I need help don't understand

morgan175

YOu can do all of these things and you might still have the problem. It looks as if these were all freshly cut frags and small ones at that. Tiny frags often do poorly.  Buy bigger frags of corals that aren't difficult to start with.

rob, the photos he shared are after he broke up the frags/mini-colonies up and looks like he glued them to ceramic plugs but is hard to tell in the photo. and only because it was mentioned one or two were acquired from ERC/myself i want to ensure you that i never sell freshly cut frags. all are encrusted and at least 1" if not mini-colony size. the other pieces i cannot speak about. 

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

rob, the photos he shared are after he broke up the frags/mini-colonies up and looks like he glued them to ceramic plugs but is hard to tell in the photo. and only because it was mentioned one or two were acquired from ERC/myself i want to ensure you that i never sell freshly cut frags. all are encrusted and at least 1" if not mini-colony size. the other pieces i cannot speak about.

I am not blaming you at all. Just wanted to state that the frag was taken care of before I got it.

At work now will post later rest of info.

Marco it was a beautiful piece before I got it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am not blaming you at all. Just wanted to state that the frag was taken care of before I got it.

At work now will post later rest of info.

Marco it was a beautiful piece before I got it.

i did not take it as such sir. no worries but did want to clarify on rob's point. thanks for the note, regardless.

you have some solid advice so far in this thread so i don't have too much to add. reading through your other posts it seems like there has been some variability sufficient to cause an event like you're experiencing. in the end with acropora, stability is key - from your lighting to flow to critical parameters. and even when all those are right, albeit rarely, you'll have an RTN or STN event that is what seems impossible to track down.

keep your head up, don't make any changes too quickly if you're changing something, ensure you're providing coral all it needs in stable proper chemistry and light, and be diligent. things will come around. if you have any questions in particular about my procedures just shoot me a PM and i'll be glad to help sir.

keep your head up, don't make any changes too quickly if you're changing something, ensure you're providing coral all it needs in stable proper chemistry and light, and be diligent. things will come around.

+1

Also..reading back..it looks like the OP dosed an X amount every other day. How much are you adding? You usually want to dose in small amounts. Depending on how much of a swing you got from your dose, that could be the reason.

Have you changed your bulbs lately?

Bulbs 8 months old. Both PC and halides.

Dose 2 tsps of the seachem alkalinity.

I do think this is one of my problems That is the dosing.

Bulbs 8 months old. Both PC and halides.

Dose 2 tsps of the seachem alkalinity.

I do think this is one of my problems That is the dosing.

Richard, read back to my post regarding dosing, just opinion, but I think your case is alk swings.

Alk is brutal. I just lost about 10 mini colonies to a alk swing that was on a doser. No clue how it happened but it did. I was able to salvage some frags from a few. Keep a close eye on alk. I'm watching mine daily trying to figure it out

how many gallons of water you have in your system?    Ever since i increased my amount of water I have far less problems.

(edited)

How old are your bulbs?

They are 8 months old

How long is your photoperiod?

Atinic 11 on. Halides 12. On 7 off. Atinic 8 off

What is the temperature range the tank runs at? 77.6 to 78.9

How long have you had the frags?

2 months

Is your coralline algae staying purple or is it also turning white?

The algae is purple

Post up a full tank shot.

Edited by morgan175

Richard, read back to my post regarding dosing, just opinion, but I think your case is alk swings.

My alk drops about .5 a day and calcium about 10. This is according to the tests I run. May be some human error. When on vacation for 8 days came home to alk from 9 to 7.2. Calcium was 440 when I left down to 400. May contain human error. I have been trying to keep calcium at 440 and all at 9. Chasing the number. What do you think.

How long did you track those consumption rates? Do you ever test again after you dose?

My alk drops about .5 a day and calcium about 10. This is according to the tests I run. May be some human error. When on vacation for 8 days came home to alk from 9 to 7.2. Calcium was 440 when I left down to 400. May contain human error. I have been trying to keep calcium at 440 and all at 9. Chasing the number. What do you think.

So you said earlier you dosed every other day. That means you were raising your Alk 1 dkh each dose? That's not a huge swing. I've done that w/ no issues. There goes that theory assuming no human error in calculating your dose.

So you said earlier you dosed every other day. That means you were raising your Alk 1 dkh each dose? That's not a huge swing. I've done that w/ no issues. There goes that theory assuming no human error in calculating your dose.

He said he didn't test immediately after. 1dkh in a matter of 5 min vs 1dkh in 20 hours could be a problem. Another thing is imagine dumping food coloring in a tank. It swirls around in huge concentrations until finally mixed, slamming into SPS in giant clouds shocking them. This is why I'm such a fan of the drip dosers. Super slow and steady wins the race here with sps. My alk number I have chased is now rock steady even on while on vacation and the results are awesome. I do think that the other theory's are very valid. I run my tank at 79 in summer no problem mon!

He said he didn't test immediately after. 1dkh in a matter of 5 min vs 1dkh in 20 hours could be a problem. Another thing is imagine dumping food coloring in a tank. It swirls around in huge concentrations until finally mixed, slamming into SPS in giant clouds shocking them. This is why I'm such a fan of the drip dosers. Super slow and steady wins the race here with sps. My alk number I have chased is now rock steady even on while on vacation and the results are awesome. I do think that the other theory's are very valid. I run my tank at 79 in summer no problem mon!

When I went through raising my Alk to my desired level before starting my doser to maintain, I did 1 dkh in a matter of 1 second (1 dump) using baking soda. I don't think 1 dkh is a problem based on my own experience only.

how many gallons of water you have in your system?    Ever since i increased my amount of water I have far less problems.

connect it to the swimming pool and you'll be fine.

When I went through raising my Alk to my desired level before starting my doser to maintain, I did 1 dkh in a matter of 1 second (1 dump) using baking soda. I don't think 1 dkh is a problem based on my own experience only.

That would be quite a shock to many of the more delicate SPS. In a given week, alkalinity should only fluctuate 1/3 of a dkh in a "stable" system.