Comparison - Radium 250/400 - Cozumel Sun / Lumenbright Large / Lumenmax Elite

gws3

This is a timely post! I was just building my frame for my 4 Lumenarcs that I plan on running 250w 20K radiums. I was looking at the small space in between them and trying to figure out if I should add LED strips (what kind- reefbrite it sounds like) or T5 strips with LEDs. Is the t5 really just more of the same light, or would it help? I was looking at the VHO option as well.  I plan on having a lot of fish (50+/-) so the fish color and motion are very important to me.  thx

I used to run 250w radiums or phoenix 14k with super actinic VHOs.  Actinic VHOs consume a lot of power, don't last very long, don't output a lot of light, but do look great.  At one point, about 4-5 years ago, I tried upgrading the actinic supplementation to T5s.  I tried one or two bulbs, but wasn't happy with how they looked, so I went back to the VHOs.  About 3 years ago I went to the reefbrites.  As far as output and making things pop they blow away the VHOs and T5s.  It's certainly not the most natural looking color, and I actualy think the VHOs are slightly more appealing, but for the much higher efficiency, output and never having to replace bulbs the LEDs are a clear winner. 

I'm sure there are some nice T5 bulbs out there, and I don't have much experience with them, so I'm not saying that's not an option, but I'll stick with LEDs for actinic supplementation.  Never replacing bulbs is very appealing.

VHOs don't add much on top of the radiums, which already have good actinic output.  It's much easier to tell the reefbrites are on when the MHs are vs with the VHOs it was a very small change.

The LEDs make certain colors pop more than others.  I'd have be looking at the tanks to tell you which.  The purple tail on a flame angel will look amazing for instance.  SPS get some pop from them, and Z/Ps look absolutely crazy under just the reefbrites.

Hopefully that helps.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All my tanks except the 300 have 250w radiums with reefbrite blue strips.  I'll add one to the 300 eventually, have just been trying to moderate my reef spending.

They add a nice pop of color on top of the radiums.  Also, I run the radiums for about 7 hours, so I have a few hours of just actinic led on either end which is nice to have an extended viewing period despite being the pure acitinic look. 

Would you add a 72" Actinic Blue to the 300g DD?  And put it at the front of the tank?

I used to run 250w radiums or phoenix 14k with super actinic VHOs.  Actinic VHOs consume a lot of power, don't last very long, don't output a lot of light, but do look great.  At one point, about 4-5 years ago, I tried upgrading the actinic supplementation to T5s.  I tried one or two bulbs, but wasn't happy with how they looked, so I went back to the VHOs.  About 3 years ago I went to the reefbrites.  As far as output and making things pop they blow away the VHOs and T5s.  It's certainly not the most natural looking color, and I actualy think the VHOs are slightly more appealing, but for the much higher efficiency, output and never having to replace bulbs the LEDs are a clear winner. 

I'm sure there are some nice T5 bulbs out there, and I don't have much experience with them, so I'm not saying that's not an option, but I'll stick with LEDs for actinic supplementation.  Never replacing bulbs is very appealing.

VHOs don't add much on top of the radiums, which already have good actinic output.  It's much easier to tell the reefbrites are on when the MHs are vs with the VHOs it was a very small change.

The LEDs make certain colors pop more than others.  I'd have be looking at the tanks to tell you which.  The purple tail on a flame angel will look amazing for instance.  SPS get some pop from them, and Z/Ps look absolutely crazy under just the reefbrites.

Hopefully that helps.

Great input! Is sound like the Reef Brite might be a way to go. After setting up my frame for the MH lights I have a little space in between each fixture. So I am debating on adding one 24" Reef Brite (or T5 or VHO or other LED) in between each fixture. 

The reefbrites are nice but I recently switched to a strip with 3 times the LEDs that comes with a complete controller and is half the price. I am happy with it so far and it puts out a lot more light for sure. One reefbrite was not really much of a difference but one of the new strips I got is almost too much for me. But I like that because now I can run more white t5's :)

The reefbrites are nice but I recently switched to a strip with 3 times the LEDs that comes with a complete controller and is half the price. I am happy with it so far and it puts out a lot more light for sure. One reefbrite was not really much of a difference but one of the new strips I got is almost too much for me. But I like that because now I can run more white t5's :)

Ok Paul, don't hold out! What are the lights?

Come on paul. I was getting reefbrites soon also. But not wanting to pay 350 for one. I got 14000 possibilities on ebay. Can you narrow it down just a bit. Lol

Here is the site, controller is full dusk to dawn mode and even has storms. These are cheap but mine are actually made fairly well, but only time will tell.

http://www.21ledusa.com/category_s/1837.htm

My major complaint with RB is that they aren't easily dimmable. I'm using the cheaper non pro version of the 21LEDUSA Reefbar. I might switch to the pro version at some point even though my SPS seem quite happy. No shimmer with the non pro since there are so many LEDs with no lenses. A good and bad thing.

The controller is the exact same controller offered by Current USA. You can check out the manual online. It's a decent 2 channel light controller.

--

Warren

My major complaint with RB is that they aren't easily dimmable.

there is the in-line dimmer that can be used to adjust intensity for a very affordable option and then there are the controllers that are more feature rich if needed with use of the ReefBrites.

there is the in-line dimmer that can be used to adjust intensity for a very affordable option and then there are the controllers that are more feature rich if needed with use of the ReefBrites.

Must be a change then. When I was researching they either weren't dimmable or you had to use their controller.

--

Warren

• 2 weeks later...

Would you add a 72" Actinic Blue to the 300g DD?  And put it at the front of the tank?

I'll add a 60" XHO blue eventually.  No need for the extra 6" at each end in my opinion... too much light spill.  I typically mount them to the front of the reflectors point down and towards the center of the tank.

Great input! Is sound like the Reef Brite might be a way to go. After setting up my frame for the MH lights I have a little space in between each fixture. So I am debating on adding one 24" Reef Brite (or T5 or VHO or other LED) in between each fixture. 

The only thing about the samller reefbrites is that two cost much more then one that is twice as large.  Look at the number of LEDs in each strip and decide which is best for you.  Of course I have 2x 15" XHO above my 70 and 2x 30" XHO above the 150 stock tank... so I am not adhering to my own adive here... of course I have an OCD thing with symmetry... so that may have influenced by decision.

Here is the site, controller is full dusk to dawn mode and even has storms. These are cheap but mine are actually made fairly well, but only time will tell.

http://www.21ledusa.com/category_s/1837.htm

Those prices sure are appealing compared to RBs.  Wish they had a 5' for my 300, I'd strongly consider it over a RB.  I've always though RBs seemed expensive for what they are, considering they aren't Cree LEDs.  But at the time they were the best option.

These strips are pretty nice. I am running almost ALL white bulbs and the one strip makes my tank look bluer than two reefbrites would. There bridgelux LEDs in these fixtures. The par they say it puts out is spot on too. I get 120 more par with it on. Can't wait to get a new t5 fixture and run two of them on either side, that way I can run them lower and hopefully they will last longer.