Autofeeders

TrueTricia

So I'm wondering what everyone's thoughts on autofeeders are. I currently have an Enheim autofeeder, but love the idea of the Apex AFS. My biggest complaints with the Enheim is really the dispersal method. I use it to feed pellets, and I think the door on the Enheim is ill-suited for pellets. Anyone have another brand that they love? Anyone have the Apex AFS? And if so, is it worth the money? $50 to not have to program something may or may not be worth the cost.

I had the Apex AFS.  Sold it now.  It worked well.  Kinda noisy as it cranked out, but it kept the food nice and dry.  I thought the door mechanism was similar to the eheim if not a bit less sensitive.  I've also had the eheim and the aquachef auto feeders.  Eheim was the best of the three from what I've been able to try.

BTW, if you don't mind programming it yourself you can get this one:

http://www.amazon.com/IntelliFeed-Aquarium-Fish-Feeder/dp/B007AA2R54

Which is exactly the same feeder as the AFS, but without the Apex Aquabus integration.

I have the apex and like It. I also have the enheim as a backup. The integration is what I wanted and was the selling feature for me. It is loud but I don't care. It's running when I'm not home which is the entire point. If I'm home im going to be feeding the fish myself.

I have the AFS now.  I like it.  Yeah, it is noisy, but I don't really care about that since it's back behind in the fish room.  But before that, I had this:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+4430+13988&pcatid=13988

And it was very much worth the $16.  Unless you really need the integration into the rest of your timing from Apex, not sure the AFS is worth $84 more.

I have two Eheim autofeeders (one's a spare). I've not tried the AFS but, since I'm happy with the Eheim, probably won't. I've used the Eheim to feed small pellets without trouble. You just have to crank the door way down and feed using multiple turns through the day. (for example: 2 turns 3 times per day). I've been meaning to modify one of the Eheims using Jon Lazar's method (or something similar) from a while back so I could integrate it with a controller, but have never gotten around to it....

I have two Eheim autofeeders (one's a spare). I've not tried the AFS but, since I'm happy with the Eheim, probably won't. I've used the Eheim to feed small pellets without trouble. You just have to crank the door way down and feed using multiple turns through the day. (for example: 2 turns 3 times per day). I've been meaning to modify one of the Eheims using Jon Lazar's method (or something similar) from a while back so I could integrate it with a controller, but have never gotten around to it....

If you do, I'll give you a second Eheim to practice on too! ;)

Didn't you get one from Isaac that had been modified for apex control?  I thought I remembered giving that to you when I sold you my Apex hardware but maybe that was someone else.

I have 2 Apex ones on my tank. one drops pellets, a small amount, 2 times a day (mixed pellets). The other drops flakes, 1 time per day. I do small feedings, 3 times, instead of 1 or 2 larger.  I love them. Never had an issue, easy to use.  

Didn't you get one from Isaac that had been modified for apex control?  I thought I remembered giving that to you when I sold you my Apex hardware but maybe that was someone else.

Home grown WAMAS modification from Lazar to control the Eheim using a 12v power supply and a controller.  Designed to be able to stop feeding action if other functions fail on tank.

Alan, the one I sold her is the exact same one modded with the instructions Lazar pointed above. She was having trouble getting it working with her Apex I think, or cord? I can't remember which one. Either way, I was meant to provide some insight once I was settled in. I doubt that will be ever, what was the problem again, Tricia? 

Alan, the one I sold her is the exact same one modded with the instructions Lazar pointed above. She was having trouble getting it working with her Apex I think, or cord? I can't remember which one. Either way, I was meant to provide some insight once I was settled in. I doubt that will be ever, what was the problem again, Tricia? 

There was an electrical connection issue. It worked on batteries like a normal Eheim feeder, but when plugged into a power bar (or even a normal wall outlet tied to a switch), it wouldn't turn when the power came on. I tried buying some new cords, but I never got it to work. I even had someone else troubleshoot it. So I've been using it like a normal Eheim porgrammed on batteries and unplugged. Isaac, let me know when things are settled for you. I'm not in a rush but I don't want to forget about it.

