Anyone successfully keep a starfish?

miggs76

Just like the title says.  Has anyone on the forum successfully kept a linkia or fromia for a few years?  If so, how long have you had it?  

You might be waiting forever if you want someone that has kept one for years...hopefully someone can prove me wrong. :)

Here's mine that I just took a photo of:

14938335105_cd49e27e0e_z.jpg

It's a 3-1/2 legged fromia sea star and it's been in my tank for a bit over 9 months. It started to get an injured leg about 2 months in and kept that way for a long time until recently when it completely lost that injured leg as well as half of another. Through all of this, it's been roaming around the tank like it's nobody's business and probably has no clue of it's current state. I keep waiting for it to wither away but it doesn't. In fact, it may be growing some of it's body back.

IMO, a sea star is always a risk. A fromia is supposedly hardier than a linkia. I'd say if you want one, get one and hope for the best. It's such a cool specimen to have in your tank.

Thanks for the response. Id love to have one but would not risk it. They are awesome looking creatures.

My fromia was really cool, but really only lived for about 6 months or so in my tank. The "legs" started rotting off, and the scales just started to fall off until I pulled the thing and flushed it. I actually want another one, but am pretty sure the same thing will happen again.

I think fromias are much more delicate than linkias...

I've not been able to keep a fromia for longer than a few months...they start disintegrating with the first sign of nitrates...

You might be waiting forever if you want someone that has kept one for years...hopefully someone can prove me wrong. :)

I've had my blue linckia for 2 years now

Ding ding ding!! Any secrets?

Can someone tell me what type of Starfish mine is ?

Star

I have had it for about 6 months now.  Doing great and wonders around the thank more often than I thought it would.

Edited by mling

Can someone tell me what type of Starfish mine is ?

I have had it for about 6 months now. Doing great and wonders around the thank more often than I thought it would.

Looks like an orange ridged star. Common in the Atlantic. Usually have them in stock since they are so hardy.

Apparently no one knows what linkias eat but it has been documented that linkias eat Astrea stars. People tend to see a direct circulation with linkia lifespan and the amount of Astrea stars they have in their tank.

Astrea stars are the little whiteish ones that eat coraline algae -right? If so I have a million of them, I was told to get rid of them if you want coraline algae. They move over it, eat it and it turns white.

Ding ding ding!! Any secrets?

It has never been out of the water through 3 tank moves and I drip acclimated it for 3 hours when I got it.  I just checked the receipt and I bought it on 1/30/2012, so it's closer to 3 years.  I do have asterina stars.  It likes to hang out wherever there is film algae, such behind the top rim of the tank.

Don't worry about it in a year or two your coraline will be a nuisance

It is on the glass and the returns. but I like it on the rocks.

It has never been out of the water through 3 tank moves and I drip acclimated it for 3 hours when I got it.  I just checked the receipt and I bought it on 1/30/2012, so it's closer to 3 years.  I do have asterina stars.  It likes to hang out wherever there is film algae, such behind the top rim of the tank.

That's a pretty extensive drip...I don't think I've ever spent 3 consecutive hrs doing anything w/ my tank... :tongue:

My star has been out of water during some earlier water changes when it was residing at the top of the tank. I have heard that being out of water is not as bad as most think but if it can be avoided, that would be better.

I just don't think we can ever know why some sea stars last longer than others.

I'd still get it even knowing what I know.

I believe when I was researching them at one point I saw that one color is supposed to be particularly hardy, but unfortunately I don't remember what that is.  May make it easier to google though...

This article says the blue ones are easier.

I believe when I was researching them at one point I saw that one color is supposed to be particularly hardy, but unfortunately I don't remember what that is.  May make it easier to google though...

In my tank in Chicago I had a Fromia monilis (I think) that I collected myself in Hawaii. I had it for several years. For me, the secret to keeping them is appropriate acclimation and constant tank parameters. The acclimation has to be solid from start to finish, meaning if the acclimation you cannot control - collector, shipper, wholesaler - is not done properly then you probably won't have it survive for more than a year tops. Shipping conditions play a huge role in their survival so it is almost always a crap shoot.