Water Test Kits

JR-Tanked150

I need to buy some more water testing kits. I was wonder what everyone was using and the most accurate (and easy to use). I have been using the API tests in the past, and need to get some more Calcium and ALK tests. I have been looking at the Red Sea brand.

Also do you need to test for Iodine, Potassium and Iron?

Only thing I use API for is alkalinity.  Calc and Mg I like either the salifert or Red Sea kits.  I have occasionally tested for Potassium using the salifert kit.

I use Hanna for alk and phosphorous, salifert for calc and mag, API for et else

For alkalinity, I use my Hanna meter and API for quick tests. I also keep a Salifert on the shelf.

I test calcium with Salifert and API.

For Magnesium, I used to use Seachem, but now use both Salifert and Red Sea Pro.

Umm, I have never checked my magnesium before. I guess I need to look into getting one of thoses as well.

Don't know much about Hanna meters. Are they easy to use?

The good thing about the Red Sea, other than their comparative ease of use, is the fact that you get those "sets" which are cheaper than buying three tests separately and you can buy refills, which also makes them cheaper. These by far are my preference, as they seem to be the easiest to read.

I just picked up the Red Sea Pro ones and I'm liking them for alkalinity and calcium. I still prefer my Salifert for Magnesium though. The RS one is nice, but it tells you to shake between every single drop. That drives me bonkers.

I was just debating myself what to do for nitrate. I used to use API, but I wanted to try something different to see if it really is correct. My levels were always 0...

So does anyone test for Iodine, Potassium and Iron?

I would say most do not. Unless you find a reason for dosing these things. Most should not have to with regular water changes with a quality salt.

I just picked up the Red Sea Pro and love it compared to the Salifert test kits, especially Calcium. Note MG is kinda a pain. There are more fluids and stirring than the CA and Alk test.

I still prefer my Salifert for Magnesium though. The RS one is nice, but it tells you to shake between every single drop. That drives me bonkers.

While it tells you to shake between every drop, you really don't have to. When using the RS Pro for magnesium, I swirl while putting the bulk of my reagent in to get close to what I expect is my reading. I then titrate drop by drop until the color change.