Super loud MP10es

MrSexyShrimp

I bought a Vortech MP10es from a club member... New in box, sealed, still under warranty.

This thing is loud as heck. Even on its lowest setting it's very annoying. Anything higher than the lowest setting is absolutely a non-starter.

I did use the rubber spacer.

I read there's a break in period but I don't know how I'm going to live with this running for 2 weeks in my bedroom/office while it breaks in. Maybe in a bucket under my sink.

Edited by MrSexyShrimp

Yea, mine only makes a lot of noise when the wet and dry side are not lined up correctly. Take the wet side out, take the propeller cover off, and check to see that the plastic cover with the three latches are all attached. If that comes loose it can bump into the propeller and make a lot of noise.

Edited by DuffyGeos

I tried making a video with my iPhone but it doesn't capture the droning sound at low speed.

Yea, mine only makes a lot of noise when the wet and dry side are not lined up correctly. Take the wet side out, take the propeller cover off, and check to see that the plastic cover with the three latches are all attached. If that comes loose it can bump into the propeller and make a lot of noise.

I will have to find instructions, it looks like I'd have to peel off the pad on the back. Everything feels solid though.

Does the MP10 have a pin spacer? i have the MP40 and needed to set the pin spacer to the thickness of my aquarium glass

Google says no. I do have a rubber spacing pad on the dry side.

Still under warranty? Contact Ecotech directly. They'll help you out.

This.

Still under warranty? Contact Ecotech directly. They'll help you out.

That's the plan if this break-in period doesn't work.

Sometimes it just feels nice to complain.

On a related note. MY BRAND NEW RODI IS LEAKING. ARGH.

Rbn8Q64.jpg

I tried making a video with my iPhone but it doesn't capture the droning sound at low speed.

I will have to find instructions, it looks like I'd have to peel off the pad on the back. Everything feels solid though.

No you don't. Turn it off, remove the wet side- watch it the dry side will probably fall off, and if it does not take it off so it does not fall. Hold the wet side in the palm of your had, with the other hand turn the propeller housing counter clockwise. This should remove the cover. Pull the propeller off. The black plastic cover has 3 latches that you will need to pry off to remove the cover. Make sure that those latches are actually tight and not loose where the propeller can hit them. Reverse to put it back together.

No you don't. Turn it off, remove the wet side- watch it the dry side will probably fall off, and if it does not take it off so it does not fall. Hold the wet side in the palm of your had, with the other hand turn the propeller housing counter clockwise. This should remove the cover. Pull the propeller off. The black plastic cover has 3 latches that you will need to pry off to remove the cover. Make sure that those latches are actually tight and not loose where the propeller can hit them. Reverse to put it back together.

Ah! Thank you. I was able to do this... 2 of the 3 latches popped off without much effort at all, the last one i needed to use my finger nail.

Re-assembled it, still sounds the same.

For now I've moved the MP10 to the opposite side of the tank (farther away from my desk). There's no mistaking it's on whatsoever, even at the lowest setting.

Ah! Thank you. I was able to do this... 2 of the 3 latches popped off without much effort at all, the last one i needed to use my finger nail.

Re-assembled it, still sounds the same.

For now I've moved the MP10 to the opposite side of the tank (farther away from my desk). There's no mistaking it's on whatsoever, even at the lowest setting.

Time to call Ecotech.

Not sure on the gauge..try tightening all the fittings, don't like the color of that liquid. May want to watch it, I know some of the gauges are filled with different liquids, not sure off the top of my head which liquids

Time to call Ecotech.

Not sure on the gauge..try tightening all the fittings, don't like the color of that liquid. May want to watch it, I know some of the gauges are filled with different liquids, not sure off the top of my head which liquids

It's brand new, this is its maiden voyage. The orange color seems to be from rust, which is quickly spreading. It says it's putting out 0 TDS so hopefully the water in my tank is fine.

I'll call BRS once they turn on their livechat for the day. (I like to do the live chats so I have written documentation of what the customer service people promise me.)

MP10's are not quiet like a Tunze pump.  Even when running nice you will hear them.  Mine is def the loudest component of my tank.  That said, I still like it a lot and wouldn't swap it out for anything else.

