DuffyGeos 300g DT & 8 TANK FISH ROOM

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You sound busy! Pics or it didn't happen!

I guess it didn't happen till this weekend.

Why don't you come out early Friday afternoon and take a look for yourself... maybe you can pick up the tile saw and a beer. :cheers:

To prove Isaac wrong, here are some pics.

First off more gratuitous coral pics....we all love them

gallery_2633915_1398_76937.jpg

Here is a pic of the Humidistat (temporarily mounted) to the wall. I can set this for what ever level of humidity I want in the room, and it will automatically kick on if it rises above it, so the room does not have a moisture problem.

gallery_2633915_1398_88749.jpg

Here is a pic of the finished (except for some caulking) floor drain that was cut in the basement floor. I am standing in the carpeted basement looking into the fish room. The ladder is in front of the new DT stand. The door to the left is new and goes under the staircase to the finished storage room. I tested it out and water does a good job of getting into the floor drain and down into the drain pipe.

gallery_2633915_1398_46378.jpg

This view is standing in the closet and looking at the back of the closet door. As you can see the drain goes into the closet. I am going to add a stone threshold below the door to force any water in the fish room down the drain. When the threshold is installed, it will stick out into the closet area in back of the threshold so there will be a drain in the closet. I wanted to make sure if I decided to store anything that could spill or overflow in the closet that it would have the same level of "water security" as the fish room. Meaning it would not be able to get below any wall and would be able to find a drain. The drain cover will be cut into two pieces so it will still be removable.

gallery_2633915_1398_52240.jpg

Ken, you are talking like an experienced veteran.  Every tank has it's share of overflows and accidental floods.  You were very smart to put in this drainage system!

Ken, you are talking like an experienced veteran.  Every tank has it's share of overflows and accidental floods.  You were very smart to put in this drainage system!

Dave,

I assume I will mess up at some point and forget to turn something on or off, or spill something. So my goal is to be able to just run a hose at full blast and let water stay in the room and work it's way out by the drain. I will show the rest of the floor wall details tomorrow.

Looking good! All your planning and diligence is starting to show! Nice corals as well! Hope you have a FTS of the outside "completed" now!

Looking good! All your planning and diligence is starting to show! Nice corals as well! Hope you have a FTS of the outside "completed" now!

Thank you! So far I feel really good about my choices. One more day of work and I think we can place the tank. Still will have some trim items and installing the sink and counter top.

Here is a view of where the sink, counter top, refrigerator, and now possibly a small washing machine will go. (finding out I really don't like cleaning filter socks and it takes a long time). The right corner was where we had to demo the concrete floor to tie into the sewer line for the floor and the sink drains. We will touch up the floor staining after it cures. not a big deal, besides the floor is not suppose to be perfect and that is where the stained concrete looks great. You don't have to worry about messing it up.

gallery_2633915_1398_19823.jpg

This is detail of the floor wall joint. So further back  in my thread you will find a picture of the base plate (2 x 4 that is attached to the ground) and the Liquid Nail caulking under that so water can't get out. Then we used greenboard which is drywall rated for wet areas. That was then primed and will be painted with 2 coats of a paint that is designed for indoor pools and spas. This picture shows the joint below the greenboard where I have added yet another layer of protection which is silicone caulk below the greenboard to the floor. Used a little more then a case of caulk, and took 3 applications to fill the joint.

gallery_2633915_1398_63593.jpg

Then we installed a PVC baseboard. This is made out of plastic so no problem with water. I will then caulk the joint (again) between the baseboard and the floor,and the top of the baseboard and the wall to give that final waterproof stamp of approval.  Let the water flow! I plan on running a hose and washing down the floor to see where the water accumulates, and how deep. I want to know where I will have to look if I get a leak, then know which direction I can squeege it to the drain. The floor is not perfectly level (they never are), but I should be a be to hold at least 3" of standing water that all run to a 2" drain line.

gallery_2633915_1398_2986.jpg

Picture of the new door that we added for the closet under the stairs. This will be for storage, and maybe live rock, or a back up Rubbermaid container.

gallery_2633915_1398_52298.jpg

So here is one of my new additions to the build that I am glad I though of now. I tapped into the ductwork in the room and added a register that will sit about 4" above the top of the tank and will blow air between the top of the tank and the MH lights. We framed it out so it should fit well when the tank is in place.

gallery_2633915_1398_68853.jpg

Nice progress. Curious, what paint did you use that's for indoor pools etc?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Nice progress. Curious, what paint did you use that's for indoor pools etc?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Jack- I will have to get you the name of it, I picked out the color, we just have not bought it yet. Still primer on the walls. My painting contractor has used it before on a job for an indoor pool we worked on in McLean. Seemed to hold up very well.

Picture of the main DT stand with my back to where the sink and counter will be. We have primed and sealed the marine grade plywood stand. Then wrapped it with Azek which is a composite so it is 100% waterproof, and looks good. I will add trim to the top of the stand to frame in the 1/2" neoprene mat that goes on top of it. The upper right corner is the ceiling vent that was framed in. The crown moulding has been installed and most of the walls have been primed. Have to wait to move the tank into place to finish the priming on the far left wall.

gallery_2633915_1398_69986.jpg

Can not believe you said that.

I want to prepared for anything. If I have no problem with a open garden hose running in the room I should be ok with almost anything besides a blown out tank.