Jebao WP-40 died

flooddc

Well,

My wp-40 just died on me. It's about a year old. I supposed warranty is out of the question (I think warranty is only 6 months). Has any one attempted to fix one yet?

I tested it to make sure it not the controller by plugged it into another wp-40 controller.

Most companies sell pretty straight forward rebuild kits for their units.  Its Chinese so it maybe something simple.  They cut corners on strange things like a resister to save 1 cent but actually might have a strong motor.  The resister of course blows and the unit dies and people bad mouth them.  Just something ive seen in the electronics industry.  If you live near me i might be willing to take it apart and see whats going on but i doubt ill be able to find prints in English.  

(edited)

who did you purchase it from? if ERC, shoot richard and i a pm and we'll be glad to help. we stand behind what we sell and warranty our jebao goodies up to a year.

Edited by monkiboy

Most companies sell pretty straight forward rebuild kits for their units.  Its Chinese so it maybe something simple.  They cut corners on strange things like a resister to save 1 cent but actually might have a strong motor.  The resister of course blows and the unit dies and people bad mouth them.  Just something ive seen in the electronics industry.  If you live near me i might be willing to take it apart and see whats going on but i doubt ill be able to find prints in English.

The motor is sealed. So won't be able to take it apart.

who did you purchase it from? if ERC, shoot richard and i a pm and we'll be glad to help. we stand behind what we sell and warranty our jebao goodies up to a year.

Thanks guys!

I bought 1 wp-40 from fish street and another from ERC. Unfortunate for me, the one that died come from Fish Street. Hopefully, this is one of a few out of a batch.

I had two from Fish Street die after about 15 months or so of use. A quick diagnosis showed that the pump's motor block failed (the controller and power supplies were fine). Fish-Street shipped me two new blocks/controllers for $22.50 each (that's through shipping from Hong Kong). Here's my post.

I had two from Fish Street die after about 15 months or so of use. A quick diagnosis showed that the pump's motor block failed (the controller and power supplies were fine). Fish-Street shipped me two new blocks/controllers for $22.50 each (that's through shipping from Hong Kong). Here's my post.

I contacted Fish Street yesterday and they told me $25 for one motor and $45 for 2 motors. So I requested only one. 

$25 a year+ on a pump is not too bad. Only problem is waiting 1-2 weeks for shipping...hmm! should have order extra motor block as backup. 

I contacted Fish Street yesterday and they told me $25 for one motor and $45 for 2 motors. So I requested only one. 

$25 a year+ on a pump is not too bad. Only problem is waiting 1-2 weeks for shipping...hmm! should have order extra motor block as backup. 

I purchased backup WP40's from ERC some time back, so when these had trouble, I just swapped them out. You're right, $25 is not bad for a year's operation - provided that the failure itself doesn't have huge consequences.

The motor is sealed. So won't be able to take it apart.

Thanks guys!

I bought 1 wp-40 from fish street and another from ERC. Unfortunate for me, the one that died come from Fish Street. Hopefully, this is one of a few out of a batch.

Everything comes apart...... :hammer: with the proper TLC

I have noticed that there is buildup on the impeller shaft and it puts a lot of strain on the motor. I wonder if that is burning the motor up. 

Chuck, Let me know if you need to borrow a pump for a few days.

I have noticed that there is buildup on the impeller shaft and it puts a lot of strain on the motor. I wonder if that is burning the motor up. 

Could be. Try cleaning yours before assuming it's dead. Maybe it's not.

Could be!

I gave mine a good vinegar last month and flow was much stronger and then all the sudden...it went kaput..

Chuck, Let me know if you need to borrow a pump for a few days.

Thanks Ron! I am fine...still have one WP-40 running on one end and a good old Aqueon 950  :laugh: !

Could be. Try cleaning yours before assuming it's dead. Maybe it's not.

I checked mine thoroughly and clean it again to make sure it's really dead! 

Got my replacement motor today. Finally get more flow back into the tank!

One problem though! My original one came with a 9' long wire. All newer version is only 6' long. I have to move my controller to the other side of the tank! 

Got my replacement motor today. Finally get more flow back into the tank!

One problem though! My original one came with a 9' long wire. All newer version is only 6' long. I have to move my controller to the other side of the tank!

That's good your back in business, That stinks about the new cables

Shorter cord equals less heat draw from resistance.... doubt 3 feet would be noticable though.  This may help.  Its made for major appliances which sometimes have short cords.

http://www.sears.com/power-zone-or681503-major-appliance-extension-cord-3'/p-SPM11230427819?prdNo=4&blockNo=4&blockType=G4