I have 2 Apex ones on my tank. one drops pellets, a small amount, 2 times a day (mixed pellets). The other drops flakes, 1 time per day. I do small feedings, 3 times, instead of 1 or 2 larger.  I love them. Never had an issue, easy to use.  

So I get that they work great as autofeeders. I get the ability to not have to program it yourself. But when tied directly into the apex, what are the other differences/advantages? It takes me 5 minutes to program even the Eheim. Why would I (or anyone following along) pay the extra money for the apex feeder?

I'm interested in WHY people chose their specific models. What are the things you like/didn't like about it? After having it for a bit, what are the things you wish it did/didn't do? Do you wish you'd bought another one, etc.

aquachef does not have the little fan to intake fresh air so things often get clumped from the humidity....also the backs are known to pop off and drop batteries into your tank (ask me how i know)...so if you get one tape the back battery panel.

ehiems are pretty good, as long as you use the same size pellets

only other thing the apex one gives you is...name...and you can push a button on your phone and feed more (yes im just jealous of apex users....still use the old acIII cause im cheap).

i think i like the larger ehiem with the twin screws (1 sonar ping only please ...in a sean connery voice)  as they seem like they would control the amount that falls out much better than the little ehiem...may have to look into one of those. didnt even realize there was a difference (thanks rob)

Only thing i would mention now that you have a tank with overflows.....its good to make a contraption (or use a piece of pvc) so the pellets actually sink vs float on top into the overflow....i just use a 2 in coupler that is only barely submerged...though the fish learn this is where the food comes out and the tangs park themselves near it when the ehiem turns....taking most of the food, so if you put a powerhead directly underneath that helps too.

Only thing i would mention now that you have a tank with overflows.....its good to make a contraption (or use a piece of pvc) so the pellets actually sink vs float on top into the overflow....i just use a 2 in coupler that is only barely submerged...though the fish learn this is where the food comes out and the tangs park themselves near it when the ehiem turns....taking most of the food, so if you put a powerhead directly underneath that helps too.

That's almost exactly how I do it - a DIY feeding ring. Except, since my tank is in-wall, I cut a board to fit over the back corner of the tank and screwed a short length of gray, thin-walled PVC to the inside of a 2-inch hole that I drilled through it. The length of the tubing is set so that it extends just below the water's surface. There are two screws under the plywood that serve as stops and hold the plywood in place. The feeder is set up so, when it's used, it drops the pellets into the tube and keeps them trapped until they sink (and can't go over the overflow). 

i think i like the larger ehiem with the twin screws (1 sonar ping only please ...in a sean connery voice)  as they seem like they would control the amount that falls out much better than the little ehiem...may have to look into one of those. didnt even realize there was a difference (thanks rob)

Great movie.... I wonder if it's on netflix...

That's almost exactly how I do it - a DIY feeding ring. Except, since my tank is in-wall, I cut a board to fit over the back corner of the tank and screwed a short length of gray, thin-walled PVC to the inside of a 2-inch hole that I drilled through it. The length of the tubing is set so that it extends just below the water's surface. There are two screws under the plywood that serve as stops and hold the plywood in place. The feeder is set up so, when it's used, it drops the pellets into the tube and keeps them trapped until they sink (and can't go over the overflow). 

I've heard lots of people talk about the different ways they keep their overflow monsters from eating all the food. I had my return pump programmed to shut off 5 minutes before the Eheim was programmed to feed. Then it turned on 5 minutes after the feed. This allowed time for the water level to drop below the overflow and the food to sink before the level was raised again.

I just have one of those cheap floating styrofoam feeding rings.  It sort of works.  QR had a neat looking one that I never got around to buying and Avast was playing with a prototype stand and ring specifically made for an eheim feeder, but I think it ended up being too expensive to make for what they could get for it retail.