My Tanks

ChrisTran

The tank is built under the stairs. Here is a picture of it awhile back

FTS.jpg

Holy cow! That's beautiful!

That is gorgeous!  How do you get in it?  Are the stairs going over and behind it?

yes the stairs are over and behind the tank.  I access to the back of the tank from a door on the side of the stairs.  Very tiny space and packed with full equipment, ;-)

Wow, you have a gift!  No problems with losing fish to your haddonis in the SPS tank?  Is that a large colony of oregon tort in the top right corner?  what's the purple coral in the bottom left behind the red planet? 

Chris can you take a picture from the right side that shows the SPS tank, the LPS tank and the stairs? I know it will not be as pretty, but it will show how everything is set up.

Great display on both tanks, actually don't you have 3 tanks down there?

All your tanks look great, but the one under the stairs that is grown out looks stupendous.  Is that a real live bonsai tree in the one tank?

It's a plastic bonsai I picked up from ebay. I shorten the branches and glued them back together; that way the bonsai won't shade all the corals below.

Wow, you have a gift!  No problems with losing fish to your haddonis in the SPS tank?  Is that a large colony of oregon tort in the top right corner?  what's the purple coral in the bottom left behind the red planet?

In the past 8 months, I have lost 1 yellow watchman. Keeping my fingers crossed! You were right the top right is Oregon tort and the bottom left is California tort.

Chris can you take a picture from the right side that shows the SPS tank, the LPS tank and the stairs? I know it will not be as pretty, but it will show how everything is set up.

Great display on both tanks, actually don't you have 3 tanks down there?

Yup Ken, the camera is still laying around. I will take a couple pics later today.

Currently I have only 2 tanks in the basement and am dealing with the "smell". I will need to install a ventilation system just like yours. I don't know where to begin.

Edited by ChrisTran

Very nice. The nems are getting BIG.

The menterns got sucked into the power heads twice. Got chopped up badly but was able to survive.

Edited by ChrisTran

Currently I have only 2 tanks in the basement and am dealing with the "smell". I will need to install a ventilation system just like yours. I don't know where to begin.

Chris, installing a bath ventilation fan is fairly easy.  The tricky part is snaking a 3" flexible vent from the fan to where it can be mounted on an outside wall, usually in the joist space between your basement and the main floor.

Another option is an air to air heat exchanger.  This gets rid of the humid inside air while stealing about 70% of the warmth of the inside air to preheat the low humidity and cold outside air that comes in to replace it.  It lowers your basement humidity levels and gets rid of smelly inside air without driving up your home heating bills too much.  These heat exchangers tend to start around $400-$500.  They are not too much trouble to install.