DIY aquarium tops

thakki

Any ideas on DIY aquarium tops...mine is a bow front to make things complicated  :sad:

I saw few options in home depot using window screens...but its too dense...and its black...it will impact the light penetration...couldnt find better alternative...I heard bulk reef supplies has some kit...just wanted to check before going that route. Thanks.

clear quarter inch netting and a regular frame kit from lowes works even for bowfront. look up a djplus1 thread to see how he made one. It takes a while to bend, but I did one too with some mapp gas and leather gloves and a little bit of setting the table on fire.

Any ideas on DIY aquarium tops...mine is a bow front to make things complicated  :sad:

I saw few options in home depot using window screens...but its too dense...and its black...it will impact the light penetration...couldnt find better alternative...I heard bulk reef supplies has some kit...just wanted to check before going that route. Thanks.

clear quarter inch netting and a regular frame kit from lowes works even for bowfront. look up a djplus1 thread to see how he made one. It takes a while to bend, but I did one too with some mapp gas and leather gloves and a little bit of setting the table on fire.

Here you go.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I finally completed installing the screen tops for my bow front tank. I used SCREENING BASE STRIP as it was made of plastic and flexible...some spline...birds net and some crazy glue to stick the strip corners. It was very laborious but I am glad its done now. It's not very strong as I wanted it to be...but solves the purpose. I am happy with it. Thought it would help people who are thinking about screen tops especially for a bow front tank like mine. Here are few pictures.

f8a7587b2650db4d84815e178f310814.jpg

3c4c88cfe31a99e1cd364e2129e71340.jpg

e22daf623d7bdda79cb994857c19e366.jpg

0093f826093e7b60c63423ca5266edff.jpg

Edited by thakki

Good work.  It looks great.  And that won't block light like egg crate would.  I heard it will get brittle over time though.  So keep an eye on that.  At least under metal halides, I don't know about under LEDs.

After looking at this thread, since I am going to have to do something, I have come up with an idea. BRS sells rolls of the clear or white 1/4" or 1/2" mesh and since I have a 96' x 30" tank a frame for the mesh would create a large object I would have to move to get in the tank. If I did separate sections, I would then have "shadow lines" where both sections of the frames would meet. So why not create a retractable mesh "shade". replace the shade material which  you would use on a window with the mesh so that it is attached to one side where the roller mechanism is located, and attachment point on the other so the it would stay in place when extended.

I just thought of this 5 min ago, so  don't have any details and have to get tho work, but I figure I would post it so I don't forget. Anyone have any ideas to go with this? Let me know what you think.

I'm not sure if the mesh would be able to hold the strain of pulling?

I see what you are saying, like a roller shade...and I could easily see how this could be accomplished also...

I would buy one at the length you need and cut off the length that would cover the tank top..affixing the mesh to the part of the shade that is left intact on the roller....

I like the idea...so go see if it works :)

I'm not sure if the mesh would be able to hold the strain of pulling?

I see what you are saying, like a roller shade...and I could easily see how this could be accomplished also...

I would buy one at the length you need and cut off the length that would cover the tank top..affixing the mesh to the part of the shade that is left intact on the roller....

I like the idea...so go see if it works :)

I will probably try it, just thought of it 2 hours ago! :tongue:

I have an acrylic tank where the bracing is clear but hangs over the edge of the tank 5", so I would not need as much support on the sides as a glass tank.

Good work.  It looks great.  And that won't block light like egg crate would.  I heard it will get brittle over time though.  So keep an eye on that.  At least under metal halides, I don't know about under LEDs.

Very good work

Thanks.

After looking at this thread, since I am going to have to do something, I have come up with an idea. BRS sells rolls of the clear or white 1/4" or 1/2" mesh and since I have a 96' x 30" tank a frame for the mesh would create a large object I would have to move to get in the tank. If I did separate sections, I would then have "shadow lines" where both sections of the frames would meet. So why not create a retractable mesh "shade". replace the shade material which  you would use on a window with the mesh so that it is attached to one side where the roller mechanism is located, and attachment point on the other so the it would stay in place when extended.

I just thought of this 5 min ago, so  don't have any details and have to get tho work, but I figure I would post it so I don't forget. Anyone have any ideas to go with this? Let me know what you think.

Good idea. Keep us posted when its done.

It looks like you used 1/2" mesh?  Some folks will tell you that the 1/2" isn't small enough to totally stop jumpers and that if you put skinny stuff like flasher wrasses, firefish, small gobies, etc. in there which are known jumpers you may get one stuck in the mesh and drying out just above the surface of the water.  Seems unlikely, but that's what I've been told before.

It looks like you used 1/2" mesh?  Some folks will tell you that the 1/2" isn't small enough to totally stop jumpers and that if you put skinny stuff like flasher wrasses, firefish, small gobies, etc. in there which are known jumpers you may get one stuck in the mesh and drying out just above the surface of the water.  Seems unlikely, but that's what I've been told before.

I am not planning on having any of those jumpers in my tank...just wanted to make sure that I have something on the top in case any of the fish try jumping out. I know what you are saying...1/4 inch would have been perfect.