Found baby fish tonight!!

lnevo

Well, the herd has thinned tonight. The two I found yesterday in the overflow are still there, and instead of 20-30 in the DT we are down to 10-15 or so. More than 10 I think.

So I now have an idea how long I have to fatten these guys up. I am going to try and prepare for the next hatching event and at least try to raise them in the DT. I'll get at least a brine culture going. They stay close together and I could easily spot feed a few times a day with the pumps off.

Overall this has been a fantastic experience and amazed that such advanced life within my tank can propagate. It's one things to see snails and micro-organisms, but to see a swarm of little baby fishes is just so cool.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's seriously exciting! And an awesome experience in vicariously living through you!

I think I've only seen 2 in the overflow and tonight I was able to count the ones in the DT. There were thirteen in there. They aren't swimming as close and starting to venture. I don't think anyones trying to eat them. The clowns had plenty of opportunity the first night when you can see them hovering by the nem. I think I may be losing to starvation and my filter sock.

I think I've only seen 2 in the overflow and tonight I was able to count the ones in the DT. There were thirteen in there. They aren't swimming as close and starting to venture. I don't think anyones trying to eat them. The clowns had plenty of opportunity the first night when you can see them hovering by the nem. I think I may be losing to starvation and my filter sock.

Maybe pull the filter sock for a while?

Well, they're all gone now except for one in the overflow. I'm rooting for him!! The others are gone as far as I can tell. I'll be looking into some cultures and ways to "snag" the larvae in the future. I may try the next attempt with feeding artemia nauplii in the DT before working on a dedicated space for them. We'll see. :)

At least you know you have a healthy environment for them to breed!  Congrats, that is the first step. I would be very happy :clap:

Yep, except now there's a leak somewhere in my system. The carpet around my tank is moist all around. So now I need to figure out how I'm going to tackle this one and preserve this healthy environment :(

Yep, except now there's a leak somewhere in my system. The carpet around my tank is moist all around. So now I need to figure out how I'm going to tackle this one and preserve this healthy environment :(

That is not fun........good luck

Where are you located?

Not close enough :(

I'm in North Bellmore, NY. Thats on Long Island for those that are familiar.

Sorry, good luck, let us know what went wrong.

It's an eshopps r-100. My plan right now is to pull everything out and drain the tank down to enough water for the fish to be ok and then get the tank onto some furniter mover coasters. Theres already shimms there so getting under shouldn't be that tough the question is how to lever it without damaging the stand. Then move the stand and tank over so I can clean the carpet, dry it out and inspect the wood underneath for damage. Then reverse the operation when it's dried out. Obviously have to replace/repair the sump. But at least i have a plan.

Also for the record and to keep the thread on topic, there is still one baby fish in the overflow...

• 3 weeks later...

So ever since the last hatch, my tank has been declining. Corals are receding, my montis are all dead, and my green slimer tips are holding small bouquets of algae. Probably the massive amounts of food i gave to the kiddos. Anyway, i been keeping an eye on my chromis den and found this today, which I'm pretty sure wasnt there yesterday. It's been a bit over a month since I last saw the babies and this is the first time seeing eggs.

51a6663d7bfe289d3d9736f733ea9a45.jpg

Oh, and my bi-color blenny looks huge and pregnant too...no other blennies in the tank btw.