Braces Snapped

xabo

Check the back and front panel to see if it appears mostly straight. Mine has been snapped over a year (no bowing) but it is a concern and I have plans to order a new one before the next earthquake or I lean up against the tank too hard. http://www.aquariumframeswholesale.com/custom-frames I know a user on here that has ordered and installed. Watch YouTube videos on how to do it and drain your tank half way if possible.

I'vie checked and see no evidence of bowing or stress. Will be looking to replace soon also.......maybe upgrade to a 250/300 DD.

Is it possible that the heat from the halides may have cause this?

I remember expressing concerns about that. I think your tank is an Oceanic. All tanks have some form of bowing . You can order another top rim. Just pan on moving things to another tank or tub. LMK I will be glad to assist . Been there done that. LEDs/T-5s next time ?

"1/4 inch glass on a 210. That can't be right. My 150 is 1/2 inch glass and when my braces broke I had some bowing."

Good catch........meant to say 1/2"

I remember expressing concerns about that. I think your tank is an Oceanic. All tanks have some form of bowing . You can order another top rim. Just pan on moving things to another tank or tub. LMK I will be glad to assist . Been there done that. LEDs/T-5s next time ?

Yeah......I remember. It's an Oceanic......have had it for about 15-18 years. Getting another top rim will save me loads of $$$$!! Where can I get one? Seriously considering LEDs.

Structurally speaking I would be very worried. The whole point of the braces is to prevent bowing and to keep the glass straight. Glass does not have the same level of flexibility as acrylic.

I don't know your system, any way to lower the water level to reduce the load?

I would be moving anything I care for away from the area, and trying to figure out what you will need to do if it pops.

Sorry, just planning ahead.

May be worth looking into glass braces as a replacement....but you'd need to get the bow out first I would think. Doesn't look like you have any of the plastic edge left to do the nylon screw and acrylic brace replacement approach

.......maybe upgrade to a 250/300 DD.

I think this is what we should focus on. My vote goes for 300 DD. I see you're in DC, let me know when you need help bringing it in. It will solve all your problems in one fell swoop, and you won't even have to think about the brace situation!

May be worth looking into glass braces as a replacement....but you'd need to get the bow out first I would think. Doesn't look like you have any of the plastic edge left to do the nylon screw and acrylic brace replacement approach

Can you give me more information on the glass braces?

I think this is what we should focus on. My vote goes for 300 DD. I see you're in DC, let me know when you need help bringing it in. It will solve all your problems in one fell swoop, and you won't even have to think about the brace situation!

Anyone carry the locally? What about That Pet Place?

Anyone carry the locally? What about That Pet Place?

Give Vince and Steve a call at Quantum, I know they get most everything in, and I know they are great with home delivery and things of that nature. Also, I know every now and then they rock a reall awesome tank sale.

Give Vince and Steve a call at Quantum, I know they get most everything in, and I know they are great with home delivery and things of that nature. Also, I know every now and then they rock a reall awesome tank sale.

Thanks

Can you give me more information on the glass braces?

It's not something I've done, but if you drain the tank down a good bit I would think you can run glass between the front and back pane. I would contact credible tank designer to determine how thick and wide the glass brace would need to be. Maybe hit up pimped-out aquariums (NAGA) or Artfully Acrylic to get their thoughts...and help installing.

Or, get a deep dimension tank and consider this extra motivation to act swiiftly. In the mean time, maybe run to Home Depot and get some heavy duty woodworking clamps as an interim fix....at least you could return/re-use those.

If I were you, I would have had this tank drained, and everything put into tubs yesterday with a brand new tank at the house today.

200 gallons of saltwater all over the place will cause a lot more of a headache(and money) than trying to find a new brace/bandaid for it.

If I were you, I would have had this tank drained, and everything put into tubs yesterday with a brand new tank at the house today.

200 gallons of saltwater all over the place will cause a lot more of a headache(and money) than trying to find a new brace/bandaid for it.

Thanks for the reply. Don't take this the wrong way, but everyone does not have the $$$$$$$ on hand to go out and purchase a 200+ gallon tank.

(edited)

Okay, I had 2 problems on my 220. 1st, one of the main braces was broken in the middle so I glued acrylic strips with weld-on #16 and screwed it all together with nylon screws & nuts

IMG 2261 (1024x683)

Then a new crack formed near the edge of the tank, which I glued

IMG 2263 (1024x683)

So I made this brace

IMG 2262 (1024x683)

Here it is installed

IMG 2264 (1024x683)

It's not pretty but I don't usually notice it. It's not TotM material but it seems to be holding!
Edited by Rob A

Check the back and front panel to see if it appears mostly straight. Mine has been snapped over a year (no bowing) but it is a concern and I have plans to order a new one before the next earthquake or I lean up against the tank too hard. http://www.aquariumframeswholesale.com/custom-frames I know a user on here that has ordered and installed. Watch YouTube videos on how to do it and drain your tank half way if possible.

I was the one who ordered from here and they are not as thick as the original braces, but are holding up fine. I didn't mention them though as his 210 is more than 18 inches wide.

I tried glass bracing first with 1/2 inch glass, but couldn't get it to set. So in theory my tank dry is 18 inches wide, and made of 1/2 inch glass on front and back...so I got two 17 X 2 inch plates and used an absurd amount of silicone to no avail. If you got this route I suggest you just go all the way and try euro bracing the edges.

Spoke with Vince over at Quantum......will try to find  a replacement top trim or remove the top trim and brace with 1/2" glass.