and moving everything is somewhat scary (even tho only 10 minutes way)!  Likewise, a new tank will be $2500 and there's a chance things will die during the move..... So... sell everything and recoup some of the 6 year investment or take a chance of moving.....

THANKS everyone!

Matt

Will you have some overlap b/t the two homes?  If you have time to mix new water at the new place it would help a lot.  Let me know if you need any help, as I am pretty close.

Good luck!  Look at the positives you are moving up!  

Edit - Also, if I remember correctly you have mostly soft corals with a few sps.  Maybe sell the sps and move the rest.

Edited by BowieReefer84

You'll be fine, why don't you stick 180 and just move it? Same rock, same coral, same water, 10 minutes away... Seems like an easy move to me!

Will you have some overlap b/t the two homes?  If you have time to mix new water at the new place it would help a lot.  Let me know if you need any help, as I am pretty close.

Good luck!  Look at the positives you are moving up!  

Edit - Also, if I remember correctly you have mostly soft corals with a few sps.  Maybe sell the sps and move the rest.

+1 if you have overlap you can move all the things your wife thinks are important and do the tank last. Have water made, and you should be able to do it in a day if you are only 10 min away. You will have tons of new expenses with a new home and throwing a new tank in the mix might be a problem IMO. If not, sell everything that would not transfer from a 180 to 300 equipment wise and keep the items you could use on the 300 build.

No overlap.....sell everything that would not transfer from a 180 to 300 equipment wise and keep the items you could use on the 300 build.

There will be at least a month overlap between houses.

I thought two tanks for peace of mind. I can setup the new tank with half fresh water and then being over 50 gal from current tank (essentially a water change) and base rock. Then, bring over corals. Then fish.

My 180 has sand and would be nearly impossible to move in a day.

Every time I move I say never again let alone with a tank now. So many unthought of stresses. However since you are moving so close I would just move everything over to the new house. Once you are settled in you can think about an upgrade.

I would also be willing to help you out. With a few people you won't have to worry about it taking more then a day.