Broke my new Maxspect Gyre already

Rob A

Just a few days of operation and a tiny snail got into the inside of the impeller. It is bigger than the gaps between the blades so It broke one of the blades in the process. I haven't started it up since so I don't know if it will vibrate or be out of balance now.3c652d86f3d2920e605fb9ed208e352c.jpg

(edited)

It has an extra pair of blades but I haven't looked at them yet. I assume one is an A and one is a B.

Edited by Rob A

The snail was returned to the tank. I don't know if it was still alive after being spun for who knows how long. But if he is, let's hope he doesn't try to take a ride in the pump again.

Too bad, not a great way to get into the new year. How frustrating!   :mad:   

Maybe Maxspect or CoralVue would like to hear your experience and send you a replacement for free if you contact them.

Hopefully you have changed it out with a spare that comes with the pump... it's not too tough a swap... still sucks to have to use a spare that quick

This has definitely made me rethink my strategy for the new build

Stinks that it broke, but it seems like a really nice thing that they include spares with the purchase.  I don't know of other powerheads that include spares.  They likely do it because they know the design of the blower-style cages has more fragile blades than a normal propeller shaped one.  One of the design compromises.  They even mention checking the blades for breakage on their maintenance blog post:

http://blog.coralvue.com/ctvt-maxspect-gyre-maintenance-troubleshooting/

I think it's a little nassarius snail. I also recently got 100 hermit crabs that came with tiny shells similar to this one. I also pulled an astrina star out from between the fins. Here is a closer pic of the snail.

dc2e455745df2d639554a5a828be38e2.jpg

I should clarify...the snail only broke one end of the blade. It was making a noise from rubbing against the cage. When I tried to get the snail out I broke it completely out. Either way, I assume it was toast unless a spot of glue would have held it together. It's running now with the broken rotor and doesn't seem to be vibrating. I'll probably swap it out to be safe.

Sure does. I keep pulling those out of my display as they are more of a predator than nassarius. I put them in the fuge, but they can probably get back up to the display when reproducing.

Also look at the collumbulid (spelling?) Which looks like a well but is a good snail to have..

Still suprised it got in there and even more that it broke

Looks like a dove snail.  Harmless. I'd still be contacting Maxspect directly.  The worst they can say is no if you ask for a replacement rotor.

Edited by FirstContact

I have a ton of hermits and other snails with tiny shells so I think a lot of them could cause this problem...but maybe they have to be lined up just right to get forced in between the rotor blades.

I just registered my pump on Friday and then I wrote a review (which isn't posted yet) so I want to wait a few days and see what happens. I praised it for the flow but expressed concern about this possible problem with tiny critters.