xenia problems

Sharkb8

I recently purchased a chunk of liverock with a large growth of xenia on it. It was fine in my tank for about a week, then slowly started to deteriorate (almost imperceptably slow). I have 55g, about 60 lbs liverock, some green mushrooms (doing very well), and pulsing snowflakes type xenia (doing very well) and lots of crabs/snails. I have two white compact flourescents (55w each) and two 4' long blue actinics (not sure of wattage on those, probably about the same). I run a refugium, no skimmer, and an HOB mechanical filter. Lots of water movement with three powerheads in the tank in addition to the HOB refugium and filter that also generate flow. No cyano (but lots of green algea on the glass every week).

The xenia is growing thin and somewhat transparent and starting to come off the rocks. I did a 15% water change last week and have been dosing with Kent's purple all-purpose stuff every week. Other supplements I started using once I noticed trouble is strontium, Molybdenum and Iodide (necessary?). I don't dose calcium (no hard corals). I also began to spot feed the xenia with Kent's phytoplankton once per week. That seemed to help a little, but not sure if that is going to save it.

Any advice??

:huh:

Wow, whatever's killing your Xenia, I want some :)

Some tanks Xenia does great -- other tanks not so much. Can't quite figure out why.

Do you know if the xenia was recently imported or was it from someones tank? From what I understand that makes a huge difference in the survivability. If you are coming to the meeting I can scrape off a few stalks (would 15-20 be enough?) and you can try again. A little superglue and your all set.

BB

I feel terrible about the sad state of the xenia because it is from another guy's tank (someone who advertised here on the site because he was moving). It was very healthy when I stuck it in my tank. And it did well for about the first week or so. . . .

One stalk fell off and is lying on the bottom of the tank. I guess I should toss it. I was thinking maybe the serpent star would get it, but I guess not.

Trust me, and I'm sure others would agree with me. I have killed more unfortunate corals than I care to think about. (Not to mention the ones I have intentionally pulled out and tossed during "weeding" expeditions.) I actually just recently offed 3 SPS colonies with a recent tank malfunction. It happens. Not that you should be come jaded or not strive to keep everything that you acquire alive, but deah is unfortunately a part of reefkeeping.

I'm pretty much new to coral keeping also. I got some frags from Emissary and they are growing great. I never spot fed them or anything like that... just basic water changes.

So maybe I should do more water changes? What amount of change should I do for a 55g reef tank with about 60 lbs live rock for normal maintenance? 10% per week? 15 bi-weekly? 20% once per month? 2% per day?

So maybe I should do more water changes?  What amount of change should I do for a 55g reef tank with about 60 lbs live rock for normal maintenance?  10% per week?  15 bi-weekly?  20% once per month?  2% per day?

53951[/snapback]

I also have a 55gal but w/ 7.5gal fuge and turboflotor 1000 Multi skimmer and I do a 10 gal water change once a week....but same say this the the min and I should be doing 25% weekly

I also have a 55gal but w/ 7.5gal fuge and turboflotor 1000 Multi skimmer and I do a 10 gal water change once a week....but same say this the the min and I should be doing 25% weekly

54729[/snapback]

Wow, 25% weekly? That seems a bit extreme. So you have a skimmer AND 'fuge. I was thinking of doing the same but I got the impression from wetweb that it maybe wasn't necessary to have both.

Guest alex wlazlak

how comes you arent running a skimmer? ive got a seaclone 100 and it does somthing, not much, but it helps. id recomend atleast getting one like a seaclone or somthing.. if you got a sump, get an insump, like jonny said, hes now a deltec dealer!

No point in feeding DTs to xenia.... no mouth

54912[/snapback]

Thank you. Good to know. I will stop feeding DT's to it now (duh, wish I'd known that before). I am also searching for a good cheap HOB skimmer now too. Do mushrooms or zoos take DT's?

I have had my 55 gallon tank operational for over 18 years, and in the entire time, I had 6 months that Xenia prospered in my tank. Some kind of chemical warfare, no doubt. I was given some about 6 months ago and I have a little left, but it does not grow. Just something in the water.

No worries though. I have plenty of other stuff in my tank

85small_-_full_55.JPG

I had the opposite experience in my old reef a few years ago. It grew too fast! I'd bring clippings to meetings. I'd hold the large rock it was on over the toilet and snip snip. Go figure.

Mike

I am having the opposite effect in my 125G, Xenia and Anthelia are growing like mad, so fast that is irritating me and covering the entire landscape. Now on the 55G is the Xenia not surviving. The only difference between the two tanks are the lights, 125G -> MH 55G-> PC.

Guest Kimo

I have the xenia plague myself.

I believe that Xenia need

1.) High nutrients

2.) High lighting

Xenia grows like mad in my tank, I peeled off a huge patch last night and threw it in the trash.

Like others have said, it does well in some tanks and not well in others. IMO light is very important for Xenia. I had one bulb out in my tank for a while and the xenia on that side started to waste away like you are describing. Try moving it up in the tank, if you have any left.

I finally got it under control. All the Xenia and Anthelia I had in my 125G has been pilled or taken out for the exception of those pieces that I promised seantez and chillipy. I had to do it, it was making me crazy..

Does anyone have Xenia to give away? My friend is starting a nano tank and I'm starting a 150G tank at the office in Herndon and would love to have some.

Luan

I have silver Xenia and Capnella if you want it. FREE. Just tell your buddy to come over tonight. You guys know where I live. Just call me before coming oer to make sure I made it home before you guys.