New Neptune Gadget

TrueTricia

Eh, I normally like going for the new Neptune stuff but on this one i'm fine with my BRS dosers. Yeah, it may be better quality but no need to shell out $350 plus additional $$ for Neptune dosing containers (my thoughts anyway).

Neptune makes fantastic products and have excellent customer support. I expect this will be a big hit. I especially like how it automatically doses what your system needs and adjusts on its own. And the automatic water changing feature might be worth the cost of admission alone! Another product that brings us closer to full and easy system automation!

Is it 350??? I didn't see the price anywhere. It looks cool and I like the idea that Neptune is actively working on our hobby but when you can get a 4 pump doser for $100...(assuming the Jebao doser is any good)...

i saw it in person and in their talk/demo.  They gave a good demo of it and had a slide deck that included some of the bells and whistles.  It will be very configurable and you will be able to chart everything. It was quite and made well. They can be daisy chained with multiple units.  They will not be selling a single version or 3 dosing version at this time.  It should be available by the end of the year.

There will the two dosing containers with float sensors that can also let you know via the apex when the containers are getting low. 

They will also be introducing a new stream pump called "WAV".

Is it 350??? I didn't see the price anywhere. It looks cool and I like the idea that Neptune is actively working on our hobby but when you can get a 4 pump doser for $100...(assuming the Jebao doser is any good)...

Jebao and Neptune or Ecotech or any other high quality product don't belong in the same sentence.

There will always be people that don't have a lot of money to spend, and who buy cheap stuff, cheap pumps, lights, skimmers, etc.  And there will be those who can afford the higher quality products.  Most of the time the cheap stuff fails, or limits the tank potential. I doubt there has ever been a TOTM on RC that uses Jebao products, Evergrow lights, etc.  The irony is that two things you hear the most in the hobby are 1) [regret] I wish I had never wasted money on X product, because it cost more to get the higher quality one in the end; and 2) [advice] You get what you pay for, so buy the higher quality product up front.  Yet, you are absolutely correct, Jebao and equivalent products are as popular as ever. Oh well, what can you do.

In other news. I was daydreaming about my future "dream" setup, and it involved 2 of the new dosers ($700=ouch). However, with full automation, charts, control, it would allow for hands-free alk/calc dosing through the Apex, and automatic water changes 365 days a year. And I'd get alerts when I needed to refill the reservoirs, that's it. The amount of time I'd save might be worth that steep price tag. It's got a lot of potential, for sure. And remember, Jebao doesn't have the integration that the Neptune product does. That's also where the premium price comes from. Everything working together seemlessly.

I love my Apex. Setting up auto top offs has been a huge time saver (two tanks and a fresh water reservoir). The more automation the better! I love the idea/design of this new product but multiple modules at 350 each (if that is the price) may be too steep for me for awhile. I have also been daydreaming about auto water changes, lol.  

If you wanted to save money, and already have an Apex, I don't see why someone couldn't buy 2 BRS pumps and just have the apex turn them both on everyday, one from a fresh saltwater reservoir, and the other going to an empty container (or down a drain)... wouldn't that work for 365 day automatic water changes? And you'd save $200 over the new neptune unit...

I'm not entirely sold on that type of water change, one where water is flowing in at the same time as water is flowing out. I feel like removing old water then adding new water is better but I don't actually know which is better.

For the continuous/daily thing I wonder if you could just install an overflow pipe then maybe only use one feed pump? You'd still have to coordinate it with ATO...

There will always be people that don't have a lot of money to spend, and who buy cheap stuff, cheap pumps, lights, skimmers, etc.  And there will be those who can afford the higher quality products.

That's an unfortunate blanket statement. I am sure there are people, myself included, that can afford a Vortech/Radion but choose not to. Quite frankly, I have better things to spend my money on. Priorities are different for people and that's why we have options.

That's an unfortunate blanket statement. I am sure there are people, myself included, that can afford a Vortech/Radion but choose not to. Quite frankly, I have better things to spend my money on. Priorities are different for people and that's why we have options.

Nicely said. More money doesn't always mean better product. I had a successful reef for 4 years before I purchased an apex. Sure, it's neat to have, but it was a WANT and not a NEED.

This is an accurate statement.

Nicely said. More money doesn't always mean better product. I had a successful reef for 4 years before I purchased an apex. Sure, it's neat to have, but it was a WANT and not a NEED.

This is not an accurate statement :P JK.  Sure, money doesn't always mean a better product, but it does most of the time, right? (99%?)

This all started with a comment comparing Neptune with Jebao.  I'm just stating that this item will be popular with the same folks that would buy an Apex, Vortechs, or Radions.  It won't be popular with the folks who can't afford it, or have "better things to spend" their money on.  Those folks will buy the Jebao products.  Just as they'd buy Evergrow's instead of Radions.  But you can't compare an Evergrow to a Radion, or a Neptune product to a Jebao product, right?

This all started with a comment comparing Neptune with Jebao.  I'm just stating that this item will be popular with the same folks that would buy an Apex, Vortechs, or Radions.  It won't be popular with the folks who can't afford it, or have "better things to spend" their money on.  Those folks will buy the Jebao products.  Just as they'd buy Evergrow's instead of Radions.  But you can't compare an Evergrow to a Radion, or a Neptune product to a Jebao product, right?

I agree with you here. I know (or hoped) you meant something a bit different then what those sentences stated. I just don't like anybody new in this hobby to think that the most expensive (which is not necessarily the best) equipment will get you a nice reef or TOTM on RC. In fact, through my 1.5 years+ in this hobby, I have realized that a lot of the best tanks belong to people that are not on any forums and have no build thread and don't care what people think. Self gratification vs recognition.

Just to be clear-I wasn't suggesting that Jebao was the same quality as Neptune. I was just pointing out that if one thing is $700 for 4 dosers and another is $100 then some people might be more likely to buy the $100 item if it serves their purpose even if it isn't as good. I'd like to drive a Mercedes (or some fancy car-Lambo?) but I drive a Chevy.

The stepper motors alone are worth their weight in gold for this application. Unfortunately,I think that they are going to sell these for too much money. The price difference wholesale for a small stepper motor vs a small DC motor is only a few dollars. The head was not something that needed to be redesigned as masterflex heads are not expensive enough to warrant the tooling.

I guess I will have to wait and see the price.