Thinking about ATO and Auto fish feeder

Keraxis

So we have a week long trip and i had a horrible experience with my last pet sitter so I want an ATO and an auto feeder.  I like the JBJ ATO but I have no clue what feeder to get.  Any thoughts about either.  What are you guys running and whats horrible.

I have three ATO's, and my fav most worry free SILENT is the avast I have on my 60g.  It's been set up for a full year, and hasn't failed me yet.  Which reminds me, I need to clean it one of these days..... :blink: :blink:

I also hava a tunze nano and a tunze 3155 (on a 75g planted), which have been set up for 6 months now.  The nano failed when a snail blocked the sensor, didn't overflow, instead it just stopped adding water. 

If you have a sump, go with a Avast ATO, you won't be sorry.

Edited by londonloco

I don't have a sump also and use Avast. I don't think londonloco was saying that you have to have a sump to use the Avast. When you don't have a sump, you want minimal encroachment of equipment and larger fluctuations in water because of water movement in the DT by your power heads. The Avast is a pressure sensor and it works great. You don't want to use floats because they can take up space and the threat of snails on the floats can be costly. For a DT, you want to do pressure sensor or optical.

I have a JBJ. For the most part, it's helpful. Sometimes it decides to be wonky and it just wont pump. I've never had it overflow. Even if it does by chance happen, my top-off is a five gallon bucket, and my sump can take the whole 5 gallons plus back flow from my overflows. Lot of good reviews on the Avast ATO's, not just this thread, but all over.

For ATO, I use Avast. I used to use an autotopoff.com system for many years (to the point where I had to replace a float switch once or twice when they failed).

For an autofeeder, I use an Eheim 3581. When using an autofeeder to dispense pellets, it's helpful to use a feeding ring or some other means of keeping the pellets / flake in place to allow it time to sink. Otherwise, the food can head straight for the overflows and be lost.

www.autotopoff.com

No problems for 9 years, float guards available.  I do use a sump, but also designed for display tank use.  Many options available from autotopoff.

+1...two years without issue for me. I have the double for redundancy

Ive also heard good things about autotopoff.  I guess its them or avast now.  Thank you all for your inputs

I used the ato.com for a couple years and it was flawless especially with the RKE to prevent issues. I've had bad experiences with auto feeders and flakes & pellets, always overfeed. Now I just put out little containers with food and try to get someone to swing by and dump in.

Edited by Spelter

I dont have anyone that can feed them everyday.  The auto feeder will only be used while I am away.  I saw one that has 1 week worth of spots and it just rotates and drops the one slot in.  That may work well for what I need.  

For ATO, I use Avast. I used to use an autotopoff.com system for many years (to the point where I had to replace a float switch once or twice when they failed).

For an autofeeder, I use an Eheim 3581. When using an autofeeder to dispense pellets, it's helpful to use a feeding ring or some other means of keeping the pellets / flake in place to allow it time to sink. Otherwise, the food can head straight for the overflows and be lost.

+1 I'm currently having that problem

I dont have anyone that can feed them everyday. The auto feeder will only be used while I am away. I saw one that has 1 week worth of spots and it just rotates and drops the one slot in. That may work well for what I need.

When is your trip? I have an enheim auto feeder you can borrow. I just need it back for Labor Day.

October.  Taking my little girl to disney world for her 5th birthday.  We are going to tell her the night before we leave.  We are also having lunch with one of the princesses while we are there.  I might take you up on that offer for the feeder

Ohhh! Which park? I ♡ Disney!

Just let me know if you need to borrow it.

October. Taking my little girl to disney world for her 5th birthday. We are going to tell her the night before we leave. We are also having lunch with one of the princesses while we are there. I might take you up on that offer for the feeder

Magic kingdom, Universal and seaworld.  Universal if for me.... i want to see the Harry Potter exhibit. 

Magic kingdom, Universal and seaworld.  Universal if for me.... i want to see the Harry Potter exhibit. 

I haven't been to Universal since that opened.  Magic Kingdom is awesome.  Make sure to go on the Pirates of the Carribean ride and marvel at the amazing franchise that they got out of such a cheesy thing.  And I used to be a dolphin trainer.  I have a lot of friends at Seaworld.  Don't believe the hype.  Blackfish was a propaganda film, not a documentary.  Seaworld does amazing things both for its marine mammals and for rescue programs. 

I haven't been to Universal since that opened.  Magic Kingdom is awesome.  Make sure to go on the Pirates of the Carribean ride and marvel at the amazing franchise that they got out of such a cheesy thing.  And I used to be a dolphin trainer.  I have a lot of friends at Seaworld.  Don't believe the hype.  Blackfish was a propaganda film, not a documentary.  Seaworld does amazing things both for its marine mammals and for rescue programs. 

I dont beleive most of the rubish put out by peta or green peace.  Peta uthinizes more animals a year then any other group (their trucks actually have the equipment on them for a mobile killing) green peace is listed as a terrorist group.