looking for a super quiet sump

fphipps

so I have a 40 breeder tank in my room that I am making into a frag tank. I had originally planned to do HOB skimmer and filters and such. I ran into the issue of surface skimming today. So I decided I could put a 20 long sump in the bottom and still use my hob skimmer some how. Now I need to figure out how to get my overflow quieter than my display. I have pipe stands in my display as it is drilled. For the 40 breeder, I have a CPR overflow that I used on my 75 gallon previously. Any ideas of build threads on how to make it super quiet, it is in my bedroom where I need to sleep every night.

Thanks!

Fred

I am yet to confirm the Bean animal, as my tank is not set up, but from the 100's of post's I have read, it is supposed to be dead silent and impossible to fail. I will be running a bean animal on my new tank as it seems like the best option for safe and silent overflow systems.

(edited)

BowieReefer hit the nail on the head.  I run my system with a BeanAnimal overflow and now I'm never going back.  It's brilliant!  On top of that, no micro bubbles in the sump= SO much less salt creep.  My set up here: http://wamas.org/forums/topic/57917-sam-and-his-moms-57g-rimless/

Explenation of BeanAnimal overflow: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=1310585  Note, I just have two pipes.  IMO you don't need three, and you don't need to fiddle with airline if you adjust flow through that pipe to be slow enough.  If you'd like to swing by and check out my set up sometime, let me know.

Edited by L8 2 RISE

• 1 month later...

Bean Animal - one siphon drain, one non-siphon drain with absolutely minimal overflow, and one emergency drain capable of handling it all but should be air only unless your siphon drain gets clogged

Herbie - predates Bean Animal. Uses only the siphon drain, and non-siphon drain with minimal overflow. The non-siphon drain is also the emergency drain and should be able to handle all system overflow if the siphon drain gets clogged

For how to set these up use Google. There are some dedicated websites

by siphon drain you mean water to water? so i have 3 holes and an over flow do you want 2 to go down into trhe water one to be short of the water,? ok but why have the short one? just asking ill do what you say of course

sump For wamus

by siphon drain you mean water to water? so i have 3 holes and an over flow do you want 2 to go down into trhe water one to be short of the water,? ok but why have the short one? just asking ill do what you say of course

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=1310585

Here is a video of what everyone means by "Bean Animal."  Ignore the rodi line, as I had just filled up the tank...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/60938236@N07/8028254554/

Picture of overflow box (3 pipes of varying heights)

7933909912_3b18dc7f1d.jpg20120904_210826 by mteske1, on Flickr

Sump shot

7933911414_6240ce650e.jpg20120904_210221 by mteske1, on Flickr

The shortest drain will be a full siphon with the gate valve.  The next one will take just a VERY small amount of water.  The third should not be wet, and is simply a backup if the others get clogged as a safety factor.

Edited by BowieReefer84

got it thanks, i would kill myself before agreeing to a siphon, how many times have i found baby 2 month old seahorses on the floor? 3 x with reduced waterflow disasters please look at my photo of the end of the tank the pipes will  go into and under the water and 3 valves i will tune it so the collection water will  be 6 inches deep then water to water , will it work ? i don't know yet this is the first time i have tried it but water to water does not have to be siphon?

Draining water from a display to water in a sump does not mean siphon. Siphon means no air is in the line and so water is sucked down silently. Siphon = silent.

Dig deeper on bean animal drain....we're not talking about siphoning your whole display....just the volume above the siphon tube opening in an overflow area like an overflow box.

Also see http://www.beananimal.com/projects/silent-and-fail-safe-aquarium-overflow-system.aspx

+1 bean animal has the most safety then any other overflow. You control how much water could potentially drain by the height of the standpipes. I think matt's definition of siphon is lacking but there's no more risk here than a durso or herbie style overflow with what you've insinuated.