Spathulata Acros

taiscici

So my new addiction is Aussie Acropora Spathulata.  I've tried to google but not much info on these beauties.  Anybody here have experience with these coral that you can share?  I've read they will likely to brown out and much harder to keep than bali millipora.  If you have successful growing these in your tank please share your experience and show off your pictures.

Happy reefing!

Spathulata_zpsa2b80b48.jpg

Hope this helps, 

From UniqueCorals care page

Keep this Acropora about 22" under  20k 400 watt Radium metal halide lights. We feed them several times a week with oyster eggs and other meaty, marine-based foods. Water parameters are not overly critical, in our experience. This coral takes a while to acclimate to new environments, so proceed carefully, and allow it time to recover and regain its color after you receive it.

3andhalfinch-aussie-purple-spathulata-14

Hope this helps,

From UniqueCorals care page

Keep this Acropora about 22" under 20k 400 watt Radium metal halide lights. We feed them several times a week with oyster eggs and other meaty, marine-based foods. Water parameters are not overly critical, in our experience. This coral takes a while to acclimate to new environments, so proceed carefully, and allow it time to recover and regain its color after you receive it.

3andhalfinch-aussie-purple-spathulata-14

Thanks for sharing that is interesting about feeding oyster eggs. Might have to try that.

sure, i have a few and they do well so far but i've only had them max two months or so. i've sold a few colony sized pieces to members on here and perhaps they will speak up and they are holding color but again it has been more than a few months max on those. i'll see about getting some photos next time i'm over the tank. they are absolutely gorgeous and coloration is typically very nice and comes in nicely (hardy). i like them because they look like hulked up millepora, haha.

sure, i have a few and they do well so far but i've only had them max two months or so. i've sold a few colony sized pieces to members on here and perhaps they will speak up and they are holding color but again it has been more than a few months max on those. i'll see about getting some photos next time i'm over the tank. they are absolutely gorgeous and coloration is typically very nice and comes in nicely (hardy). i like them because they look like hulked up millepora, haha.

That's awesome I would love to see some of your pictures.  Yes they are huge, it's like they've been on steroids :)

I heard my ears ringing. I have quite a few colonies in my tanks.  I just have one picture though (not a great picture).  I will take some more today.  They like high light and high flow because of the thick branches that they have.  Very colorful.  They are coming from Australia.  They are very similar to millis, just thicker branches and not as long of a polyp extension.  Slow growers.

post-30-0-77609500-1397829993_thumb.png

Wow nice size colony you got there Scott. How long have you had it? Did it brown out on you at first or will you able to keep it original color? What kind light do you have?

Thanks for sharing

Thanks.  That is one of my smaller ones :tongue: .  None of them have browned out that much since they are all under high light/flow.  The lighting that that one is under is a combination of 250w MH (Radiums) and LEDs.  It is about 5 inches below the water level. 

I had a frag for a few months (lost it in my move). I agree with Scott about the light and flow. Mine grew very slowly, I would say it was the slowest grower in my tank. 

Scott you gotta get pics of the other ones you have!!! One of my favorites, and I am with you man, thick nubby acros are awesome! They are basically all I have kept since the breakdown. I have three b j t they are all small frags except for a golden colored one.

Are all the spaths coming from aussie? Why in the world are they so freaking expensive too?

+1 Scott you need to post more pics. 

So it's been 2 weeks and so far so good, my Spath colonies didn't brown out or dying.  I placed them on top with high indirect flow.  Check out below for some colonies shot i took earlier today.

Full shot of purple tip colony

IMG_3542_zpse90986aa.jpg

Macro shot of the purple tip - It's so tasty :)

IMG_3539_zps30bf9632.jpg

Pink and red tip colony

IMG_3534_zps3e5f9d4f.jpg

Golden colony - love this color

IMG_3592_zps3807d794.jpg

Very nice! I picked up a small piece of spathulata from Dr. Macs at the last meet. I think they were calling it "spunky" or something. It browned out on the trip because they had put it in different lights for 2 weeks, and I'm sure stress, but it's bouncing back quick in my system. They are beautiful for sure, those are some great shots!

I don't know about long term but so far they are not too hard to keep. As far as lightning requirement I think they require strong full spectrum in order to keep the tips colored. I'm going to add a purple t5 bulb to my lightning system next week to see if I bring out the color some more.

I got most of my colonies from ERC. 

Here is one of my larger colonies I call big blue because it is a deep bluish purple.  Terrible picture.  I am trying to get a couple of better shots.

post-30-0-89392900-1398708826_thumb.jpg