What the heck is this

morgan175

It was in with my Chaeto in my sump. This is the fourth one I have found. I have been looking all over internet and found nothing. Close would be pink cotton candy I believe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's not just a clump of hair algae?

I don't think so. I have never seen this before it's like a jelly filled ball. It is interesting.

I have had a similar substance in my chaeto when I had poor circulation in my refugium.  It was mixed in with my chaeto and there were clumps of it on the surface as well as the sides of the refugium.  To me, this looks like there's hair algae mixed in with the clear gelatinous substance.  I had some that looked like that as well.  I manually removed what I could find, increased the circulation in my refugium, and then it went away.

Here's are some chains from another clubs/sites that suggest it's a bacterial bloom:

Search for "clear slime in refugium" or "clear slime in sump."  Hope this helps!

I have had a similar substance in my chaeto when I had poor circulation in my refugium. It was mixed in with my chaeto and there were clumps of it on the surface as well as the sides of the refugium. To me, this looks like there's hair algae mixed in with the clear gelatinous substance. I had some that looked like that as well. I manually removed what I could find, increased the circulation in my refugium, and then it went away.

Here's are some chains from another clubs/sites that suggest it's a bacterial bloom:

Search for "clear slime in refugium" or "clear slime in sump." Hope this helps!

Thank you. Still not sure. My filter docks are clean but I will do what you suggested.

(edited)

Are you dosing carbon? It happens quite a bit on my algae scrubber and I believe is excessive bacteria mixed with a bit of algae. i dose a bit of vodka.

Edited by Supernova26