Why not keep clownfish?

treesprite

I keep thinking about getting rid of some fish and it seems the most logical ones to get rid of are my clownfish. I would like to know the specific reasons for which other people decide not to keep them even though having systems in which clownfish could easily live.

LOL @ Neto and Iveno!

I keep wanting to get rid of my fish so I don't have to do as much maintanence. I don't want to give up my nice yellow tang. My firefish would be impossible to catch. The green clown goby is little more than a ghost. All that is left is the clowns, and all I have to do to catch them is put the duncan coral they live in into a net. 

I like the relationship between a clown pair and an anemone. The symbiotic relationships always fascinate me, I've often thought about getting rid of my clown pair as well, but if I did, it would be to trade them for a designer pair. My wife also bought them as my first fish for a Christmas gift, so there is some emotional attachment there.

I'm not convinced that getting rid of your clowns would make maintenance any easier, just my 2 cents.

I think fish are a personal preference IMO. You have the clown fish already right? Why did you get it in the first place? I still think clown fish are beautiful. I like the way they move their bodies, I like the way they stay together as mated pairs, and I love the way they interact with a host. I have a Snowflake clown that lives in a frogspawn which I could watch all day. It is your tank and your choice.

Clownfish pairs have a cuteness factor - I guess that's why I have always had them. The ones I have are still too young to be laying eggs, but have been together for a couple of years.

I realized a couple hours ago, that I would also have to get rid of my serpent star and my two shrimp if I want to stop putting a ton of meaty food in the tank. Maybe I just need to find better ways to control what happens to the food I put in the tank.

Either way, I'm tired of being attacked. I also don't know what to do with my tank.

I still think clown fish are beautiful. I like the way they move their bodies,

That why I like Supermodels.  I just can't keep them

What maintenance are you trying to get rid of? Are you just over feeding?

Lazy. Not enough time. Seems like things would be a lot easier if there were no fish in the tank to worry about.

Even if you get rid of the clownfish, you're still gonna have a yellow tang, firefish, green clown goby, serpent star, and 2 shrimp. Meaning your feeding schedule will probably be the same as with the clownfish.

My recommendation:

Get rid of the tang. They require nori to be healthy which means you have to cut a piece and attach it to your tank. If you get rid of the tang your system could run on an automatic fish feeder. Not ideal but you're the one that said lazy, not me...

Keep in mind too that if you change the bioload greatly (meaning greatly reducing meaty foods) you may have some unintended consequences as your tank finds balance. If everything is in check right now I would just leave it. If your tank is big enough for a tang I can't imagine a clownfish making much of a dent. The biting would mean it was gone though.

i know, I know. I think a lot of us occasionally have moments of not knowing what to do with our tanks. I miss the corals I lost. I look at pictures of them and want them back.

. I think a lot of us occasionally have moments of not knowing what to do with our tanks. 

Sometimes I put my tank on a dolly and push it under my car for when I change the oil

Lazy. Not enough time. Seems like things would be a lot easier if there were no fish in the tank to worry about.

The empty tanks in my basement are incredibly easy to take care of, but not much fun to watch.  Keep the nemos!  

I prefer to keep evil fish and not many corals...so when I move back to WA I'll be going back to a fowlr with a few zoas and whatever else will live with my favorite triggers,lol

(edited)

I don't like seeing birds in cages. When I had birds as a kid, we let them have the fly of the house a couple times a week. Ironically, while the cat never bothered them as they flew around the house, he managed to get his paw into the cage bars and tear the wing completely off from where it attaches to the bird's body. The poor thing just sat on the bottom of the cage and I had to go to school with it that way. Came home and it was dead. Not liking cages isn't just about wanting birds to be free, it's about making birds vulnerable to dangerous that ordinarily could be avoided. It happens to the animals kept in aquariums too, but I have this idea in my head that the motile animals I keep don't need as much open room to swim/crawl/squirm as birds need to fly.

It's so much harder to consider taking down a tank after removing and scrubbing all the rock and cooking it for 2 months then painstakeningly re-aquascaping the tank with it for hours and hours over several days. I think I'm trying to figure out a way to take down the tank without actually taking down the tank.

Edited by treesprite