camelcruisers 250dd

I finally have a new tank! It's been a few months since I have had one running so I'm pretty excited. It's going to be a 250DD. I guess I'll start with the equipment.

Lighting: 4 ecotech g3 pro's

Powerheads: 3 Mp40's I might add another I guess it depends on how well the 3 work

Return pump: DC 12000

Skimmer: Reef octopus diablo dc300

newtank005_zpsc3ac6caa.jpg

Rock: custom made cerameco piece probably will be adding another piece also.

newtank001_zpsd1ddb5ba.jpg

So I have been collecting equipment over the past few months waiting on my tank to be built that did'nt happen so I got my money back from the builder and went by Quantum and within 3 days the tank was sitting at my house.  Those guys are great most of my equipment has come from them so I guess it's fitting that the tank did to. I'm going to go barebottom for a little while since we plan on moving around the end of the fall and I want to make that as easy as possible....I might not be adding much coral until then, I guess it just depends on how impulsive I feel like being. This tank will be sps only.....well I say that but I really miss my carpet nem which died along with EVERYTHING else I planned on keeping in a heater malfunction on the coldest day of the year while I had everything in a holding tank.

Looks like you're off to a good start. Look forward to watching it grow. Although, if you plan on moving, I would take it light (And I say that but I also plan on moving, and I didn't follow my own advice!) It sounds like you have some time to start cycling with the Berlin Method that Tony Vargas covers in his book The Coral Reef Aquarium. I was able to make it 65 days, but I still feel like that was to my benefit, as the tank "cycled" long before that.

On pg. 57:

Before the cycling process can commence, the aquarist must decide how to do it. Cycling can be handle by using the display tank to cycle/cure the rock or by curing it in a separate container. Both methods will effectively establish the nitrification process, preparing the rock/aquarium to support inhabitants. For best results it is advisable to run your circulation pump, protein skimmer, and activated carbon, ad to keep the lights off during this process. If you use the display tank to cure your rocks, replace half of the water with fresh seawater or synthetic seawater once the cycle is completed. Generally this process will take four to six weeks, and the odor can be kept under control with activated carbon.

Many different types of micro- and macro-fauna reside in live rock. These organisms should be given the opportunity to develop without the addition of fish, corals, or light, as they help with the natural balance of the aquarium. Stock the aquarium gradually. This gives the beneficial bacteria time to keep up with the additional bio-load and it gives the overall system time to adapt. Follow the 90 days or more rule, which allows the aquarium to create a natural balance within 90 to 180 days. Allowing these organisms to prosper will also assist with nutrient control. This process is often difficult with new or enthusiastic hobbyist.

Thanks for the info man it's been about 7 years since I have had to start from scratch with a full cycle and yea I plan on taking it slow....I say that with two bottles of Dr. Tims next to me. I do plan on using those just to speed the initial cycle up probably won't add anything for quite a while. I am planning on only adding a few fully quarantined fish though maybe keeping it to around 10-12. I think it's been hard in the past to get the growth and coloration I want in my sps with my overcrowded tanks. My 180 had over 30 fish and it was hard to keep them fully happy as well as the coral.

Looks like a great start. That cerameco piece is sweet. 

I start my 250 from scratch. NO live sand or rock. I used the cocktail shrimp method followed by the drop a tree on the house method.  (moving out for 4 months meant the cycle was really finished.)   The cocktail shrimp worked really well. 

Thanks for the input I think I'm going to go that route and add the Dr. Tims then let it sit for awhile. I'm thinking of filling it now to the overflows then plumbing it in when my sump is done in a couple weeks. The sump is going to be made from aquabox it should be really nice. I'll see if I can get the 3d model of it.

Looks like you got some sweet equipment and off to a good start! Following along.

Could get some of the live sand from Marine Scene.  I think they get it from the gulf weekly.  They will scoop you out a bunch of it.  It was full of life when I added it to mine, worms, stars, pods, mysis, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

The sump is here to and man do I love it Quantum really helped me out with this one and worked out all the details with aquaboxx now hopefully I'm a few days away from water!!

newtank017_zps1dc6a79d.jpg

The two compartments in the front are my dosing containers and the smaller one in the back is the ATO compartment that spans the whole back of the sump so its about 4 inches by 4 feet.

newtank023_zps90617620.jpg

Filter sock holders with my drains.

newtank021_zpse720c189.jpg

(edited)

I know I did'nt put any pics of the tank up because it was empty! Here's one with atleast a rock in it.

newtank019_zps370abbda.jpg

Man we can't fill it until we put some tint on that back glass. Are you going to use the new color PVC from BRS? Edited by DCReefer1964

That's such a clean look for a sump. Really nice.

Sent from my LG G-Pad 8.3 Google Play Edition

My sump is jealous if your sump.

Man we can't fill it until we put some tint on that back glass. Are you going to use the new color PVC from BRS?

Yea I was going to but I think I'm just going to go with vinyl for now since we're planning on moving in the fall if we can sell the house. As far as the tint I was thinking maybe plastic dip spray can. I'm not sure though I just hate messing with tint because it has to be perfect or it looks bad.