I'm sure Ecotech will help out if it's under warranty for sure.

MP10's are not quiet like a Tunze pump.  Even when running nice you will hear them.  Mine is def the loudest component of my tank.  That said, I still like it a lot and wouldn't swap it out for anything else.

I'm sure Ecotech will help out if it's under warranty for sure.

When my AC kicks in, I can almost not hear it on the lowest setting. But as soon as that AC drops out, it's super obvious again.

If I'm currently anywhere in the ballpark of "as good as it gets" then this thing will get sold/traded.

But of course I'll go through customer service first. Box says March 2014, so I still have warranty left.

Tunze's are really quiet. The Jebao pumps can be noisy too (not as loud as the vortechs though) when they are used on the wave and else modes. Good luck man. Sadly wavemakers typically are the loudest part of reef thanks these days. It is the only part of my tank that makes a sound.

I have a 10 and it's fairly silent only hear it when it spools up to full blast but not very loud. My Mp40's are a tad louder but not enough to bother me. My ato is extremely annoying on the other hand.

When my AC kicks in, I can almost not hear it on the lowest setting. But as soon as that AC drops out, it's super obvious again.

If I'm currently anywhere in the ballpark of "as good as it gets" then this thing will get sold/traded.

But of course I'll go through customer service first. Box says March 2014, so I still have warranty left.

For what it's worth, I had the exact same problem with my MP10 about 18 months ago. As other members have indicated, please disassemble the wet side to determine if nothing is loose. Once you reassemble put the MP10 on the lowest setting using the constant mode. Align the best you can, which ever is quietest...leave this for 48hrs. This was the advice that ecotech gave me and it worked perfectly!

• 2 weeks later...

OK. It hasn't been quite 2 weeks, but I'm still having noise issues. I disassembled and re-assembled the MP10 wet side many times, nothing seems to be loose or out of the ordinary.

I downloaded a decibel metering app for my iPhone to rule out psychological issues (i.e. in case I became more tolerant of the noise over time). The MP10 is maybe 2-3 decibels quieter, every reading fluctuates so I'm kind of just taking the average.

Condo level baseline noise: 36 dB

(For the MP10 tests I turned off the return pump.)

MP10, wetside attached, lowest power setting: 46 dB

MP10, wetside attached, highest power setting: 69 dB

MP10, dryside only, lowest power setting (held in hand): 44 dB

MP10 dryside only, highest power setting (held in hand): 67 dB

I thought the MP10 was appreciably louder with the wetside... Science proves me wrong, it seems. They're actually about the same volume, but the quality of the sound becomes different.

One thing I did realize until this week is how terribly loud my new Cobalt MJ1200 return pump is. Its volume was masked by a waterfall noise that I was able to fix with the purchase of a foam holder tray from inTank mediabaskets. As soon as the foam went in, I was horrified to learn how loud the return pump is.

I completely wrapped the pump in filter floss foam, used a soft silicon return tube (which is slightly quieter than the rigid tube)... this thing STILL clocks in at about 72 dB... It's a much lower pitch than the MP10 motor noise, but it's still annoying. I did lots of Googling, and everyone says the Cobalt brand MJ1200s  are wonderful and silent and only the Marineland MJs are noisy... but it's not the case for me. This is just a little quieter than the stock return pump. Also, using the suction cups doesn't help at all... the vibration seems to be inside of the pump itself, it's not caused by the pump touching the walls of tank.

Is this just really bad luck, or is this a princess and the pea situation, i.e. am I always going to be driven insane by my pump noise no matter what?

edit: 72db from the MJ1200 is when I hold it directly above the waterline in the third chamber. When I raise the phone up so it's about an inch above the top of the tank (but still hovering over the third chamber) the reading is about 62dB.

Edited by MrSexyShrimp

I mean I had tanks in my bedroom as a child (freshwater) and a saltwater nano literally next to my bed in my college dorm room, and this was never an issue. Don't people get deafer as they age? If anything I should be LESS bothered by tank noise!

I thought the mentality was If it's too loud, you're too old? My tank progressively becomes louder and louder as time progresses. If the living room is quiet, I'm worried....