Live Q&A About Corals Being Listed As "Endangered"

Jesse

I wanted to share the link to this upcoming event Mr. Saltwater Tank is hosting.  

While at MACNA both last year and this year, I was fortunate to hear Julian Sprung and others talk about NOAA's listing of 20 corals (some of them are corals we all have in our tanks) as "threatened".  

This is an important issue for anyone wanting to keep a reef tank in the future.  If you are not able to join the live event, subscribe to this thread and I will post the link to the replay once it is released.

Here is the link to Mr. Saltwater Tank's talk: https://new.livestream.com/accounts/1673384/events/3370656.

This is the description that Mr. Saltwater Tank emailed out about this event:

The subject line isn't a joke. This week's live Q&A is all about the recent ruling by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) that listed 20 corals as "threatened". That might not sound like a big deal until I tell you that several of these corals are common corals kept in saltwater tanks. After talking with several industry experts about the ruling and posing questions such as,   "not a big deal, we have plenty of aquacultured corals, right?", I'm concernedto say the least.

Even more concerning to me is the lack of awareness amongst hobbyist about the topic, especially considering how nearly every hobbyist will be affected by this ruling. Therefore, this week's Q&A is all about this recent ruling, how it will affect your saltwater tank and what to do about it. If you haven't attended a live Q&A yet, this is the one to watch. Full details below:

What: Live Q&A About Corals Being Listed As "Endangered"

When: Tuesday, Sept 9th, 12pm (noon) Central Time

How to Watch: Follow This Link

Note: A recording will be posted in the days after the event for those of you that can't attend the live session.

- Mark Callahan

Mr. Saltwater Tank

Edited by Jesse

I am finding the way that "threatened" and "endangered" are being occasionally switched in the information confusing.  I think they're distinct designations, right?  His title says "endangered" which I don't think the ruling said.

I am finding the way that "threatened" and "endangered" are being occasionally switched in the information confusing.  I think they're distinct designations, right?  His title says "endangered" which I don't think the ruling said.

Yes, you are correct.  These are two different things.  I imagine that Mark will be talking about it tomorrow, but I understand it that NOAA has currently identified the 20 species as threatened.  The trouble is NOAA left the door COMPLETELY open as to what this means or being able to move them to endangered or provide the threatened corals protections that endangered species receive.  Basically, we could wake up tomorrow and all be breaking the law for having an endangered species in our homes.

I will post the link to the video of today once released.

In the meantime, I wanted to share a couple other articles of interest on the subject. Rich Ross, the speaker at our next club meeting, posted this article: http://www.reefs.com/blog/2014/09/09/pijac-organization-support/. One thing he mentioned that I was unaware of is that MASNA was offering a matching donation to PIJAC for anyone that donates thru this link: http://masna.org/blog/masna-accepts-donations-for-pijac/. This is a wonderful thing that MASNA is doing. I urge anyone that is donating to please use his special link.

Rich mentions in his article the post that Ret Talbot made today: http://rettalbot.wordpress.com/2014/09/09/pijac-goes-public/. This is another great article with good information.

if they made the law tonite, and you had a whole tank full of illegal corals, who would know? is there now gonna be the real tang police who will look at what you have and write you a ticket or lock you up? very doubtful.

if they made the law tonite, and you had a whole tank full of illegal corals, who would know? is there now gonna be the real tang police who will look at what you have and write you a ticket or lock you up? very doubtful.

I agree. There isn't much anyone can or would do with existing corals in your tank, but it is extremely likely you will not be able to trade, buy or sell any of the listed corals in the future without PIJAC's help. The way the law is written, anything that looks like one of the listed corals to an inspection officer (mainly for shipping/receiving corals), can be considered as a listed coral. This is a slippery slope.

I for one do not like the possibility I am not allowed to buy a new branching frogspawn if there further action taken.

Threatened is a specific classification in the Endangered Species Act. The report on this is around 1,200 pages long. It was mentioned in another thread here recently. I skimmed the document rather quickly. It really bears a good look by people here if you're going to form an opinion on the approach used to reach their conclusions. What does remain open right now is not the recommendation, but the action that will be taken consequent to the recommendation and how it will affect the hobby. The report indicates that commercial aquarium trade has low impact on the species long term success. Environmental change is near the top of the list. Unfortunately, using the ESA to effect environmental change seems to be a tenuous and weak strategy at best.

I know this is an issue for some of us, including me, but PIJAC supports puppy mills and the retail sale of dogs in stores.

That is a major issue for me!  I hate PUPPY MILLS!

OH YEAH!  Big issue for me so no way no how I will donate to them!  They promote Hunte Corp.  and a certain store in my signature! 

Edited by Huly